PDA

View Full Version : DrNomis_44's Hackintosh Build

DrNomis_44
27-04-2016, 12:44 PM
Hi everyone,

Thought I would start another one of my threads after getting my ASRock Z77 Pro4-M Motherboard to successfully boot-up, anyway, after a suggestion by Keloooe in another thread in the Home Recording Forum, I am planning on using my motherboard to build a Hackintosh as it is something I've heard/read about a lot on the internet, but have never tried doing it myself, so I thought that I would give it a go and maybe learn some new skills in the process, who knows, it could even be fun, so here's a couple of pics of the Motherboard, note that I have swapped out the CPU Heatsink:

And here's a screenshot of the Motherboard's BIOS Setup screen, showing that it does indeed boot-up:

I scored the Motherboard from a computer case that was next to some rubbish bins located not far from my mailbox in the car park where I live, pretty lucky find isn't it?

So, over the rest of this year I will be working on getting my Hackintosh up to the point where it is booting up into a recent version of Mac OS X, lots of fun and exciting times ahead.

Feel free to post comments and suggestions.

keloooe
27-04-2016, 02:22 PM
Nomis, I read you are using a 1x8GB stick of RAM, a 2x4 kit would run better, the more sticks, the easier the CPU can spread out its load, so if you can grab another stick that is the same down the line, it will be very beneficial!

andrewdosborne
27-04-2016, 02:25 PM
Interested to see how you go with this. I built a hackingtosh about 7 years ago using an Intel motherboard with good success.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

DrNomis_44
27-04-2016, 02:30 PM
Nomis, I read you are using a 1x8GB stick of RAM, a 2x4 kit would run better, the more sticks, the easier the CPU can spread out its load, so if you can grab another stick that is the same down the line, it will be very beneficial!

Cheers Keloooe, I'm actually looking at maxing-out my DAW PC by eventually filling all the Ram slots up with 8Gb Ram Sticks, my Gigabyte GA Z68XP UD3 Motherboard Manual says that the Motherboard can support up to 32Gb of Physical Ram, so when I can afford it I'll buy some extra sticks, for the time being I'll have to make do with 8Gb of Ram till my finances permit buying more.

My Desktop DAW PC has the Gigabyte GA Z68XP UD3 Motherboard installed in it and it's the one I'm using right now to get online and log onto this forum.

DrNomis_44
27-04-2016, 02:32 PM
Interested to see how you go with this. I built a hackingtosh about 7 years ago using an Intel motherboard with good success.

Cheers mate, if I run into problems I'll know who to come to for advice, what version of OS X are you running on your Hackintosh?

Emily
27-04-2016, 02:56 PM
I recently hackintoshed my existing PC (the parts happened to be compatible) which was pretty simple. I used this guide http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-guides/172672-unibeast-install-os-x-el-capitan-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html#create_unibeast

DrNomis_44
27-04-2016, 03:11 PM
I happen to have a couple of spare 80Gb Sata HDD, would they be okay to use in my Hackintosh build or do I need to buy a bigger HDD?

Emily
27-04-2016, 03:14 PM
Don't see why 80GB wouldn't work. El Capitan takes up way less room than that.

keloooe
27-04-2016, 03:23 PM
Should be fine Doc for the HDD!

kimball492
27-04-2016, 03:30 PM
How lucky are you Doc to find a working motherboard lol. Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket this week too. Well looks like Kels and Emily will be a great source of information in your Hackintosh build. Have fun.

DrNomis_44
27-04-2016, 03:36 PM
How lucky are you Doc to find a working motherboard lol. Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket this week too. Well looks like Kels and Emily will be a great source of information in your Hackintosh build. Have fun.

Yep...lol, I still can't believe I managed to get the Motherboard to boot-up first time I tried it out, part of me is wondering why the previous owner threw it out in the first place.

keloooe
27-04-2016, 03:44 PM
Its a pretty nice board, especially when new...

DrNomis_44
27-04-2016, 03:52 PM
Its a pretty nice board, especially when new...

It looks like a fairly modern board to me, there's an integrated HDMI port on it where all the integrated USB ports are, also it supports DDR3 2800+ Ram Sticks, what's really good is that there's a website where I can download the user manual and other stuff on it, not only that, the onboard sound supports THX, there's a total of 4 Ram slots on the board, I'm pretty happy with what I scored for practically nothing except my time and effort walking down 1 flight of stairs, to the rubbish bins, and back again.

kimball492
27-04-2016, 04:51 PM
Hey Doc, Let's just hope all your ports work and then you'll have a hackintosh up n running in no time. The only time I've thrown motherboards out is when there's port issues or overheating. But some guys that want the latest boards just swap em out and get rid of the old board,let's hope yours is the latter. All good news so far that it boots up. I'd plugin a hard drive in some memory fans maybe load win 7-8 connect things to Usbs ports etc and let it run for 24 hours. If all is ok then proceed with your hackintosh build.

DrNomis_44
27-04-2016, 05:36 PM
Hey Doc, Let's just hope all your ports work and then you'll have a hackintosh up n running in no time. The only time I've thrown motherboards out is when there's port issues or overheating. But some guys that want the latest boards just swap em out and get rid of the old board,let's hope yours is the latter. All good news so far that it boots up. I'd plugin a hard drive in some memory fans maybe load win 7-8 connect things to Usbs ports etc and let it run for 24 hours. If all is ok then proceed with your hackintosh build.

As it just so happens, I have a Genuine set of Microsoft Windows 7 DVDs which I could install on my Hackintosh PC just to confirm that the board is good as per your suggestion, another way I could test the USB ports to see if they all work, that I can think of, is to boot the motherboard up into the BIOS screen and see if I can enable the USB ports, if I can it'd be a reasonably safe bet that they're working, if not then that could indicate that they don't work.

But yeah, I do appreciate the importance of making sure I start with a good motherboard that works as it's supposed to.

kimball492
27-04-2016, 05:55 PM
Emma and Kels will tell you how long the installation of the hackintosh hacks take if its a short time then go straight to the hackintosh setup. I think my El Capitan took about 20- 30 mins install that's on a Mac no hacks of course. Good luck

DrNomis_44
27-04-2016, 06:21 PM
Emma and Kels will tell you how long the installation of the hackintosh hacks take if its a short time then go straight to the hackintosh setup. I think my El Capitan took about 20- 30 mins install that's on a Mac no hacks of course. Good luck

So I'm guessing that I'll probably have to buy something like a Mac OS X El Capitain Installation DVD before I do anything else, I think I know where I can buy one, possibly JB Hi-Fi in Casuarina since they do sell Intel Macs.

Dedman
27-04-2016, 06:34 PM
excuse my ignorance, but what's the advantage of installing a Mac OS on Windows hardware?

DrNomis_44
27-04-2016, 06:42 PM
excuse my ignorance, but what's the advantage of installing a Mac OS on Windows hardware?

From what I've read online, PC hardware can cost less than equivalent Mac hardware, so the advantage is that it's cheaper.

Also, Apple have tightened things up with their hardware so that there's less upgrade options than PC hardware because the Apple hardware is proprietary, if you want to add more USB, or Firewire ports to a PC it's relatively easy to do compared to Apple hardware, yes you could plug in a hub with extra ports on a Mac.

Dedman
27-04-2016, 06:48 PM
Can't argue with that. A friend used to bag me for running Windows for my graphics a few years back because he ran Mac in studio and Mac was king in his mind!. His studio is now all PC LOL. I was lucky last year when the dollar was at $1.25 US I built a new box with all US sourced components except the case and power supply, saved close to $800 against local prices and it kicks arse :)

kimball492
27-04-2016, 06:49 PM
Hi Dedman, Well you get access to the world of Mac OS X Use Logic X,Aperture,Final Cut Pro, Garage Band. Plus others. In the studio I use Macs and PCs. In my opinion I believe you can get far superior PC computers for third of price and use cutting edge components. I guess it's like some people love Les Pauls others love Strats. I love some of what Logic does, but for mixing love Pro Tools. In truth I prefer PCs I find Apple software a bit slow and unresponsive. But others hate PCs lol

DrNomis_44
27-04-2016, 06:52 PM
Can't argue with that. A friend used to bag me for running Windows for my graphics a few years back because he ran Mac in studio and Mac was king in his mind!. His studio is now all PC LOL. I was lucky last year when the dollar was at $1.25 US I built a new box with all US sourced components except the case and power supply, saved close to $800 against local prices and it kicks arse :)

To buy a new Mac Pro that's capable of running the latest versions of Mac OS X would cost me something like $3000.00, whereas the equivalent PC hardware would be roughly a third of the price.

Dedman
27-04-2016, 06:53 PM
Pretty sure my mate went from Pro-Tools to Avid but don't quote me on that, he starts talking Mastering speak and my eyes glaze over, I smile and nod a lot. ( he runs 12th and Vine Post here on the GC)

Nice thing is I can do the same to him with 3d tech speak

DrNomis_44
27-04-2016, 06:58 PM
I'm mostly building a Hackintosh for fun, but it'd also be cool to see if I can actually use it as a DAW computer.

