PDA

View Full Version : June 2016 Guitar of the Month (for Guitars and Basses finished in May 2016)

adam
01-05-2016, 08:15 AM
June 2016 GOTM
Enter your finished guitar or bass here to be judged for Pit Bull Guitars June 2016 Guitar of the Month.

Please remember:

For Guitars or Basses finished in (or before) May 2016

One guitar/bass per member per month
It must be a Pit Bull Guitars kit (mods and upgrades acceptable)
Guitar or Bass must be finished and playable

We need at least 4 photos:
· full guitar shot from the front;
· close up of the body finish;
· shot of the back of the guitar; and
· close up of the headstock (please, no brand name logos)

Please post your photos in this thread. If you are having issues posting photos on the forum, please email them to adamboyle (at) pitbullguitars (dot) com

Please note: This competition is open to amateur guitar builders only. If you are making and selling guitars for profit, you are ineligible.

Competition for June closes 31 May 2016.

Joe Piler
07-05-2016, 12:07 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160506/29b3c3fa4bca0d1769295f378cd01a3e.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160506/75bacc0b49585127d7f4c8bf7c787eae.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160506/a84c0e38c69f3a16bfb38081bf8627de.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160506/4f36ee8394fa6f1196d0a57997c3e88d.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn D6603 met Tapatalk

Joe Piler
07-05-2016, 12:08 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160506/cfeeeaeebabd49a9a6735fa364e59ca1.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160506/a843423a06b7666be06e643cb34b64b5.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160506/703c0e3fd92ddf5a95900db3fa3506fa.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160506/a215a147fcc7dc6b55a83184c8ade632.jpg

Joe Piler
07-05-2016, 12:12 AM
Figured I'd enter my LP1S

As you can see she has a maple fretboard with custom inlays I fashioned from Fender pearloid green guitar picks.

The truss rod cover isn't on yet because she still needs finetuning i will also be taking her to a luthier for a nut and fret job.

The finish is a transparant acrylic paint with Tru oil over the top I didn't go for an extremely glossy finish but it has some shine to it.

The pickups are the infamous Seymour duncan Jb/'59 Combo

Here's the build diary: http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=5549

FrankenWashie
07-05-2016, 12:46 PM
He he, all those empty slots in your guitar rack......your LP looks a little lonely mate;)

Joe Piler
07-05-2016, 12:49 PM
He he, all those empty slots in your guitar rack......your LP looks a little lonely mate;)
That rack is emty because i finally convinced the missus to ley me hang my guitars on the wall a while back but I'll fill it up soon enough :D got a bunch of kit ideas floating around up here.

Fretworn
09-05-2016, 11:45 AM
Was it a deliberate choice to put the bridge pickup in back to front from usual? Love the green colour

Joe Piler
09-05-2016, 12:34 PM
Was it a deliberate choice to put the bridge pickup in back to front from usual? Love the green colour
It's actually the neck pickup that's back to front as the holes in the covers are over the magnets and not the screws i wasnt sure if i was supposed to unscruw the screws in the pockups for the cover so i didn't.

The neck pup ended up the other way round by accident, would it change the tone in any way?

Fretworn
10-05-2016, 11:20 AM
Usually the exposed polepieces are at the bridge end of the bridge pickup and the neck end of the neck pickup. To be honest I don't know if it makes a difference. If you Google it you find people who say it does matter and others that don't. The DiMarzio website says it depends on the design of the humbucker, but most pickups it makes no difference.

wokkaboy
10-05-2016, 11:28 AM
cool looking build Joe and first LP I've seen with a maple fingerboard really suits the green with the green inlays.
I doubt whether the reversed bridge pup will make much difference to the sound, which side was the wire exiting the pickup, on the control cavity side or opposite ?

Joe Piler
10-05-2016, 01:30 PM
cool looking build Joe and first LP I've seen with a maple fingerboard really suits the green with the green inlays.
I doubt whether the reversed bridge pup will make much difference to the sound, which side was the wire exiting the pickup, on the control cavity side or opposite ?
Thanks that's the reason i built it, couldn't find a commercially available green lp with maple frets.

The pup wires were on the right side of the cavity i think the mixup happened when i was putting the ring on i guess.

wokkaboy
10-05-2016, 01:33 PM
sure Joe, the bridge pup wire wouldn't be long enough if it exited the opposite side of the control cavity.
Now it's finished must be time for a video/sound demo ?

