PDA

View Full Version : I have an Emerson Les Paul deluxe control pots and jacks

Laz101
29-04-2016, 02:23 AM
Hi wiring gurus, I was wondering as I don't want a pickup selector on my les Paul how can I rearrange the circuit so that I can Have two volume one tone,remove the extra tone pot and fit a push pull pickup selector. Any options and/or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Cheers.

Fretworn
29-04-2016, 11:15 AM
So, do you want one of the volumes or the tone to be the push-pull, or do you want the missing tone to be replaced by a push-pull switch? And do you want the tone to be a master tone for both pickups, or to just affect on of the two pickups and let the other pickup exist without a tone control?

fender3x
29-04-2016, 11:41 AM
I don't think you can do it with a push-pull. You could do something similar to that with a three position rotary switch.

... But there are other options... simplest would be to wire it conventionally with two tones and two volumes. When you don't want the bridge pickup just roll off it's volume to zero.

You could also use two pots with push pull switches. That would give you two tones, two volumes and an on-off switch for both pups.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

stan
29-04-2016, 11:46 AM
it may be simpler to do a new circuit rather than modify this one...
Member wierdbits will have a good idea on this one

wokkaboy
29-04-2016, 11:54 AM
Laz, agree with Fender3X a push pull pot only gives you 2 positions where you need 3 positions.

Easiest solution would be a blend pot in one of the tone pots and the other tone pot can be master tone.

Why don't you want to use the conventional switch ? Presume you will cover up the hole ?

Anyway hang tight Laz and Weirdbits will have a few more options as I have only given you one option

You could use 2 push pull pots on the volume pots to turn each humbucker on and off and then keep both tone pots

WeirdBits
29-04-2016, 02:54 PM
Most of the options have already been suggested, maybe a couple of other possibilities. But, what is your aim for the wiring, what are you trying to achieve? Is it just to get rid of the toggle switch on the upper bout and/or have no toggle switch at all? Do you only want a master tone? Do you really want to use push/pulls (you'd need two to give you all the pickup positions)? Do you want to keep the four standard pot holes without modifying them?

If we know what you are trying to achieve we can hopefully work out some viable options for you.

Laz101
29-04-2016, 03:11 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Exactly right weirdbits I'm trying to do away with the toggle switch completely. Two pickups trying to work out what will be the best options. There are two wires on the pickups so can't split coils etc. just trying to get some versatility and do away with the upper bout switch.

Thankyou

fender3x
29-04-2016, 09:10 PM
If you don't want to coil - split you don't need any switches. If you like that harness you should be able to use it as is. Rolling the volume back all the way is the same as turnings its pup off electrically. Rolling the volume up all the way is the same as turning its pup all rhe way on.

The harness you have is has been tweaked a bit to prevent treble fade when turning down the volume.

If you really want switches I think the least invasive change would be to put a three way rotary switch where on of the tone pots is. Or replace both tone pots with push pull 500k pots that switch the pups on/off.

I looked at what they charge for that harness...and that made me think that if you don't like it as is, you may want to sell it to someone who does on evilbay, and build the one you want. That Emerson circuit would not be hard (or expensive) to re-create.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

WeirdBits
29-04-2016, 10:06 PM
Using it as-is just without a switch will mean that the volumes are linked, like an LP, so turning one pickup all the way down will mute both pups. If you wire it like a bass with independent volumes (output on left lug and pickup on middle lug), then you'll be able to turn each pickup down without affecting the other... but the treble bleeds are a potential problem, as you will get treble leaking to output at low'ish volume settings.

Two push/pulls would allow you to switch each pickup off individually and keep the treble bleeds, but you would have to replace two of the pots in your nice loom. A 3-way rotary switch would allow you to replace one pot with the switch and have two volumes and a master tone. I guess it all comes down to how often you switch pickup positions, and which you would find easiest to use... push/pulls, rotary switch, or just independent volumes.