The motherboard I'm going to use in my Hackintosh build didn't cost me a cent, only my time and effort removing it from it's old case, putting it in it's current one, and testing it to see if it works.

kimball492
27-04-2016, 06:59 PM
Some one did a costing of a Current PC for studio Use it was about $1500. Using a new Mac Pro trash can as they call them, it was approx $8000-$10000 the reason being is you cannot add HD Audio cards Uad internal cards you had to buy external boxes to put them in then join them to the trash can via FireWire thunderbolt and usb. These all install internally on a PC. But I do love the look of the tall Aluminum Mac Pro. Cheese graters as they call them.

DrNomis_44
27-04-2016, 07:04 PM
Some one did a costing of a Current PC for studio Use it was about $1500. Using a new Mac Pro trash can as they call them, it was approx $8000-$10000 the reason being is you cannot add HD Audio cards Uad internal cards you had to buy external boxes to put them in then join them to the trash can via FireWire thunderbolt and usb. These all install internally on a PC. But I do love the look of the tall Aluminum Mac Pro. Cheese graters as they call them.

How's this for a radical idea?, build a Hackintosh into a Mac case using a compatible PC motherboard, I just remembered that I have a spare late 90's era G4 Mac that I could use, but don't know if it's do-able.

Dedman
27-04-2016, 07:35 PM
Build it inside a small trash can :)

DrNomis_44
27-04-2016, 07:38 PM
Build it inside a small trash can :)

Apparently that's the nickname given to the metallic silver case that Apple use to house their Mac Pro tower computers in.

Dedman
27-04-2016, 07:43 PM
I've been collecting bits off and on to do a entertainment PC steampunk style possibly in a wooden case with lots of knobs and dials and external hoses that don't actually do anything

kimball492
27-04-2016, 07:43 PM
You can do this Doc but it's a bit involved you have to cut areas of the case and a few other things.
These guys are brilliant at what they do have some lovely conversion products
http://www.thelaserhive.com/kits/powermac-g4-conversion-products/
http://youtu.be/tsLqOz5ZAnw

http://youtu.be/thluQJVL40s

kimball492
27-04-2016, 07:47 PM
The steampunk theme sounds fun dedman you could use external water coolers to make it look even more original.

The new Mac Pro is a stunning piece of engineering inside.but all your extra audio device's need extra external boxes tfit them in.

DrNomis_44
27-04-2016, 07:51 PM
I've been collecting bits off and on to do a entertainment PC steampunk style possibly in a wooden case with lots of knobs and dials and external hoses that don't actually do anything

That sounds pretty radical, I've always like the Steampunk look, it reminds me of Joules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

keloooe
27-04-2016, 07:53 PM
Ok so i only read up to the end of page 2 so I dont forget what Im going to say... Doc, the process takes a while as there are custom bootloaders and stuff to do, you might as well do multiple HDDs and do a DUAL BOOT system, which is extremely easy, if you can get OSX running on the Hackintosh the no doubt you could dual boot Win7,8 or 10 that you can select on boot startup.

Also Doc where is the El Cap DVD going to be installed?

EDIT: about the trash can Pro, it is so damn expensive because Apple are using WORKSTATION grade hardware, thats the entire main focus on the Pro. Doing a Hackintosh for any of the main Mac units is the same thing but just CONSUMER grade hardware. Plus you can start small at something around $1000 and go as high as the compatibility list can go!

DrNomis_44
27-04-2016, 08:00 PM
Ok so i only read up to the end of page 2 so I dont forget what Im going to say... Doc, the process takes a while as there are custom bootloaders and stuff to do, you might as well do multiple HDDs and do a DUAL BOOT system, which is extremely easy, if you can get OSX running on the Hackintosh the no doubt you could dual boot Win7,8 or 10 that you can select on boot startup.

Also Doc where is the El Cap DVD going to be installed?

I was thinking along the lines of having two HDDs in my Hackintosh PC, one as the System drive and the other as the Audio drive (for audio recordings), then I would install El Capitain on the System drive, of course I could do as you're suggesting and make it a Dual-Boot system, I don't know if Microsoft will let me install Windows 7 onto the Hackintosh as a dual-boot using my Genuine Windows 7 DVDs, since they were registered with my Desktop DAW PC before I made the jump to Windows 10, I'd probably have to purchase a new licensing code.

kimball492
27-04-2016, 08:14 PM
Here you go Kels you'll find this an interesting read.http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2014/1/17/new-mac-pro-or-old-mac-pro-how-do-the-numbers-work-for-pro-t.html
Personally I love the look of the cheese grater on the left look at all the extras you have to buy for the new one on the right
P.s Kels how'd the recording go

kimball492
28-04-2016, 01:24 PM
In ref to private messaging you Doc you have to empty your inbox before anymore can be sent.

wokkaboy
28-04-2016, 01:36 PM
thanks for the reminder for Doc there KB, pretty sure my inbox is full too !

I'll empty it now

kimball492
28-04-2016, 01:41 PM
Hey Woks what's going on in the luthiers lair

wokkaboy
28-04-2016, 01:43 PM
haha you crack me up KB,
haven't had much energy weeknights so not much since last weekend.

have a look on 4D Guitars FB we got a door cut in #3 barrel and its hinged, sanded and stained it with wudtone Golden Rod

kimball492
28-04-2016, 01:49 PM
That's spooky I'm just searching for my wudtone golden rod that I bought from DB ages ago lol. It was a special blend he did for 1959 style Les Paul of Saffron and Golden Rod

wokkaboy
28-04-2016, 02:17 PM
wow that is spooky there KB ! haha golden rod must be flavour of the week !

kimball492
28-04-2016, 03:04 PM
P.s Barrel looks great Woks do you sell them.

DrNomis_44
28-04-2016, 03:07 PM
In ref to private messaging you Doc you have to empty your inbox before anymore can be sent.

I emptied-out the contents of my inbox into a folder this morning so now my inbox should be empty, try pm-ing me again.

wokkaboy
28-04-2016, 03:09 PM
hey Doc sorry about the thread jack, me and KB are shockers hahah

@ KB haven't sold any yet, we are just getting 4 or 5 barrels built with different configurations so customers can see what options are available. Going to look at another raw barrel tonight and 4 more on the weekend

DrNomis_44
28-04-2016, 03:12 PM
hey Doc sorry about the thread jack, me and KB are shockers hahah

@ KB haven't sold any yet, we are just getting 4 or 5 barrels built with different configurations so customers can see what options are available. Going to look at another raw barrel tonight and 4 more on the weekend

Wokka, it's all good mate, I'd rather have the thread-jacking any day as it adds a bit of fun to the threads, I'm sure you know what I mean.

wokkaboy
28-04-2016, 03:13 PM
no worries Doc, cheers mate, you know you are streaking toward being Overlord of Music status - 331 posts to go mate

DrNomis_44
28-04-2016, 03:16 PM
no worries Doc, cheers mate, you know you are streaking toward being Overlord of Music status - 331 posts to go mate

I'd better get serious, pull my finger out, and get those remaining posts done then...lol.

keloooe
28-04-2016, 03:19 PM
Doc, if the DVD specifically says OEM and is only a 32 or 64 bit disc then it will not work. If it was part of a retail set with both 32 and 64 bit DVDs then it can be used as many times as you want.

KB, the recordings are still unfinished, I'll see if i can snag a few raws for you to take a peek at!

DrNomis_44
28-04-2016, 03:38 PM
Doc, if the DVD specifically says OEM and is only a 32 or 64 bit disc then it will not work. If it was part of a retail set with both 32 and 64 bit DVDs then it can be used as many times as you want.

KB, the recordings are still unfinished, I'll see if i can snag a few raws for you to take a peek at!

Both of my Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 DVDs are not OEMs, I bought them back in about 2009 I believe, if my memory serves me right.

kimball492
28-04-2016, 03:45 PM
Hey Doc tried again you have to highlight messages select delete. Then click proceed. If you don't click proceed it doesn't complete
The delete process.

kimball492
28-04-2016, 03:46 PM
Great stuff Kels look forward to hearing your handy work. Doc you'll need 8gb to 10gb of space for just the El Capitan install so should be ok with small drive. But be aware you'll then have large installs for your musc and Daw software plus whatever other software you need. When you can get yourself A Western Digital 1tb Black Caviar 7200 rpm drive for the operating system. Then a separate drive to write your audio to. It just makes life easier. Plus you can split the operating system drive as Kel suggests and load El Capitan and Win 10 on a dual boot. Which you can then select on boot up. Which Is what I sometimes use for Microsoft office etc when needed.

wokkaboy
28-04-2016, 03:56 PM
haha bummer KB, Doc had a delete fail

maybe Doc's next blues track on the strat can be called "I got the delete message fail blues DO DOOO DOO DOOHHH" hahha

Doc you can start with the original blues line "I woke up this morning" haha

kimball492
28-04-2016, 03:57 PM
It's a hit Woks record it Doc lol

Dedman
28-04-2016, 04:16 PM
"I woke up dis moanin
Blue screen of death in ma face
yea I woke dis moanin
5 DLL's gone without a trace
I dunno who's messin with ma drivers
but ma gun gonna put em in their place"

kimball492
28-04-2016, 04:19 PM
Lol is that a song coming on Dedman. Or you having a problem with your computer what Win version is it?