Joe Piler
10-05-2016, 01:39 PM
sure Joe, the bridge pup wire wouldn't be long enough if it exited the opposite side of the control cavity.
Now it's finished must be time for a video/sound demo ?
There is a rough setup video in my build diary and in the designated forum section, she's currently at the guitar tec's house getting her nut slots filed and frets straightened.

Joe Piler
10-05-2016, 01:39 PM
That sounded a bit dirty [emoji13] [emoji13] [emoji13]

huangmi
12-05-2016, 05:10 PM
Hi all, my name is Michael, i would like to thank Pitbull for giving me the opportunity of the first guitar i've ever built(it was made around july last year) the attached picture is my 7 string exotic ash explorer, hand carved and finished by me, it's my first project so i didn't expect to make it perfect e.g the carvings are abit off on some area, and the finish is alittle messy. Anyway i'd like to enter the competition for build of the month, and i'm looking at possibly purchasing another kit soon for my second project, for my next build i would like to request a 6 string ash explorer with ebony fret board, block inlays, les paul custom type binding on body and binding on fret board, and a floyd rose original trem with locking nut, i could source my own hardware as long as the cavities are cut. :)

Dedman
12-05-2016, 05:20 PM
:D Wow! that's a lot of work! Well done !

Andy40
12-05-2016, 05:22 PM
That is one sweet guitar my friend

wazkelly
12-05-2016, 06:12 PM
Love the grain in Ash bodies and the intricate carving looks great.

wokkaboy
13-05-2016, 10:37 AM
Hey Michael, awesome build. You need to submit pics of a close up of the headstock, close up of front body and the back of the guitar.

huangmi
21-05-2016, 04:07 PM
more pics of my 7 string explorer

Wayne.Mumford
22-05-2016, 12:20 PM
Wayne's ES-3 GOTM June 2016.
11415 11416
11417 1141811419

wokkaboy
22-05-2016, 02:05 PM
really nice looking build Wayne, this will be hard to beat

J.P
23-05-2016, 05:49 PM
really nice looking build Wayne, this will be hard to beat

+1 nice build

FrankenWashie
26-05-2016, 01:59 PM
2 thumbs up Wayne, wonderful execution on that burst.

zeromick
27-05-2016, 01:19 PM
Figured I'd throw Fang in the ring...

ST-1 body, Neck from JM-1, controls, pickups ect from the JM-1 as well

excluding the cost of the kit/s this build cost me $4 :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/roofdrop/fango1_zpspbsp3x7v.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/roofdrop/media/fango1_zpspbsp3x7v.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/roofdrop/fango4_zpsx21bynac.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/roofdrop/media/fango4_zpsx21bynac.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/roofdrop/fango3_zpsyyzclewe.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/roofdrop/media/fango3_zpsyyzclewe.jpg.html)

wokkaboy
27-05-2016, 01:26 PM
looks great Mick, nice job of the relic'ing. Also nice change to see colour photos !

stan
27-05-2016, 05:03 PM
great es 3 Wayne

awesome relic job Mick, that paint cracking looks spot on

apkane
29-05-2016, 09:26 AM
Tony's ST-1JR Ultra Short Scale (25'5 inch) Bass GOTM June 2016

We finished just in time...

The new owner is very happy with design

Its very pink

Headstock

ST-1JR kit, PBG N1M Maple neck, Tusq Bass Nut, Tonerider TRP1 Pickup, CTS pots and Orange cap.

wokkaboy
29-05-2016, 10:17 AM
wow cool build Tony and nice conversion to a bass. Bet your daughter loves it !

apkane
30-05-2016, 05:07 PM
Hey Wokka, yes she's wrapped. She whipped it out today for the first time at school band practice and passed her 2nd semester test. \m/

Dedman
31-05-2016, 01:02 PM
Ded comes sliding in at the last possible moment............
GD-1
Entwhistle Dark Stars (sound great)
push pulls on volume and tone for coil splitting, 3 way switch added
Ebay Gibson tuners
shotgun volume and tone knobs, 9mm case on 3 way switch, 38 Special case as a truss rod cover.
Snake is a casting of a vintage Japanese menuki (charm that goes under the handle wrap on a katana)
Copper covers aged in cold gun blue on trem and electrics.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice and ideas, much appreciated.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/full-shot_zpsrb8wyjui.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Body_zpss60primx.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Headstock_zpsdnvf0r0d.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Back_zpsubyn2mof.jpg

wokkaboy
31-05-2016, 01:06 PM
cool build Dedman, you achieved the look you were after. What have you wrapped the pickups in looks like stocking material ?

