PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Guitars That You've Had In a Your And Hands And Let Go Of

kimball492
26-04-2016, 02:36 PM
The Guitars that you had a fleeting romance with but for one reason or another let go of sold, lost or had stolen.

wokkaboy
26-04-2016, 02:39 PM
KB is on a roll todaz !

probably a guitar I should have kept was my first guitar, white Yamaha RGX, I have fond memories learning my first chords on that.
Touch wood haven't had a guitar stolen.

wazkelly
26-04-2016, 07:55 PM
Hey Wok's I can also relate to still wanting my first guitar being a highly modified lawsuit era Jap Strat Copy but alas it was left behind at a gig and consequently stolen.

The last axe I sold once married and had kids was my mid 70's Ric 4001 in Azure Blue and still regret selling that the most of all.

Muzza
26-04-2016, 09:00 PM
Well, I've got an amazing guitar right now. It has been described as the world's most versatile guitar - a Maton BB1200 Josh Homme. (The photo isn't of mine - I don't have a photo of it on my iPad, so I nicked one from the 'net)

But I can't justify having such an expensive legend of a guitar, considering my age, ability and level of debt, so it will be going on the market as soon as I've finished one of my builds.

I'm really a bass player anyway, so owning a guitar with a list price of $4k is a bit obscene when my bass cost less than $400 new.

dave.king1
27-04-2016, 07:47 AM
Here are pics of two of mine in action and pics from the web of another two I let go (not pics of my actual instruments)

L Series PBass
S2 Fender VI

59 Tele Custom & 61 SG Les Paul

kimball492
04-05-2016, 02:21 PM
Woks isn't it funny how you get attached to those old guitars that you first played. Wazkelly always wanted a Rickenbacker Bass, Chris Squires and Paul Mcartney both hero's of mine the funny thing is I've never played one. I've had loads of opportunities,but picked up other instruments instead. I must build one. Muzza the Maton looks lovely, hang on to it if you can. Jeez Dave how many times have you cried losing/parting with those ouch. I was in London took my nephew who is a budding guitarist to Hard Rock Cafe. We booked in to the Vault which was over the road its an old Coutts and Co bank with massive safe. On entering it was like Aladdins cave, guitars wall to wall the floor covered with little walk throughs. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I got to play the Isle of Wight Hendrix strat. a Clapton Guitar Strat and Kurt Cobain.Hendrix must of looked down and said how dare you. When I say played I strummed a few chords. Was it enough for me, no I wanted to take them all home. Guitars I have personally let go of that I miss to this Day are an Eko 12 string acoustic amazing sound. When Eko made great instruments.1970's Fender Precision Bass, a 1930s Gibson Mastertone Banjo. I never played banjos not a big fan but loved the beauty of it as an instrument and the mother of pearl inlay was stunning. And believe it or not a Casio MG510 a beautifully made guitar which also had midi electronics that tracked great and the guitar it's self sounded so good. I know what your saying Casio lol. But it was Casio's break into the pro market made by Fudgi Kakki who made the early Japanese Fenders and Ibanez guitars. The guitarist Charlie Burchill from Simple Minds loved them. Well I'm sure someone's enjoying them

dave.king1
04-05-2016, 03:26 PM
Jeez Dave how many times have you cried losing/parting with those ouch.

Apart from the SG which I hated, cried rivers over the rest.

I'd love the VI and the 59 back, but there is around $40K between them and let's face it they are just ( very good ) old guitars

kimball492
04-05-2016, 03:34 PM
But great memories you still,remember fondly Dave. That's the great thing about having those old instruments. Imagine the stories each guitar could tell lol.

dave.king1
04-05-2016, 04:25 PM
But great memories you still,remember fondly Dave. That's the great thing about having those old instruments. Imagine the stories each guitar could tell lol.

I wouldn't want them telling mine, what happens on the road and all that ;)

I paid $180.00 each for the L Series and the VI and and $350 for the 59, gigging 6 nights a week they paid their own big time.

The L, the VI and the 59 all went for around $400 and the SG for $60 ( that is sixty not a typo, Richard Gere got US$23K for his similar SG )

kimball492
04-05-2016, 05:08 PM
What's are the Chances of Fender and Gibson offering those prices again Dave lol. Man they'd sell some instruments

wazkelly
04-05-2016, 05:30 PM
Happy to mention that I have just purchased a 2008 Fireglo Rickenbacker 4003 on Gumtree and expect it to arrive maybe before the weekend. Just missed out a new 2015 one on eBay from the States and in hindsight that was as blessing in disguise as all the importing crap would have done my head in.