Dedman
28-04-2016, 04:20 PM
that's a song. Best sung in a John Lee Hooker kinda style LOL

Thank god I don't get blue screens on 7 pro

kimball492
28-04-2016, 04:29 PM
Good news Dedman. Youve cracked the John Lee Hooker style of writing. Watch out you don't want copyright issues lol. I have to say Win 10 I'll whisper it under my breath and say, no blue screen of deaths do far.

Dedman
28-04-2016, 04:36 PM
a how how how
All I deeeiid was foal asleep down at the crossroads
Devil said Ron dis how it done
Don't need no witches and toads
Jus gimme yer soul and I'll be gone
a how how how

:P

kimball492
28-04-2016, 04:42 PM
Now you've blown it you've mentioned John Lee Hooker, The Crossroads, Brian Setzer phrasing, The cure style of lyrics, your a copyright nightmare Dedman lol. Apologies Doc.

Dedman
28-04-2016, 04:43 PM
LOL
Sorry about your thread Doc
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/1433421668586622865_zpsccmpghz2.jpg

dingobass
28-04-2016, 05:41 PM
Wow... just wow....
Having just read through this thread I have an urge to go and have a nanna nap...
You computer geeks are hard work to follow 😶😶

I look forward to the Luddite version of whats going on here 😊

andrewdosborne
28-04-2016, 05:50 PM
"I woke up dis moanin
yea I woke dis moanin

Good stuff Dedman too funny! You need to get yourself a blues name.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/24/whats-your-blues-name-pciture_n_1229406.html

Sorry about the thread jacking Doc!

andrewdosborne
28-04-2016, 05:53 PM
Wow... just wow....
Having just read through this thread I have an urge to go and have a nanna nap...
You computer geeks are hard work to follow 

I look forward to the Luddite version of whats going on here 

And we haven't even got onto the subject of Kexts yet (OSX drivers for hackingtosh) - Doc, this will be heading your way soon!

DrNomis_44
28-04-2016, 06:02 PM
Hey Doc tried again you have to highlight messages select delete. Then click proceed. If you don't click proceed it doesn't complete
The delete process.

That is very odd, I don't have any messages in my PM inbox now, all the messages I had in it have been moved to a folder I labelled "Old Private Messages", so I should be able to receive more private messages, not sure what's going on.....hmmmmmmm....

DrNomis_44
28-04-2016, 06:08 PM
haha bummer KB, Doc had a delete fail

maybe Doc's next blues track on the strat can be called "I got the delete message fail blues DO DOOO DOO DOOHHH" hahha

Doc you can start with the original blues line "I woke up this morning" haha

Haaahahahaha.....too funny Wokka, and the next line could be..."fell down on my head".....lol.

DrNomis_44
28-04-2016, 06:09 PM
"I woke up dis moanin
yea I woke dis moanin

Hahahahahaaa....that is classic Dedman, good one mate.

DrNomis_44
28-04-2016, 06:11 PM
Now you've blown it you've mentioned John Lee Hooker, The Crossroads, Brian Setzer phrasing, The cure style of lyrics, your a copyright nightmare Dedman lol. Apologies Doc.

Apologies?....what for,mate?

DrNomis_44
28-04-2016, 06:12 PM
LOL
Sorry about your thread Doc
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/1433421668586622865_zpsccmpghz2.jpg

It's all good mate, you're forgiven.

DrNomis_44
28-04-2016, 06:17 PM
Good stuff Dedman too funny! You need to get yourself a blues name.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/24/whats-your-blues-name-pciture_n_1229406.html

Sorry about the thread jacking Doc!

That's okay mate, you're forgiven so it's all good.

DrNomis_44
28-04-2016, 06:19 PM
And we haven't even got onto the subject of Kexts yet (OSX drivers for hackingtosh) - Doc, this will be heading your way soon!

I wondered what that was, so Kexts is basically the Mac equivalent of Windows Driver files then?

DrNomis_44
28-04-2016, 06:20 PM
Wow... just wow....
You computer geeks are hard work to follow 😶😶

I look forward to the Luddite version of whats going on here 😊

Don't worry, you're not alone mate.

andrewdosborne
28-04-2016, 06:23 PM
Almost. They are technically kernel extensions but work same as drivers. The closer to the native Mac hardware you can get the easier it is to get all the drivers up and running without any extra coding required. Saying that the hackingtosh community has made great progress over past few years in the compatability realm

I've lost track of this over the past few years as moved to Linux and my wife ended up buying a MacBook pro after using the hackingtosh

kimball492
28-04-2016, 06:29 PM
Apology was for derailing your thread Doc

kimball492
28-04-2016, 06:31 PM
DB, it's no good hiding pretending you don't know what we are talking about. After all you have enough technology in LEDs to light up your whole area at night lol. Captain Luthier Pic-guard Of the starship bassman

Dedman
28-04-2016, 06:38 PM
Captain Luthier Pic-guard Of the starship bassman

I think another mod needs to change DB's user name

dingobass
28-04-2016, 06:39 PM
Kimball, I have a nervous breakdown just trying to start a pc, let alone actually doing anything beyond googling stuff and getting on the forum 😜

wokkaboy
28-04-2016, 06:40 PM
haha agreed KB, DB is helping Western Digital build a 100 terabyte external hard drive so he can put his 'Hate Product' document in one place bwhahah

dingobass
28-04-2016, 06:41 PM
My spidie senses tell me that a mass avatar hack is looming......

DrNomis_44
28-04-2016, 06:48 PM
Apology was for derailing your thread Doc

Oh, that's alright mate, I forgive you.

DrNomis_44
28-04-2016, 08:31 PM
Great stuff Kels look forward to hearing your handy work. Doc you'll need 8gb to 10gb of space for just the El Capitan install so should be ok with small drive. But be aware you'll then have large installs for your musc and Daw software plus whatever other software you need. When you can get yourself A Western Digital 1tb Black Caviar 7200 rpm drive for the operating system. Then a separate drive to write your audio to. It just makes life easier. Plus you can split the operating system drive as Kel suggests and load El Capitan and Win 10 on a dual boot. Which you can then select on boot up. Which Is what I sometimes use for Microsoft office etc when needed.

I might see if I can buy a couple of 1Tb Sata drives soon, they should be coming down in price as SSDs become more commonplace, or maybe a couple of 500Gb Sata drives.

DrNomis_44
28-04-2016, 08:45 PM
So, I had a yarn with my mate, who I have been helping with his guitar rig, and I asked him if he had any spare computer cases he didn't want any more, and he said he did have some and that he'd bring them round to my place, I might use one to re-house all the hardware in my Windows 10 64Bit Desktop DAW PC, and use any remaining ones for the Hackintosh, might do some work on it tomorrow just mainly testing the motherboard out to see if it truly is good, might install Windows XP Pro on it using the two spare 80Gb HDDs, cause I have a disk image of Windows XP Pro SP3 that I can use to burn a disk from, I may even be able to hook it up to my Wireless NBN Router via a LAN cable to get it online, or, I may have another way to get it online, anyway, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, I could even try installing Ubuntu Linux on it, just for some fun.

If it turns out I can't get OS X Snow Leopard to run on my Hackintosh, perhaps I could use it to build a home server.

Dedman
28-04-2016, 09:10 PM
I use my older computers as a render farm. If I'm doing a really big image with lots of CPU intensive effects I boot up a couple of computers and let them share the load (network rendering, the software shares out sections of an image to work on depending on the machines specs, pretty clever). I haven't needed to do since building this rig, but it sure helped out in the bad old days when I was messing with animation . Not sure if you can do that with sound apps. Check newegg.com for parts prices, might still be cheaper to buy from the US.

DrNomis_44
28-04-2016, 09:27 PM
I use my older computers as a render farm. If I'm doing a really big image with lots of CPU intensive effects I boot up a couple of computers and let them share the load (network rendering, the software shares out sections of an image to work on depending on the machines specs, pretty clever). I haven't needed to do since building this rig, but it sure helped out in the bad old days when I was messing with animation . Not sure if you can do that with sound apps. Check newegg.com for parts prices, might still be cheaper to buy from the US.

Cheers mate, I seem to remember reading an article in one of my magazines about using two computers together, I think the article was in a magazine called Computer Music, the idea was to use one computer to run the DAW and the other to do all the DSP for the plugins, something along the lines of what you're talking about in your post, yeah I reckon that is pretty clever, you get more processing power that way.

DrNomis_44
29-04-2016, 12:41 PM
Okay so I've decided to download and burn a DVD of the latest version of Ubuntu Linux, I'm going to use it to test out the ASRock motherboard to make sure it is all working properly, I don't have a spare Sata DVD drive I can put in the case that has the motherboard installed in it so I'll have to use one of the DVD drives in my DAW PC, I'll be buying some new DVD drives for my DAW PC soon, I may be able to hook the computer I'm working on up to my Wireless NBN Router by a LAN cable so I can get it online to download any necessary drivers.