Dedman
31-05-2016, 01:59 PM
Cheesecloth that I stained using the same wash as the body

FrankenWashie
31-05-2016, 06:25 PM
Hey Wokka, yes she's wrapped. She whipped it out today for the first time at school band practice and passed her 2nd semester test. \m/

That is uber-awesome! Well done on the axe and the test!

Fuzzbeard
31-05-2016, 06:59 PM
That is awesome Dedman! It has been great watching it all come together.

Fretworn
01-06-2016, 10:56 AM
Great job Dedman! How does it play? I imagine it might be difficult play sitting down and unbalanced when playing standing up.

Dedman
01-06-2016, 11:17 AM
Sitting down is much better than I thought it would be, in fact its very comfortable. I haven't put the strap buttons on as yet because I never play standing up anyway :P

adam
04-06-2016, 08:01 AM
Another 6 awesome builds, thanks guys.

I will get the judges on the job and aim for an announcement Monday night.

andrewdosborne
04-06-2016, 08:46 AM
Just had a skim through this thread, great builds everyone and good luck!

adam
06-06-2016, 07:33 PM
Still waiting on a few of the Judges so we will announce the Winner tomorrow (Tuesday) night.

adam
07-06-2016, 06:33 PM
And the results are in...

Thank you to the Judges, including Guest Judges Andy40, PeterH and Darthdamo.

Here are the Judge's comments (in submission order)

1. Joe Piler's LP-1S

I like that this guitar has a theme. From the headstock image to the detailed neck artwork to the choice of colour and finally it’s name “poison ivy” it shows a lot of thought has gone into this build.
Nice choice of pups too so I bet it sounds sweet!

Well-built and some nice personal touches.

Great LP - love the green fret dots. Only comment to make is - is there a touch of stain on the binding at the base of the guitar? Could be that or a shadow. If it is stain - a quick go with a scraper like a knife blade should get rid of it.

His love for this build extended from inception to finish. It shines through in almost every aspect of this superb guitar. A commendable first build, love the green inlays and the hand painted look.

This build look pretty cool, however, there are a few details which could have been improved.
It looks like there is still colour on the binding and, on top of the headstock, there appears to be colour missing. Also, you should have had the truss rod cover installed before taking photos for the competition. I love the green position markers.

An eye catching build with the green stain/dot markers with the maple fretboard and the artwork on the headstock is a nice personal touch. An axe to be proud of, well done. Bonus point for posting a demo video those SD pups sound crisp!

2. Huangmi’s EXA-7

I really like this guitar. It’s a total original and a really great approach to this classic guitar that I and I bet most people have never seen before. Well done. It’s the kind of design that’ll look just as great in 40 years as it does today and will probably reach heirloom status! Nice job!

Wow a work of art, yet still so simple, fantastic.

Carved top is very special! Only issue for me is that the stripes take away from the detail in the carved body. Other than that - stunning.

Way to make an EX stand out even more! fantastic detail in the carving.

This is a great looking build, however, looking at it closer, there are a lot of details that could have been better. Having said that the carving is the stand out for me; a lot of time and effort has gone in to this and it shows, you should be proud.

Amazing job on this build, the carving and burning is very well done with the stripes and matching coloured hardware this is a fine example of a custom build, you have hit the ball out of the park! The only minor fault I could see is no truss rod cover and headstock logo to say you built it!

3. Wayne Mumford's ES-3

This is a ripper guitar! Making my GAS dial turn up to “purchase” is good indication that I like this guitar a lot. Great burst effect and nice classic choice of colour. Neck join looks pretty damn perfect too. My only criticism (and it’s a small one) is I would’ve loved to have seen a headstock decal- but that is totally personal taste and certainly wouldn’t stop me from wanting to pick this up and give it a whirl. Well done Wayne. Stellar effort!

Looks great, nice colour choice, I really like it.

Stunning burst - lots of depth there - looks amazing…

The mahogany burst is very unique. Such a tidy build, looks like she would sing some sweet Jazz tunes. I only wish there was a headstock logo.

This is a nice clean build, it looks like you have put a lot of time in making sure it all looks right. Nice Job.

Another beautiful example of this fine kit, burst is really well executed and the stain colours suit really well. Only minor fault is again no headstock logo.

