PDA

View Full Version : Bought New Guitar... and there's a CRACK!

HeadBandGuy
29-04-2016, 08:29 PM
Hi all, not sure if this is posted in the right area,
please let me know, and i'll move it.

I just bought a Kramer Satchel Signature Guitar, and got a case with it, unforunately i didnt check it thoroughly at the store, and when i checked it out at home, have since found this crack in the neck joint.

im gonna call tomorrow, but is this anything to worry about? specially cos i paid a pretty penny for it.

and it looks to have a bit of overspray on it too...

any assistance would be amazing. cheers.

pablopepper
29-04-2016, 08:42 PM
Damn, that thing is wicked. Shame about the crack, it definitely needs to go back.

kimball492
29-04-2016, 09:15 PM
Ouch that's not good. I would take it back get another guitar or at best get your money back. Give it a good polish and clean. Good luck

HeadBandGuy
29-04-2016, 09:17 PM
Dang.... thats what i was afraid of!
back it does then! :/
i may have to find something less cool than this. :(

kimball492
29-04-2016, 09:21 PM
Check out some reviews on guitars ask advise. Surprised shop didn't know it was there. How long you been playing guitar HeadBandGuy

kimball492
29-04-2016, 09:23 PM
Im surprised they didn't spot the damage. Check out some reviews on guitar ask advice. How long you been playing HeadBandGuy.

HeadBandGuy
29-04-2016, 09:24 PM
I am too.
they got it in from sydney for me.
i dont think it got damaged on the ride home, specially being in a case.
does this kind of thing happen often with guitars and cracks?

not long. have tried learning on and off for over a year, more of a drummer and pianist.
so, yeah love music, not long playing.

kimball492
29-04-2016, 09:27 PM
Thanks not a good place to have damage part of the neck pocket is cracked badly. Looks like it's been dropped or fallen back on headstock.is there any damage on back of headstock at top. No good worrying take it back and choose something else I'm sure you'll be happy with. Or as I suggested get your money back.

Brendan
29-04-2016, 09:30 PM
That sucks mate - hope you can get something as nice!

HeadBandGuy
29-04-2016, 09:30 PM
worst case scenario is i have to keep it, and get the steel panther guys to sign it, and then... idunno.

i was afraid of something like that, feared that it had been dropped or not packaged right. not liking my chances of getting another one, hard to find my personality in a guitar the way this one has been designed. (i love purple, and leppard, particularly sno leppard)

HeadBandGuy
29-04-2016, 09:48 PM
cheers man.
hope so too.

anyone know if i was to keep it, what i should pay for it?

kimball492
29-04-2016, 10:04 PM
Hard to say but that's a hard repair and means a complete respray on back to do properly. As crack seriously affects value. What did you pay for it

HeadBandGuy
29-04-2016, 10:09 PM
fair enough.
i thought it would be a hard one to do and sorts.
was on special for 1300.

kimball492
29-04-2016, 10:14 PM
I'd get your money back. Because is you buy it and repair it. The repair will always knock the value right down, especially if you resell it. Good luck hope you can sort it out.

HeadBandGuy
30-04-2016, 03:06 PM
So. I returned the guitar. There may another in another store...
However... they have it until the guy that got it onto store comes in on monday... havent got my dosh. They have the guitar. And awaiting the fate...

I know its their word against mine. :-( but yeah. Will see how it goes...

kimball492
30-04-2016, 10:50 PM
HeadBandGuy, I would suggest you tell them the truth that you didn't realise there was a crack until you photographed it. Then shared the information on a guitar making forum. Your just going to have to stick to your guns and be strong. Otherwise they may try to blame you for the damage. As long as you are positive that you had no part in the damage. Goodluck

HeadBandGuy
01-05-2016, 07:37 AM
Yeah.
thats it.
thats exactly what i was.
1completely honest how it all came about, how i didnt notice it till i took it home and had a look at it, didnt mention the photographs or the forum, but will do on monday.

they did do a write up on their return of good sheet, and they have circled "is the customer entitled to a refund? - yes"
and do have my bank account details, even though i paid cash.

basically because the person that dealt with it, wasnt there on the saturday morning, and will be back monday.
i know a hundred percent that i didnt damage it in anyway... even though that sounds so cleache.

*and* the guy i spoke to about returning it said there was no movement in the body, so it appears to be surface crack of sorts...

dingobass
01-05-2016, 09:07 AM
Surface crack or not, it is clearly a major fault.
They should give you a refund as they should have insurance and a manufacturer guarantee to cover this sort of issue.

wokkaboy
01-05-2016, 10:15 AM
bummer Headbandguy it's a cool looking axe. Hope it all works out and you get your dosh back. Shouldn't be an issue.