Update:

Well, downloading and burning the Ubuntu disk image to a DVD didn't work, my Laptop decided to crash right in the middle of burning the disk, I suspect that the DVD I was using was no good, as Murphy's Law would have it, I have no good spare blank DVDs, so I tried using my Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 64Bit installer DVD, had much better luck but I got a message saying that the DVD wasn't a genuine one when I could see it as clear as day that it was Genuine, anyway, just in the process of getting all the Windows 7 Updates downloaded and installed...Computers, what a headache they are, so much for the so-called Digital revolution, eh?

Update 2:

Just finished installing all the Windows 7 64Bit drivers on the Hackintosh PC, looks like everything is working like it's supposed to so far, all usb ports, including the 3.0 ports seem to be working.

DrNomis_44
02-05-2016, 06:17 AM
Update:

Okay, so I've tried installing Ubuntu 16 on my Hackintosh PC for testing purposes, and it's looking a bit grim, the computer seems to be spontaneously shutting itself down for no apparent reason, the cause could be one, or all, of the following:

1, Flaky Motherboard.

2, Flaky Power Supply.

3, Flaky Ram.

4, Flaky Graphics Card.

5, Flaky HDD.

I'm going to try installing Windows 10 Threshold 2 on the Hackintosh PC and see if it runs better.

kimball492
02-05-2016, 01:31 PM
Doc I would say ram is ok as it came out your other PC. Try upgrading the bios for the motherboard, see how that goes. Check your graphics card is seated properly recheck your cables to see if there all nice and tight.

Bios download
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Pro4-M/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

Drivers
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Pro4-M/?cat=Download&os=Win1064

DrNomis_44
02-05-2016, 02:03 PM
Doc I would say ram is ok as it came out your other PC. Try upgrading the bios for the motherboard, see how that goes. Check your graphics card is seated properly recheck your cables to see if there all nice and tight.

Bios download
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Pro4-M/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

Drivers
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Pro4-M/?cat=Download&os=Win1064

Cheers kimball492, I'll give that a go tonight, I have tried swapping out the graphics card for the one that was in my DAW PC (it says Sapphire on the Graphics Card's heatsink and apparently it's an AMD Radeon R7 200 series card), and so far the Hackintosh PC hasn't fallen over, I'm thinking that the other Graphics Card ( an ATI Radeon HD 4870 512Mb) I had in it was probably drawing too much power from the Power Supply and it was shutting down due to overloading, best theory I can come up with so far, but I guess it won't hurt to do a Motherboard Bios update, although that can be risky, if the Bios update fails, that could render the motherboard unbootable unless I was lucky enough to find a replacement Bios Chip.

I'm going to give updating the Motherboard Bios a go shortly.

kimball492
02-05-2016, 02:22 PM
Hey Doc, I update my motherboard bios all the time . But you have to feel confident doing it. If the new graphics card seems to be working ok I'd leave it. All the bios updates do is remove bugs from previous versions and sometimes make PC run cooler faster and no crashes. Bit like upgrading your operating system. Let's hope graphics card has solved the problem.

DrNomis_44
02-05-2016, 02:46 PM
Hey Doc, I update my motherboard bios all the time . But you have to feel confident doing it. If the new graphics card seems to be working ok I'd leave it. All the bios updates do is remove bugs from previous versions and sometimes make PC run cooler faster and no crashes. Bit like upgrading your operating system. Let's hope graphics card has solved the problem.

I've just gotten back online after updating the ASRock Z77Pro4-M Motherboard Bios, it seems to have been successfully updated, the previous Bios version was P1.60, and the updated version is P2.00, you could think of a Motherboard's Bios as being like a mini operating-system, the Hackintosh PC seems to be liking the new Graphics Card so far, I'm going to try leaving the Hackintosh PC running for an extended period of time as a way to "Soak-Test" it, if the Hackintosh PC keeps running without spontaneously shutting-down, then I'll assume that everything's okay, I've been thinking of upgrading the Power Supply in my DAW PC from a 600 Watter to something like a 750 Watter, or maybe an 800 Watter if I can get one for a good price, if so, then I'll put the 600 Watter PSU in my Hackintosh PC, I also need to buy a couple of new Sata DVD Burner Drives, two new Optical Mice, and two new Keyboards at some stage.

I checked in Windows 10 Device Manager, and everything seems to be working good, so far there's no "Unknown Devices" issues.

kimball492
02-05-2016, 03:00 PM
The 600 watt power supply would be fine with the build Doc.

DrNomis_44
02-05-2016, 03:09 PM
So, I'm guessing that my next move is to find a copy of the Mac OS X version that I want to install on my Hackintosh PC, time to do some serious Internet searching then.

Emily
02-05-2016, 04:28 PM
Find a friend with a mac and use the app store

kimball492
02-05-2016, 04:50 PM
Hi Emily how do you get on using a Daw with your hackintosh. It seems even people using genuine macs are having problems with graphics as Apple changed some code and it's affecting some plugins. I've been using El Capitan for a while and it's only the odd plugin and crash that misbehaves.http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/is-apple-making-life-hard-for-pro-tools-users

DrNomis_44
02-05-2016, 04:50 PM
The 600 watt power supply would be fine with the build Doc.

Just sent a reply back to your pm.

I'm just in the process of working out what I'll need to be able to do the install on my Hackintosh PC, some of the instructions on the tonymacX86.com website are a bit confusing, so I guess I have lots of reading to do.

I downloaded a utility called Multibeast from the tonymacx86.com website, I have read through the instructions but it doesn't make it very clear whether the utility needs to be run on a mac or PC, I'm thinking that I need access to a Mac capable of running the utility, probably an iMac, trouble is, the only Mac I have is an old G4 running OS X Panther, or am I over thinking this?

Emily
02-05-2016, 05:10 PM
I don't really. I only recently installed it on my computer when I was procrastinating in the school holidays from doing lesson prep. I use my MacBook way more than I use my desktop for everything.

Dedman
02-05-2016, 06:04 PM
Hey Doc, I have a huge arse power supply I rescued from my nephews game server he was dumping. I'll check its output tomorrow, if you can use it it's yours for the cost of postage.

DrNomis_44
02-05-2016, 08:09 PM
Hey Doc, I have a huge arse power supply I rescued from my nephews game server he was dumping. I'll check its output tomorrow, if you can use it it's yours for the cost of postage.

Cheers mate, if it does work pm me and we'll organize the postage and payment.

DrNomis_44
02-05-2016, 08:17 PM
At the moment I'm having a really hard time trying to find a Windows 10 64Bit Driver for my ATI Radeon HD4870 512Mb Graphics Card, you wouldn't believe the headache it is causing me, one of these days the designers of computers are going to have to come up with a better way to get things like Graphics Cards to work in computers, this whole idea of using driver software needs to be completely re-thought.

Update:

Apparently the ATI Radeon HD4870 is incompatible with windows 10, or, there is no compatible Windows 10 64Bit Driver that AMD, or ATI have released, so I gave up on getting the Radeon HD 4870 to work and just uninstalled it, my DAW PC is now hooked up to the monitor via Integrated HDMI.....headache or what?

kimball492
03-05-2016, 12:54 AM
You tried here Doc http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

DrNomis_44
03-05-2016, 01:21 AM
You tried here Doc http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Yep, I tried that website, it literally gave me the runaround before telling me that there hasn't been any Windows 10 drivers released for the ATI Radeon HD4870, not by ATI anyway.

And how's this?, the Edimax EW-7811UTC USB WiFi adaptor I was using with my DAW PC is now refusing to connect to my Wireless Router, only way for me to get online now is for me to connect my laptop directly to my NBN Co Box via a Cat.5 LAN cable, or my Nintendo WiiU, or 3DS, if I plug the LAN cable back into my Router.

Fun and games now, I think I may have to give Aussie Broadband a call in the morning, although I think the Edimax Adapter may be dying.

kimball492
03-05-2016, 10:11 AM
Ati where bought out by Amd so if you can find AMD drivers that work. Might be a good move

DrNomis_44
03-05-2016, 03:26 PM
Ati where bought out by Amd so if you can find AMD drivers that work. Might be a good move

I guess that's worth a try, I'll give it another go later on, I might need to do a clean install of Windows 10 Threshold 2 on my DAW PC soon cause it's starting to run a bit sluggish, been using Ashampoo Winoptimizer to try and boost the performance a bit, I tried flashing the motherboard Bios in my DAW PC too, since there was a Bios update on the Gigabyte website that fixes the USB 3.0 ports backwards compatibility, might boot up my DAW PC and see if it can connect via the Edimax adapter a bit later on.

Emily
03-05-2016, 04:50 PM
In terms of graphics drivers for OSX that should all be included if you use the multibeast post-install tool. That should have it covered I am pretty sure The only exception is the NVIDIA 9xx drivers but that isn't an issue for you.

keloooe
03-05-2016, 07:31 PM
Oh god Nomis don't go for the 9xx cards, they will be such a pain to get the drivers working hahaha

Emily
04-05-2016, 03:15 PM
Oh god Nomis don't go for the 9xx cards, they will be such a pain to get the drivers working hahaha

I have one in mine. It is fine you just use nvidia web drivers

DrNomis_44
06-05-2016, 07:16 PM
I had a bit of a yarn with my mate and he reckons he has a couple of old computer cases he can give me, so, hopefully my DAW PC will be transplanted in a new case soon.