4. Zeromick's ST1/JM-1 Hybrid

If I didn’t already know that this was a build I would swear that it’s a 30year old guitar that has seen way too many gigs at the Espy in St.Kilda. Great relic-ing job Zeromick. A very cool idea for a build. Great job!

You made this look as if it has been owned and well used for a decade or so. Great work.

Great relic job - only downside is that the fretboard doesn’t show the same wear.

It’s no secret that I am in love with this build. I caught myself admiring the final shots for a long time. More than most. This build is a work of art, it certainly challenged my perceptions about commercial guitar shapes.

This one is a great looking take on a relic guitar and every detail has been covered. However, I'm not sure about the vibrant colour, if you were going for the total relic look. Great job.

Another fantastic Mick hybrid build and the relicing has been done tastefully. A cool mash up of JM and ST this is a fine example how these kits can be fully customised.

5. Apkane’s ST-1 JR

What I love about this guitar is that you built it together with your daughter which is getting me excited about building a guitar for both my kids. What a great project to do for young musicians. I wish I’d had the opportunity to build a guitar with my Dad when I was a boy. The bass has turned out great and is seriously unique! I bet your daughter just loves it!

Fabulous what a great baby Bass.

Funky little bass - love the attention to detail! Looks like exactly what was ordered! One question - was the close up taken before intonation - all the saddles look to be in the same place?

How cool is this Jr Bass! from pick inlays to pink leopard spots and that pearloid guard sets it off.

For a young girl this would be very appealing, however, there are a couple of details that could have put it in a higher level for scoring: The holes on the headstock, which have been plugged, draw too much attention to them. I feel the headstock could have been covered with some veneer which would have made it a cleaner job. The pickups are out of alignment to the strings and the scratch plate at the base of the neck could have been shaped to fit the neck profile. I do like the colour.

great job of the guitar to bass conversion and the colours and paint theme are perfect for a young girl. Nice job of the headstock logo too. Only minor fault is the old tuner hole plugs being visible I would have preferred to see a solid paint or veneered headstock.

6. Dedmans GD-1

I’m impressed by the level of detail in this build. The scratch marks are a cool idea as are the cheesecloth pickup covers and the headstock detail ties the whole look together. As a teenager listening to Canabal Corpse and Slayer this guitar would’ve fit in quite well in my bedroom - I’m afraid though now it would just frighten my wife and kids! Great work Dedman- monstrous axe!

Awesome work well aged it looks as if it was just pulled from the ground.

Dark, brooding and looking great!

Love this guy's style. If you’re going to do a GD build, you go all out! This beast needs a coffin style hardcase.

I love the way every bit of detail has been covered for the theme you were going for, this one would look good in a Mad Max movie. Well done.

Top effort Dedman you really nailed the theme of this coffin shape guitar, haven't seen many of these kits built but this build should inspire others to have a go at building one.

Congratulations to the Runner Up...

Dedman's Macabre GD-1

Nice work Dedman, I think you have definitely maximised the GD-1's potential. Max Gothicness.

And the Winner is....

Congratulations Wayne.Mumford, your ES-3 was the Judge's pick for Pit Bull Guitars June 2016 Guitar of the Month.

Spectacular!

Dedman
07-06-2016, 07:33 PM
Woot! Thanks gents! Thanks to everyone who gave advice and ideas, it was a fun build. And if you see a coffin case for sale let me know!

Congrats to the other entrants and especially Wayne.

Fuzzbeard
07-06-2016, 08:34 PM
My favorite time of the month again. Congratulations Wayne, Dedman and all the other entrants.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

andrewdosborne
07-06-2016, 09:00 PM
Well done Wayne and all other entrants

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

wokkaboy
07-06-2016, 10:17 PM
Congratulations Wayne and runner up Dedman. Although there was only six entries it was tight judging them. Some good feedback from the guest judges well done.
Also well done to all the other entrants

Joe Piler
08-06-2016, 04:34 AM
Congratz to the winner and ty for the kind words i will be takibg the lessons learned from the mistakes made in this first build and make my following builds better.

Wayne.Mumford
08-06-2016, 05:48 PM
Thanks guys for the win, I wasn't expecting it. Well done to the other builds, especially Dedman,very interesting. Looking forward to doing another one, if I'm allowed ;-D but not till the budget improves.

Fretworn
10-06-2016, 11:37 AM
Congrats Wayne!