PDA

View Full Version : Clear Coats Peeling Off

B'Lark
30-04-2016, 12:43 PM
Hey guys,

I've been having a bit of trouble with my clear coats. They seem to not want to stick to the coloured layers much at all, I put some masking tape on one part to help stop me sanding through while I sanded down some runs, and when I ripped the tape off a good chunk of clear came with it. Any thoughts? Did I sand down my colours too finely? I think I only went to 400 Wet sanding but it might have been 600 or 800...

Brendan
30-04-2016, 01:01 PM
Sorry - what sort of clear coat are you using?

B'Lark
30-04-2016, 01:28 PM
Oh of course. I'm using MTN94 for my colours and White Knight Crystal Clear Acrylic for clears

Dedman
30-04-2016, 01:47 PM
Masking tape can be evil evil stuff. If your clear was fairly fresh, your tape been on a few days, it can spell disaster.
Always remove tape slowly, pulling it back over itself a little at a time. I had a mate decide to help me un-mask a car once, took me two days of touch ups to fix his "help". Let clear dry a week before masking over it, especially if there is a few coats and get tape off when the paint on the tape is touch dry.

kimball492
30-04-2016, 10:38 PM
I used white Knight over a dye and had a few issues,but then used ubeauts sanding sealer between dye and acrylic and it was fine. Make sure you use low tack masking tape. As it might be the strong adhesive that's pulling layers off.