DrNomis_44
07-05-2016, 05:14 PM
Just so you guys know, my builds have been a bit quiet because I've been having some back pain from a bad back lately so I haven't been able to do much, also, I need to buy a couple of new optical mice, a couple of new DVD burner drives for my DAW PC, and some other stuff which I'll be buying soon when my finances permit, but rest assured, I'm still interested in doing this Hackintosh PC build cause I like a challenge, stay tuned for more updates.

DrNomis_44
13-05-2016, 10:47 PM
Update:

I just recently acquired some more bits of computer hardware, including a Sata DVD burner drive which I'll use in my Hackintosh build, so i won't need to buy one, I just need to buy a Mac keyboard since the one I was using with my G4 no longer works, it's usb lead got chewed by one of my cats, I do, however, have a working Mac mouse which I'll use, everything seems to be coming together now.

kimball492
13-05-2016, 10:50 PM
Sounds great Doc look forward to seeing you boot it up

DrNomis_44
14-05-2016, 02:23 AM
Sounds great Doc look forward to seeing you boot it up

I'm looking foprward to seeing it boot up too mate, I just got a notification saying that you sent me a pm but I didn't get it because my inbox was full, I've deleted an old pm so try sending it again.

Dedman
14-05-2016, 08:00 AM
And you should check your letter box or local Post Office, there should be a small heavy box there for you

DrNomis_44
14-05-2016, 11:55 AM
And you should check your letter box or local Post Office, there should be a small heavy box there for you

I checked it not long ago today but haven't received anything yet mate.

Dedman
14-05-2016, 12:24 PM
*%^# Aussie post

DrNomis_44
14-05-2016, 12:46 PM
*%^# Aussie post

Totally, Aussie Post are such slowcoaches when it comes to deliveries, I'll let you know when I get something in the post, I'm waiting on a package containing 50 BC108C transistors to arrive in the post, I bought them on eBay.

kimball492
15-05-2016, 01:29 PM
Doc I think you you need to empty your inbox again. Give this a go if you highlight all the messages you want to save,then click selected you can save as text messages.

DrNomis_44
16-05-2016, 01:43 AM
Doc I think you you need to empty your inbox again. Give this a go if you highlight all the messages you want to save,then click selected you can save as text messages.

I just tried doing that and it seems to have worked, try sending me the last pm you sent again mate.

DrNomis_44
23-05-2016, 06:34 PM
Update:

I received the 850 Watt Power Supply in the post this morning and I have just finished installing it in my DAW PC, my DAW PC seems to be working fine with the bigger power supply...touchwood, so, what I'm going to do next is install the 600 Watt power Supply in my Hackintosh PC and then go ahead with the El Capitain install tonight, hopefully everything should go smoothly....exciting, and fun times ahead.

DrNomis_44
25-05-2016, 09:19 AM
Update:

Okay, so I've just started the El Capitain install on my Hackintosh PC, managed to get it to boot from the USB thumb drive and it looked like everything was going fine, or so I thought, I have just encountered my first problem, during the El Capitain installation I get an error message saying this:

An error occurred while extracting files from the package "Essentials.pkg".

It then says to quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.

I have already tried the installation twice and have gotten the same error message each time I tried, just wondering if there's a fix for it?

wokkaboy
25-05-2016, 09:44 AM
Hey Doc, bummer mate, better wait for Kimball to read your question I'm not sure what to suggest.

I would think the package file is maybe corrupt, can you download it again maybe or ask where it come from if anyone has had the same issue?

You are only 233 posts off Overlord mate so keep boxing on.

Maybe leave the Hackintosh and start the big muff pedal mate !

DrNomis_44
25-05-2016, 09:51 AM
Hey Doc, bummer mate, better wait for Kimball to read your question I got no idea what to suggest.

I would think the package file is maybe corrupt, can you download it again maybe or ask where it come from if anyone has had the same issue

You are only 233 posts off Overlord mate so keep boxing on.
Maybe leave the Hackintosh and start the big muff pedal mate !

Yeah I guess you're right mate, I do need to go for a shopping trip into Casuarina today anyway, I need to buy some stuff, called Spot On, for my two cats so I can treat them for fleas, Gengle seems to have picked up a few of them, might do me some good to have a break from working with Technology for a while, might even get stuck into the Big Muff build when I get back.

wokkaboy
25-05-2016, 09:56 AM
sounds like a plan Doc, get rid of Gengle's fleas and a break from the Hackintosh.

what did the parts for the Big Muff pedal roughly cost ?

DrNomis_44
25-05-2016, 10:24 AM
sounds like a plan Doc, get rid of Gengle's fleas and a break from the Hackintosh.

what did the parts for the Big Muff pedal roughly cost ?

Not sure, I'll have to have a look at the invoice I got from Jaycar Electronics, I had to double-up on some of the parts I bought because I am going to be building two Big Muff circuit boards, I'll need to work out how much the parts for one will cost, I'll post the details of that in the DIY Pedals thread later on today, together with the Jaycar Cat. Numbers so that those who want to build one can find the parts easily.

wokkaboy
25-05-2016, 10:46 AM
sounds good Doc cheers mate, I would love to build my own big muff pedal so that would be great

DrNomis_44
25-05-2016, 10:53 AM
sounds good Doc cheers mate, I would love to build my own big muff pedal so that would be great

No worries mate, I'll be only too happy to show you how to build one, I've built one a few times in the past so I know that the circuit works like it's supposed to, anyway, I'm going to go do my shopping in Casuarina, seeya when I get back.

wokkaboy
25-05-2016, 10:56 AM
no worries Doc, enjoy your shopping trip !

DrNomis_44
25-05-2016, 01:13 PM
no worries Doc, enjoy your shopping trip !

Just got back from doing my shopping Wokka, unfortunately I didn't have enough money to buy two packets of Spot On (one for each of my cats) since they're about $23.00 each and I only had about $50.00 in my bank account, so I ended up buying a couple of flea collars instead, will put them on the cats later on.

wokkaboy
25-05-2016, 01:23 PM
good stuff Doc, hope the flea collars work, the Spot on isn't cheap!

DrNomis_44
25-05-2016, 01:32 PM
good stuff Doc, hope the flea collars work, the Spot on isn't cheap!

That's for sure, I tried some Spot On on my cats about a month ago and didn't really notice much of a difference, the funny thing is, it was recommended to me by some Vets at the Veterinary Clinic in Parap, oh well, I guess the collars should be good till next fortnight and I'll buy some Spot On then.

wokkaboy
25-05-2016, 01:44 PM
sounds good Doc, if that doesn't work maybe a flea bomb in the unit, excuse to go jam with your buddy haha

kimball492
25-05-2016, 01:47 PM
It says on Tonymacs site to do this Doc Try booting the installer with -x -no-zp GraphicsEnabler=Yes
You only need GraphicsEnabler if you have an older graphics card. The newer cards and intel graphics work fine without it.

wokkaboy
25-05-2016, 01:51 PM
good one KB to the rescue !

good to hear from you KB, was about to send out the rescue team haha

back on track on the thread topic rather than cat fleas haha

DrNomis_44
25-05-2016, 01:56 PM
It says on Tonymacs site to do this Doc Try booting the installer with -x -no-zp GraphicsEnabler=Yes
You only need GraphicsEnabler if you have an older graphics card. The newer cards and intel graphics work fine without it.

Cheers Kimball, I'll give that a go, when it boots up into Clover, which menu do I need to select to be able to enter in that text?

dingobass
25-05-2016, 02:07 PM
Dont bother with Spot On l, much cheaper to buy Ivemectin and simply apply a few drops on the back of the cats neck. It will also deal with most intestinal worms as well (except tapeworm)
I got a farmers pack, brand name Ivomec, 200ml about three years ago.
Have only used half on my menagerie of dogs, cat and bird. For the $140 it works out to be ridiculously cost effective.
I reckon if you talk nicely to your local Bovine vet, they may sell you $50 bucks worth and that should do your two for the next ten years or so..

As for the computer, hit the friggin thing with a hammer already! :D

wokkaboy
25-05-2016, 02:13 PM
wow this is a varied thread, advice from DB how to get rid of cat fleas and DB's IT tech support advice all in one post !

DrNomis_44
25-05-2016, 02:15 PM
Dont bother with Spot On l, much cheaper to buy Ivemectin and simply apply a few drops on the back of the cats neck. It will also deal with most intestinal worms as well (except tapeworm)
I got a farmers pack, brand name Ivomec, 200ml about three years ago.
Have only used half on my menagerie of dogs, cat and bird. For the $140 it works out to be ridiculously cost effective.
I reckon if you talk nicely to your local Bovine vet, they may sell you $50 bucks worth and that should do your two for the next ten years or so..

