PDA

View Full Version : spalted malpe top

canada
06-05-2016, 03:07 AM
Hi Im just wondering if anyone has use timbermate on spalted maple and then used sand sealer to finish then stain or dye
just a question
Thanks

Andy40
06-05-2016, 05:15 AM
Hi Canada.

Great choice of kit. the LP-1SS is great!

Feel free to have a look at my LP-1SS build diary. http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4515

I did not sand the spalted cap (on the body and headstock face) at all at first, instead I applied ebony timbermate, then lightly sanded the top with 320 grit then 400 grit (so as to ensure that i did not sand through the veneer).

I sanded the Mahogany (back and sides of body and neck) with 180 grit, 220 grit, 240 grit, 320 grit and 400 grit to remove all machine marks first, then applied ebony timbermate and sanded back to pop the grain.

I then polished the binding with 0000 steel wool, 1200 grit and 2000 grit before taping off for staining.

The timbermate sealed the wood grain enough. No sanding sealer used.

I then stained the body with Karijini red Dingotone. I understand that you can't get Dingotone over there yet so I'd probably recommend getting colortone. There was another type of dye easy to get in Canada that one of the forumites put his hands on but i can't remember. Any stain of your choice.

I then finished the entire guitar with Tru-oil.

Good luck mate!

dingobass
06-05-2016, 08:11 AM
Wot Andy sed.

You should be able to get Colourtone dyes in Canada, try Stewmac.com

Rabbitz
06-05-2016, 09:05 AM
Wot Andy sed.

Even the Tru-Oil bit?

Geez, times they are a-changin'

Andy40
06-05-2016, 09:50 AM
Even the Tru-Oil bit?

Geez, times they are a-changin'

ohhhh got him Rabbitz!

actually I don't think I'll finish another guitar with Tru-oil. Its not bad, kinda shiny and durable..... but its a heavy finish and I found it to be very time consuming, finnicky to apply and get a good shine. The tru oil coats is why it took me most of 5 1/2 months to finish.

Even dingo tone MKI in the humidity takes less time. Its lighter and smellz great.:o

dingobass
06-05-2016, 10:45 AM
I chose to ignore the bit about poo oil.... its Friday and I am feeling generous, but lets not push our luck 😁

Fretworn
06-05-2016, 11:24 AM
I chose to ignore the bit about poo oil.... its Friday and I am feeling generous, but lets not push our luck ��

Home brew must have been successful....

canada
06-05-2016, 01:01 PM
Hello
thanks for the info guys. IM not sure what dye or stain to use. Andy40 that is one nice LP1SS IM looking at your diary and I have to go back to see how you filed in the spalted maple thats is exacly what im trying to do with mine but had to stop my neck was whorped neck didnt sit square in the body way off and I also have the same issue with the nut so i had to put it all aside but did have a second kits to take out my fustration on its st. Andy40 can you please send me a pm on the products u used on the cap so I can do some research here to see if i can get something simular to what u used. Im looking at making the giving the spalted maple an old rutic look to it but with high gloss to it like yours but i have to go back and read the part about adding the?? to to after you did the stain.
Thanks guys

Brendan
07-05-2016, 09:40 AM
Canada - try out www.stewmac.com for stains - they've got a great range and will ship pretty much anywhere. Other than that a local hardware (or even better a woodwork) store will have a range of stains and dyes for woods - most should be fine. Tru Oil is also available at gunshops - technically it's a gunstock varnish, but there are a number of guitar builders around the world using it as a finish.

Andy40
07-05-2016, 10:37 AM
Sorry Peter, just saw this.

I used Karijini red Dingotone. It comes as a finish kit with three stages, stage 1 is the stain coats, stage 2 is the intensifying coat (which intensifies the colour) stage 3 is the final coat. I did stage 1 and 2 with dingotone and instead of stage 3 I used tru oil as a finish.

Brendan pretty much covered what Tru oil is.

I also think you guys over there can get a finish package called Wudtone. http://www.wudtone.com/finishing-diy-kits/

Its difficult to get in Australia as we have to order it from overseas and customs takes its time. Wonderboy just did his tele in wudtone and he's from Maine (not sure how you spell that).

If I could't get Dingotone, I'd get Wudtone.

Andy40
07-05-2016, 10:39 AM
lol just found this....http://www.wudtone.com/australia/?page_id=4