PDA

View Full Version : Dingotone finish coat over stamp pad ink?

Andy40
27-04-2016, 04:32 PM
DB,

Just before you throw me in the naughty warehouse. I have a question.

I have been trialing three finishes on a scrap bit of pine, acrylic, DT final coat and DT neck final coat, that i have had left over. The humidity is a bit kinder in Brissy at the moment and I'm determined to crack the DT finish code on the east coast.

The scrap pieces of pine have been treated with ebony timbermate, sanded back, then stained with a black/blue burst with stamp pad ink.

Obviously I am streaking ahead with the coats of acrylic (due to drying times), but over the past couple of weeks I've probably managed to apply 4 coats of the DT final coat and DT neck final coat. Unfortunately it just seems to be soaking in, not really forming a "coat" as such....yet.

Will it eventually form a "coat" over stamp pad ink or am I just dreaming?

I will brace myself for your answer......:eek:

wokkaboy
27-04-2016, 04:54 PM
Hey Andy, I'd say the DT should harden ok but not sure how lightfast the ink pads will be ie they may lose colour over time.

try leaving the DT coated samples near some air flow may help the curing time

Sure DB will comment soon, but expect to be thrown in the naughty warehouse where no one can count how many guitars you are building bwahahahha

dingobass
27-04-2016, 05:00 PM
The answer to your question is simple.
The final coat wont work very well unless applied over either the stain coat or both stain and intensifier coats or another oil based sealer.....

I award you ten points for effort but take five off for being a muppet😂😂😂

Andy40
27-04-2016, 05:32 PM
Thanks Wokks and DB. I thought so. I guess I just needed to hear it from the experts before I abandoned my trial.

On a lighter note, I have been going great guns with my TLA-1R. The last intensifier coat has improved the streaking something fierce and I'll be moving on to the final coats soon. IF I am successful (and I intend to be) I should be able to provide DB with dates and average relative humidity for all of the coats and a report as to how well each one worked.:cool:

Fingers crossed.