As for the computer, hit the friggin thing with a hammer already! :D

Hahahahaha.....I think I'm past the point where I want to hit it with a hammer DB...lol.

I might give that Ivermectin a go one day, at the moment my budget won't allow it so I'm going to have to make do with the flea collars, it'll be better than nothing at all.

DrNomis_44
25-05-2016, 02:16 PM
wow this is a varied thread, advice from DB how to get rid of cat fleas and DB's IT tech support advice all in one post !

Yeah, for some strange unfathomable reason my threads end up being multi-subjected...if there is such a word as that, Wokka.

kimball492
25-05-2016, 02:26 PM
DB did the hammer r us store open yet lol. Man of many talents DB loves computers.
Start here Doc http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/im-new-to-everything-where-do-i-start.104542/
Doc it's hard for me to give you much more info as I've never built a hackintosh. As I have Macs already at home.
But hope the below works. There's a lot of info here.http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/unibeast-install-os-x-el-capitan-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.172672/

How to Enter/Edit Boot Flags in Clover
To boot OS X with common alternative boot options such as Verbose Mode, Safe Mode, Single User Mode, and Without Caches, simply hit spacebar on the Clover Boot Screen.

For testing, you can enter alternate flags at boot time as follows:

1. At Clover Boot Screen click/highlight Options and hit Enter
2. Highlight Boot Args: and hit Enter
3. Move arrow keys to end of line, type desired flag, and hit Enter
4. Press Escape to return to the initial Clover Boot Screen

Note, this will not permanently edit /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist. If desired, edit the config.plist by permanently adding to the Boot/arguments section.

DrNomis_44
25-05-2016, 02:34 PM
DB did the hammer r us store open yet lol.
Start here Doc http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/im-new-to-everything-where-do-i-start.104542/
Doc it's hard for me to give you much more info as I've never built a hackintosh. As I have Macs already at home.
But hope the below works. There's a lot of info here.http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/unibeast-install-os-x-el-capitan-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.172672/

How to Enter/Edit Boot Flags in Clover
To boot OS X with common alternative boot options such as Verbose Mode, Safe Mode, Single User Mode, and Without Caches, simply hit spacebar on the Clover Boot Screen.

For testing, you can enter alternate flags at boot time as follows:

1. At Clover Boot Screen click/highlight Options and hit Enter
2. Highlight Boot Args: and hit Enter
3. Move arrow keys to end of line, type desired flag, and hit Enter
4. Press Escape to return to the initial Clover Boot Screen

Note, this will not permanently edit /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist. If desired, edit the config.plist by permanently adding to the Boot/arguments section.

Ah rightio, I'll give that a go and see if that sorts things out, cheers mate.

Update:

Okay, I tried entering that text you suggested trying, but I'm still getting that error message when trying to install El Capitain on my Hackintosh PC, perhaps the hardware I'm using is incompatible, or there are some compatibility issues....hmmmmmm.

I'm wondering if one of the files on the thumbdrive is corrupted or something?

Before I get the error message I noticed it gets to the point where it says that there's approximately 16 minutes to go during the installation, and then it seems to hang a bit.

kimball492
25-05-2016, 03:03 PM
Check your email Doc

DrNomis_44
25-05-2016, 03:11 PM
Check your email Doc

I just checked it, cheers mate.

kimball492
25-05-2016, 03:54 PM
How long have you left it at the 16 min point cause Apple mins to go is fictional at best 16 mins could mean 45 it depends on processor speed don't forget it's USB 2 which isn't the fastest.

DrNomis_44
25-05-2016, 04:03 PM
How long have you left it at the 16 min point cause Apple mins to go is fictional at best 16 mins could mean 45 it depends on processor speed don't forget it's USB 2 which isn't the fastest.

I'd say it was a good 20 minutes at least when it stayed at the 16 minute mark, the CPU I'm using is an Intel i5 3.0GHz Quad Core, I tried installing two 4Gb memory sticks on the motherboard prior to doing the installation, after I got the error message I tried again with only one 4Gb stick installed after reading the troubleshooting section in the Tonymacx86 forum.

I've just tried doing the installation and have gotten the same error message as before, I had a look through the troubleshooting section of the tonymacx86 forum and it wasn't much help, I've pretty much tried all the suggested fixes short of trying a different thumbdrive, nothing has worked so far.

It seems like there's something wrong with the file "Essentials.pkg", or it can't be found or something like that.

kimball492
25-05-2016, 04:20 PM
Doc I'd start here check that absolutely every component you have in your build is 100% compatible as per this page here if it's not 9 times out of 10 it won't work. That includes motherboards graphics cards hdd and sometimes even memory.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/may/2016

There are a variety of booting errors that can come up too Doc.

DrNomis_44
25-05-2016, 04:28 PM
Doc I'd start here check that absolutely every component you have in your build is 100% compatible as per this page here if it's not 9 times out of 10 it won't work. That includes motherboards graphics cards hdd and sometimes even memory.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/may/2016

There are a variety of booting errors that can come up too Doc.

Had a look through their list of motherboards and the one I'm using wasn't listed, neither was the CPU.

WeirdBits
25-05-2016, 04:30 PM
Doc, what is your sytem date/time set to in BIOS?

DrNomis_44
25-05-2016, 04:36 PM
Doc, what is your sytem date/time set to in BIOS?

It's set to the current date and time (25/05/2016 and 6:06pm).

wokkaboy
25-05-2016, 04:41 PM
Doc you sure you aren't Doc in the Back to the Future series and maybe the BIOS date/time is out of whack as you have been time travelling ? bwhahahah

DrNomis_44
25-05-2016, 04:46 PM
Doc you sure you aren't Doc in the Back to the Future series and maybe the BIOS date/time is out of whack as you have been time travelling ? bwhahahah

Hahahaha....as far as I know I'm not Doc from Back To The Future Wokka, although somedays I wish I was...lol.

WeirdBits
25-05-2016, 04:49 PM
Is the install just stalling or still throwing the .pkg error?

It seems like a lot of the reported issues with that file error have either been solved by swapping the memory or just repeatedly re-trying until it works. If you've reset your BIOS to defaults since installing all the hardware, I'd probably try under-clocking the memory slightly (if possible) for the install and see if that helps. If it is a mem issue, that may coax it through.

wokkaboy
25-05-2016, 04:54 PM
Hahahaha....as far as I know I'm not Doc from Back To The Future Wokka, although somedays I wish I was...lol.

Well Doc if you were Doc from BTTF you would have a dog called Einstein and own the Sporting Almanac which would allow you to put a bet on any sporting event and have 100% chance of winning big money hahah

DrNomis_44
25-05-2016, 04:57 PM
Is the install just stalling or still throwing the .pkg error?

It seems like a lot of the reported issues with that file error have either been solved by swapping the memory or just repeatedly re-trying until it works. If you've reset your BIOS to defaults since installing all the hardware, I'd probably try under-clocking the memory slightly (if possible) for the install and see if that helps. If it is a mem issue, that may coax it through.

Yeah, the install keeps throwing up the error involving the file "Essentials.pkg" everytime I try doing an install, I've tried re-formatting the hard drive, tried having only one 4Gb memory stick installed, tried plugging the usb stick I'm booting from into the usb 2.0 ports and the usb 3.0 ports, tried setting the Bios to defaults, I even tried setting the usb stick as first boot device, so far nothing has worked.

I'll see if I can post a pic of the actual error message I'm getting.

wokkaboy
25-05-2016, 04:59 PM
bloody computers,
Doc remember there is always help at 1800 DB-PC-TECH advice hahah

DrNomis_44
25-05-2016, 05:03 PM
bloody computers,
Doc remember there is always help at 1800 DB-PC-TECH advice hahah

Haaaaahahahahahahah.....good one Wokka, I'm sorely tempted to do so...lol.

kimball492
25-05-2016, 05:12 PM
Take a break doc make some coffee and start your pedal build switch off from it. Start with fresh eye tomorrow.

DrNomis_44
25-05-2016, 05:21 PM
Take a break doc make some coffee and start your pedal build switch off from it. Start with fresh eye tomorrow.

Yep, I reckon you're right mate, I'll have to go to the service station cause I'm out of milk to make coffee with, actually, I forgot that I bought some milk this morning, so I'm good.

I've got a couple of screenshots of the error message I see on the monitor:

Here's what I see on the monitor just prior to getting the error message:

And here's what I see when I get the error message:

kimball492
25-05-2016, 05:39 PM
Lot of people on the site with this issue Doc had success with this maxmem=4096 boot flag. Hope this helps!

DrNomis_44
25-05-2016, 05:40 PM
Lot of people on the site with this issue Doc had success with this maxmem=4096 boot flag. Hope this helps!

Cheers, I'll give that a go now mate.