Lesson for next time you buy an axe to thoroughly inspect it before you leave the shop. Is it new or second hand ?

HeadBandGuy
01-05-2016, 10:38 AM
bummer Headbandguy it's a cool looking axe. Hope it all works out and you get your dosh back. Shouldn't be an issue.

Lesson for next time you buy an axe to thoroughly inspect it before you leave the shop. Is it new or second hand ?

Oh indeed!
lesson learnt.
no matter how much of a rush you in getting back to work, or how trusting i was of the sales guys...
i need to check it thoroughly!!..

it is brand new, and incredibly hard to get a hold of.

i can just imagine that when the guy that orgnaised it for me, he will say that there was nothing like that on it when he held it and inspected it... :/

HeadBandGuy
01-05-2016, 10:40 AM
Surface crack or not, it is clearly a major fault.
They should give you a refund as they should have insurance and a manufacturer guarantee to cover this sort of issue.

Yeah, i guess this is true on their end of insurance and all, always forget they would have that kind of thing going on...

now i know what it feels like, and looks like, guess im gonna have to get an IB-1 kit or something simila and try an mimic the style.

HeadBandGuy
02-05-2016, 01:02 PM
I have received word from the store that it is a lacquer crack, and nobody has picked up on it since they got it in...
they will:
1. try and source another purple leopard model from another one of their stores.
2. offer me a refund.
3. or offer me the current one at a discounted price.

couple of questions,
1. should i accept the other guitar if they can source it, and is in perfect condition?
2. or should i take the full refund and get something else?
3. OR, if i were to take the cracked guitar, how much SHOULD I PAY FOR IT?
I have paid AUD $1300 for it currently.

wokkaboy
02-05-2016, 01:08 PM
hey HBG, at least the store has offered a refund or are trying to find another guitar the same.

I wouldn't buy the guitar you have for a discounted price. Chances are over time that crack will get worse and eventually may not keep tune and a weak neck join will mean sustain will be lower.

Personally I would get your full refund, at least you know you will have your cash back. The store could take months to find you another guitar the same model and the longer they have your money less chance of getting it back.

Then you can ask the shop to try and source another guitar and you have the security of having your cash back.

HeadBandGuy
02-05-2016, 01:15 PM
thanks man for the advice! appreciate it immensely!
so many thing to consider, that i never would have thought of, being a greenhorn at this...
well, if they cant find me a replacement by the end of the week, ill be hitting up for a full refund.
ill keep the case though, my omen extreme fits in there nice.

kimball492
02-05-2016, 01:25 PM
Great news about them accepting liability and giving you different options. As woks says I'd get your money back if at all possible.Because you don't want to be in a situation where they take ages getting you a guitar hanging on to your money. I wouldn't accept the guitar at a discount. Woks is right structurally it is not sound, and you don't know what's going on underneath. It will never sound the way it should and will only get worse. Great news again good luck.

wokkaboy
02-05-2016, 01:28 PM
HBG they won't let you keep the case if the guitar came with the case and they are giving you a full refund.

I wouldn't get too attached to a case, they are readily available. The PBG ones are good value for money

HeadBandGuy
02-05-2016, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.
you and the guys on the kramer forums have been very supportive about returning it.
thanks for the confirmation of not accepting it at a discounted rate.
yeah, so they have said give us a couple of days. ill do that. will contact them thurs/fri and see what they have found.
the case is a generic one, i may just return it too, and hit up a pitbull one, i did have a look a little while ago, but thats all i have done.
so, ill get a full refund, and unfortunately wont be able to get the guitar signed by steel panther, that would have been a fun dream, but i want a guitar to play over just a gimic/souvenir factor...

HeadBandGuy
03-05-2016, 06:37 PM
so...
i received a phone call today.
that have one from queensland coming for me.
they originally couldnt get this one, but have done something, and are replacing the guitar for me! should receive it on monday!
will give a decent check over too before i take hold of it.
so, some pretty good news today to hear, specially since i dislocated a finger at football tonight.

Brendan
03-05-2016, 08:58 PM
Sweet - sounds like a score - sorry to hear about dislocating your finger...

HeadBandGuy
09-05-2016, 06:07 PM
I have picked it up!
scratch and dent/crack FREE!!! :)
i couldnt be any more happier!

wokkaboy
09-05-2016, 06:58 PM
cool HBG, so is this a totally different axe for the same price ?

HeadBandGuy
09-05-2016, 08:48 PM
Yeah man.
completely new axe!
last serial number(with crack) was 117S
this one is 120S. i made sure of that right away, just incase they happened to repair the crack.
no cracks, no overspray, maybe a little rubber scuff from the headstock resting on a wall stand or something.
but other than that, perfect!!! :)

now all i have to do is work out where to get it signed by steel panther and im laughing!!