Update:

Tried it, and I'm still getting that same error message.

kimball492
25-05-2016, 05:58 PM
http://www.tonymacx86.com/search/167325/?q=El+Capitan+essentials+pkg+error&o=date&c[node]=180
There approx 10 pages of that error Doc. Continue tomorrow

dingobass
25-05-2016, 06:04 PM
SMACK. IT. WITH. A. HAMMER! :p

kimball492
25-05-2016, 06:10 PM
DB is advocating the use of a Birmingham screwdriver. Tech support strikes again

This may help Doc

https://waypastwarranty.wordpress.com/2012/01/07/so-you-want-to-create-unibeast-drive-for-hackintosh-but-dont-have-a-mac-heres-how-to-do-it-in-windows/

andrewdosborne
25-05-2016, 06:17 PM

The only toolkit you need...

DrNomis_44
25-05-2016, 06:21 PM
Hahahahaha....cheers Ponch.

The only tool I need is a can of VB, no, make that a bottle of Corona Beer, it's the only tool that'll calm my frayed nerves...lol.

dingobass
25-05-2016, 06:53 PM
This is more like what I was thinking of. ..

DrNomis_44
25-05-2016, 07:18 PM
This is more like what I was thinking of. ..

Lol....yep, that'll get it started for sure.....hahahaha..

kimball492
25-05-2016, 07:34 PM
DBs Computer Repair Service

DrNomis_44
25-05-2016, 08:58 PM
Hahahahahahaaaa....too funny Kimball.

dingobass
25-05-2016, 10:01 PM
And if it still wont work....

DrNomis_44
25-05-2016, 10:41 PM
And if it still wont work....

Hahahahahaha....

andrewdosborne
26-05-2016, 05:44 AM
Haha, that should get it to boot!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160525/f9633a7b8b2492129f6c21ff87e92669.jpg

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

DrNomis_44
26-05-2016, 10:04 AM
I was thinking of doing something a bit more radical and try putting my Hackintosh in a giant Super-Hadron Collider, and then use it as a target for shooting heavy sub-atomic particles at it, just for good measure, imagine warping the very fabric that makes up the Hackintosh computer, I could possibly end up with a Quantum computer.

wokkaboy
26-05-2016, 10:19 AM
sounds good Doc, I'd go for it mate if you can't get this package to extract !

DrNomis_44
26-05-2016, 10:35 AM
sounds good Doc, I'd go for it mate if you can't get this package to extract !

Yeah it's just that one package that's causing all the trouble, I might plug the usb stick into my DAW PC and have a good look at the files on it to see if I can spot anything wrong with them.

Now, here's where it gets interesting, the USB Thumbdrive I'm using has a capacity of about 16Gb, yet there's only 11.1Mb of Data stored on it, I'm just wondering why the Thumbdrive has to be a 16Gb type if there's only 11.1Mb Data on it?, that's something I might look into on the Tonymacx86 Forum, I'm wondering if the extra space is for an OS X disk image....hmmmmm, maybe that's why it can't complete the install process.

wokkaboy
26-05-2016, 10:41 AM
Doc surely you can ask where ever the package come from for any advice on issues extracting it or ask if there are any later versions available ?

DrNomis_44
26-05-2016, 10:50 AM
Doc surely you can ask where ever the package come from for any advice on issues extracting it or ask if there are any later versions available ?

That's a very good point Wokka, I might see if I can post that question in the Tonymacx86 forum and see what answer/s I get.

wokkaboy
26-05-2016, 11:09 AM
that's it Doc, that's where all the help is on the forums !

DrNomis_44
26-05-2016, 11:22 AM
that's it Doc, that's where all the help is on the forums !

So what are you up to today mate?, got any interesting builds you're working on?, hope you're having a good day.

I'm going out to my mate's place to help him out with his guitar rig again, might also help him with his PC too.

wokkaboy
26-05-2016, 11:29 AM
haha stuck in an office for 9 hours today Doc, probably won't get in the workshop till the weekend, but now the ICA-7 is pretty well finished I'm concentrating on the baritone tele, got some nice hand wound pups for it yesterday

DrNomis_44
26-05-2016, 11:36 AM
haha stuck in an office for 9 hours today Doc, probably won't get in the workshop till the weekend, but now the ICA-7 is pretty well finished I'm concentrating on the baritone tele, got some nice hand wound pups for it yesterday

Cool, I was doing some rummaging around in amongst my stuff and managed to find all the pickups that were on my Headless guitar, they look a bit like black EMGs but they're passives, there's two single coils and a humbucker, I'm thinking of using them in a custom Hotrod Strat soon, I got an email from Adam saying that the body I ordered for the custom Hotrod Strat had arrived and he said he'd post it off to me, I'm going to finish the body in solid Metallic Blue, and might see if I can source a white pearloid scratchplate for it, should end up being a cool guitar.

wokkaboy
26-05-2016, 11:38 AM
wow Doc love the plans for the Hotrod strat, so what custom specs will the body have over a standard ST kit ?

DrNomis_44
26-05-2016, 11:49 AM
wow Doc love the plans for the Hotrod strat, so what custom specs will the body have over a standard ST kit ?

It's mostly going to be similar to a Standard Strat except it'll be routed to accept a Floyd Rose Trem system, there's a Chrome Original Floyd Rose Trem kit in stock in Sounds Of Music, that I might buy for it, but it's about $400.00, but I reckon I could put it on Lay By and pay it off fortnightly, then I'll see if I can source a 22-Fret Mighty Mite Strat neck routed for a Floyd Rose Locking Nut, might go with one with a Rosewood fingerboard, the scratchplate will have the usual standard Strat controls, but I'll go with the Eric Johnson wiring, and I'll use a set of standard Chrome mini Grover tuners, and finally I'll install a set of Ernie Ball Strap Locks on the guitar.

I found by experiment that those Mighty Mite necks seem to fit the neck pockets on the Pitbull Guitars Strat bodies pretty well.

So, I'm going to be documenting the custom Super Strat build-process in the non-PBG section.

Should be good for doing Iron Maiden covers.

wokkaboy
26-05-2016, 12:08 PM
sounds like an uber cool project Doc, great stuff !

(In a TV deep voiceover)
And Thursday morning has been brought to you by the Doc and Woks show haha

DrNomis_44
26-05-2016, 12:15 PM
sounds like an uber cool project Doc, great stuff !

(In a TV deep voiceover)
And Thursday morning has been brought to you by the Doc and Woks show haha

Haha..yeah, I've been really getting into the Superstrat vibe after getting that white Ibby guitar recently.

kimball492
26-05-2016, 01:11 PM
Hi Doc you can't read Mac OS X disks on a PC it will only show part the files only. You have to load a Mac disc reader on Windows computers. Here's example first pic is OS X disk read with Windows. 2nd pic disk read in OS X. Here's something that might allow you to read Mac disks on PC.
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-read-mac-os-hfs-drives-in-windows-for-free-image-3369574/

DrNomis_44
26-05-2016, 01:15 PM
Hi Doc you can't read Mac OS X disks on a PC it will only show part the files only. You have to load a Mac disc reader on Windows computers. Here's example first pic is OS X disk read with Windows. 2nd pic disk read in OS X. Here's something that might allow you to read Mac disks on PC.
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-read-mac-os-hfs-drives-in-windows-for-free-image-3369574/

Ah okay, I'll download that and get that installed on my DAW PC then, cheers mate.

Okay, I downloaded and installed it but it doesn't want to even look at the Thumbdrive's contents and I'm suspecting that it's because the Thumbdrive is formatted to Fat32.

kimball492
26-05-2016, 01:21 PM
Doc this may help. But you have to realise that if your motherboards not compatible Doc you'll never get it to work. As it doesn't have the components on your motherboard that the drivers are trying to install.https://youtu.be/NjTLYJXM8u4

wokkaboy
26-05-2016, 01:23 PM
KB to the rescue again ! well done KB for the IT support. I reckon there's a much better chance Doc will get it working with your support over DB's IT tech support hahah

Doc if your motherboard isn't compatible then call 1800 DB SMASH IT WITH A BIG HAMMER haha

kimball492
26-05-2016, 01:29 PM
Wokkaaa how are you. What you been up to bro. I dont know sometimes I've found the DB method works great lol. It depends on the computer.

Doc check all your components are on this list.
If there not. Good chance they won't work at all as drivers won't be on the unibeast thumbdrive. Apple block certain components, motherboards because they want you to Buy Apple computers only.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/may/2016#Motherboards

I'd build this into a nice PC later get a Compatible motherboard CPU memory and graphics card and start over. But if you get it working as it is. I think we will all be stoked for you Doc.

wokkaboy
26-05-2016, 01:32 PM
hey KB all good thanks, boxing on through another working week and see a tiny bit of light at the end of the "let's start the weekend tunnel" to do some axe work and lots of beer drinking hahha
How you going buddy ?

Doc seems to attract thread jackers but really we are just trying to make his threads longer hahah

kimball492
26-05-2016, 01:37 PM
Really Good thanks Woks. Been busy doing everything but guitars. Which is a shame it's my relaxation. How'd your barrels go.
What's happening in the woks projects folder. Yeah sorry Doc for the minor hijack. Doc we are trying to extend the threads for you lol.

DrNomis_44
26-05-2016, 01:41 PM
Really Good thanks Woks. Been busy doing everything but guitars. Which is a shame it's my relaxation. How'd your barrels go.
What's happening in the woks projects folder. Yeah sorry Doc for the minor hijack. Doc we are trying to extend the threads for you lol.

Lol, to be honest I really don't mind the thread-jacking at all Kimball, for some funny reason it actually seems to add to the fun, so by all means feel free to thread-jack as much as you like mate, that goes for you too Wokka, oh and DB as well.

wokkaboy
26-05-2016, 01:50 PM
ahha no worries Doc !
haven't had time to work on barrels for couple of weeks KB but will get back into it.
Had DB over Friday night and we had a half 44 gallon drum fire and he didn't throw my Mosrite or Iceman on the fire so I'm pretty stoked hahah

kimball492
26-05-2016, 01:51 PM
How's DBs theme tune go Doc
If I had a hammer,
I'd hammer in the morning,
I'd hammer in the evening,
All over this land,
I'd hammer out computers
I'd hammer out a warning,
I'd hammer out the hate between,
Computers and technology,
All over this land.

wokkaboy
26-05-2016, 01:52 PM
bwhahaha KB sounds like we should write a small tune for DB's IT support, we got the lyrics sorted !

EDIT it has just turned into the KB, Doc and Woks show !

DrNomis_44
26-05-2016, 02:01 PM
Wokkaaa how are you. What you been up to bro. I dont know sometimes I've found the DB method works great lol. It depends on the computer.

Doc check all your components are on this list.
If there not. Good chance they won't work at all as drivers won't be on the unibeast thumbdrive. Apple block certain components, motherboards because they want you to Buy Apple computers only.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/may/2016#Motherboards

I'd build this into a nice PC later get a Compatible motherboard CPU memory and graphics card and start over. But if you get it working as it is. I think we will all be stoked for you Doc.

The motherboard I'm using is an ASRock Z77 Pro 4-M, it doesn't appear to be on the list of motherboards so I'm guessing that's probably why I can't install El Capitain on My Hackintosh PC, my CPU doesn't seem to be on the list either, the Ram stick I'm using is a Corsair 4Gb DDR3 1600, and that's not on the list, the Graphics Card is a Radeon HD 4870 512Mb, and that's not on the list too.

DrNomis_44
26-05-2016, 02:03 PM
How's DBs theme tune go Doc
If I had a hammer,
I'd hammer in the morning,
I'd hammer in the evening,
All over this land,
I'd hammer out computers
I'd hammer out a warning,
I'd hammer out the hate between,
Computers and technology,
All over this land.

Haaaahahahahaha.....I wonder what DB would say to that...lol.

DrNomis_44
26-05-2016, 02:03 PM
bwhahaha KB sounds like we should write a small tune for DB's IT support, we got the lyrics sorted !

EDIT it has just turned into the KB, Doc and Woks show !

Hasn't it ever...lol.

DrNomis_44
26-05-2016, 02:06 PM
Okay, so maybe I should wait till I have the money to buy the hardware I need from the Tonymacx86 website and start over with that, in the meantime, I could use what hardware I have to build a PC running a Linux OS, like Ubuntu.

wokkaboy
26-05-2016, 02:17 PM
thats a bummer Doc about all the hardware not going to work. I'm sure you will find another use for that PC as you say.
At least you now know why it won't extract the file. Good thing you didn't resort to DB's advice hahha

@ KB love the lyrics for the DB hammer song. You got time to write some basic chords ? What is the song the lyrics were originally from ?

DrNomis_44
26-05-2016, 02:33 PM
thats a bummer Doc about all the hardware not going to work. I'm sure you will find another use for that PC as you say.
At least you now know why it won't extract the file. Good thing you didn't resort to DB's advice hahha

@ KB love the lyrics for the DB hammer song. You got time to write some basic chords ? What is the song the lyrics were originally from ?

That's for sure, at the start of this thread I was assuming, wrongly of course, that you could use any bog-standard PC hardware to build a Hackintosh PC, well that's what I was led to believe.

kimball492
26-05-2016, 02:36 PM
Good question about original it's old old song ok found it https://youtu.be/Rl-yszPdRTk I thing DB should sing it with a banjo lol

wokkaboy
26-05-2016, 02:40 PM
bwhahhaha classic find there KB, you barely have to alter the lyrics, just add PC as there were no PCs in 1956 !

maybe if DB can't find a banjo to play it I can loan him my Iceman bwhahahhaha

DrNomis_44
26-05-2016, 02:42 PM
I have another four motherboards which are two Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2L, an MSI G31M3 V2, and an ASUSPBZ6B-V LE, none of which are on the list so I can't use them either, doesn't really matter anyway since I don't know if any of them actually do work.

kimball492
26-05-2016, 03:37 PM
Doc you need to carry list around and find one on that's included on Tony's website lol. Knowing your luck it won't be long before you find one. Did you use you tube link to create a unibeast disk on Windows

DrNomis_44
26-05-2016, 03:45 PM
Doc you need to carry list around and find one on that's included on Tony's website lol. Knowing your luck it won't be long before you find one. Did you use you tube link to create a unibeast disk on Windows

Haven't tried that youtube link yet, I'll have to wait till Friday cause I'm going round to a friend's place this afternoon, he's supposed to be picking me up at 5:00pm and it's already 5:14pm.

dingobass
26-05-2016, 05:02 PM
I think it is possesed.
Burn it with holy oil and spritz the ashes with holy water....

wokkaboy
26-05-2016, 05:04 PM
haha DB IT tech support has spoken Doc, heed his good words mate haha

kimball492
26-05-2016, 05:43 PM
Pastor Phil, has performed the exorcism lol

jbramley
26-05-2016, 06:10 PM
I set up a Hackintosh with my current windows hardware using this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMLCJ0JMK9Q

My motherboard is not one used for booting OS X but I'm running El Capitan using two or three boot flags. I am using Unibeast 6 as it allows for the use of the UEFI Clover boot loader that fixes some issues that occur if you use a legacy boot loader.

One of the most helpful boot flags is "-v" which outputs into a console and you can read the errors (if there are any) and google what to do about them.

wokkaboy
26-05-2016, 06:59 PM
Hi JBramley, welcome to the forum, you wouldn't be Gav's son is it Josh ?

dingobass
26-05-2016, 07:41 PM
Another Bramley..... just what we needed :p
Might need to convene a mod meeting and do us some banning.... oh, wait on... Gavmiester is a mod.....

kimball492
26-05-2016, 07:55 PM
Hi J Bramley I know Doc was using Unibeast 6.2.0 and Multibeast 8.2.2 lets hope it works. Doc I think you need to go to the Tonymac website and study the instructions and procedures. And learn how to use clover inside out. Its 95% reading 5% doing.

Solutions for El Capitan install problems
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/big-list-of-solutions-for-el-capitan-install-problems.173991/

Hope this helps

DrNomis_44
26-05-2016, 11:16 PM
I think it is possesed.
Burn it with holy oil and spritz the ashes with holy water....

Nah, it's actually me that's possessed....hahahaha.....

Gavin1393
26-05-2016, 11:20 PM
Another Bramley..... just what we needed :p
Might need to convene a mod meeting and do us some banning.... oh, wait on... Gavmiester is a mod.....

Glad to see you alive and well DB - had grave fears after hearing some dude from Armadale was stabbed to death by his 26 year old parrot....

DrNomis_44
26-05-2016, 11:20 PM
haha DB IT tech support has spoken Doc, heed his good words mate haha

Indeed I should, but me being my tenacious self, I tend to get obsessed with any challenge I undertake, to my own detriment, I must learn to walk away from something when I'm having difficulties, and come back with a fresh mind.

DrNomis_44
26-05-2016, 11:24 PM
Hi J Bramley I know Doc was using Unibeast 6.2.0 and Multibeast 8.2.2 lets hope it works. Doc I think you need to go to the Tonymac website and study the instructions and procedures. And learn how to use clover inside out. Its 95% reading 5% doing.

Solutions for El Capitan install problems
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/big-list-of-solutions-for-el-capitan-install-problems.173991/

Hope this helps

You're right, I have to be honest I haven't been doing my reading like I should have.

kimball492
26-05-2016, 11:37 PM
Doc we all do it. I'm sure there's not one person on the site that hasn't done exactly that at one time or another. Your in good company lol.

DrNomis_44
27-05-2016, 12:25 AM
Doc we all do it. I'm sure there's not one person on the site that hasn't done exactly that at one time or another. Your in good company lol.

Nice to know that I'm not alone mate, lol, I'm at my mate's place helping him with his guitar rig at the moment, had to make some leads up for him and change the mains plug of a Carl Martin Compressor pedal over to an Australian 3-pin plug for him, the pedal was already rated for our 240 V AC mains supply so there wasn't any issues with changing the mains plug.

Also made up a couple of speaker leads for him too, we've managed to get most of his rig working the way he wants, and all that needs doing is getting the speakers for the delay effects working the way he wants.

DrNomis_44
27-05-2016, 12:18 PM
Update:

So, I've decided to forget about using the ASRock motherboard to build a Hackintosh PC and I'm going to wait till I can afford to buy some more compatible hardware, in the meantime, I'm going to use the current hardware to fix my mate's computer because he was having some performance issues with it.