Been looking for ages and the bloke who sold me this one imports many vintage guitars from Japan. He is based at Ringwood in Melbourne and also advertises on eBay albeit at a higher price.

Interesting to find out with the Ric 4003 was that earlier versions had a D profile neck and later ones now have a C profile. As he had 2 for sale I chose the thinner D profile after that explanation as it is closest to the 4001 spec therefore easier to play and more comfortable. Not blue like my old one but happy with Fireglo as I don't have any other burst in my current collection plus it's not all about the colour. Mind you the other choice was Jetglo which just happens to be their most popular colour but probably my least preferred as there is too much good maple to hide under a solid colour.

kimball492
04-05-2016, 07:41 PM
What a fabulous find Wazkelly. Look forward to seeing it when you have time. Good choice on the colour always nice to see the wood underneath.

Alm_63
04-05-2016, 07:46 PM
I've tended to hang onto just about everything I've bought over the years,
BUT I sold 72' Tele deluxe for $220 so I could have a drink on my 21st birthday.
I haven't sold anything with an age since.

dave.king1
04-05-2016, 08:04 PM
What's are the Chances of Fender and Gibson offering those prices again Dave lol. Man they'd sell some instruments
I got the L series and the VI from Elliot's Pawn Shop just near Central railway Station in Elizabeth St Sydney so definitely not new, the 59 Tele came from my local music store in 74 where I had spent stupid amounts of money on double stacks and smaller boutique amps it was an orphan that had been hanging on the wall for quite a while and was a straight swap for a 73 Tele Custom Delux that could only be described as not even fit for firewood, everyone wanted Strats, LPs or 335s ( Hank, Peter Green, Alvin Lee etc )

The SG came from a friend for $60 and passed on in a hurry for the same price ( bad man, bad chemicals, good money )

Swanny
04-05-2016, 09:38 PM
Happy to mention that I have just purchased a 2008 Fireglo Rickenbacker 4003 on Gumtree and expect it to arrive maybe before the weekend. Just missed out a new 2015 one on eBay from the States and in hindsight that was as blessing in disguise as all the importing crap would have done my head in.

Been looking for ages and the bloke who sold me this one imports many vintage guitars from Japan. He is based at Ringwood in Melbourne and also advertises on eBay albeit at a higher price.

Interesting to find out with the Ric 4003 was that earlier versions had a D profile neck and later ones now have a C profile. As he had 2 for sale I chose the thinner D profile after that explanation as it is closest to the 4001 spec therefore easier to play and more comfortable. Not blue like my old one but happy with Fireglo as I don't have any other burst in my current collection plus it's not all about the colour. Mind you the other choice was Jetglo which just happens to be their most popular colour but probably my least preferred as there is too much good maple to hide under a solid colour.

Good find, Waz, but don't bank on it being here before Monday.... Aussie Post seems to have slowed down, unless you're using a private courier company?

wazkelly
05-05-2016, 07:07 PM
Hey Swanny, I think you may be right. Even went to local PO near delivery destination today and they could not offer up any more clues than the online tracking tool. Maybe tomorrow, if not Monday I hope.

Fretworn
06-05-2016, 11:45 AM
The most amazing guitar I've ever had in my hands I didn't own. It was a Martin acoustic that a little old lady gave to a schoolmate after he'd mowed here lawns a few times. It had belonged to her son who had moved away and left it there and she didn't realise it was worth $$$$. It was a guitar that just made music when you touched it. I only reluctantly let it be prised from my hands. Playing it was a magical experience that made you feel twice the guitar player that you were.

kimball492
06-05-2016, 12:24 PM
Wazkelly It's hard to be patient when you know a new instruments on it's way lol

dave.king1
06-05-2016, 08:05 PM
The most amazing guitar I've ever had in my hands I didn't own. It was a Martin acoustic that a little old lady gave to a schoolmate after he'd mowed here lawns a few times. It had belonged to her son who had moved away and left it there and she didn't realise it was worth $$$$. It was a guitar that just made music when you touched it. I only reluctantly let it be prised from my hands. Playing it was a magical experience that made you feel twice the guitar player that you were.

In my last gigging band we had a father and so who had ( and still have ) mid 70s Martin D35 and D28 respectively.

Stuie French played Ronnie's D35 last year in a recording session and when asked what needed fixing, Stuie said don't touch it.

I have a recording of him doing Marty Robbins El Paso on it and it sounds wonderful, I'll edit it out of the full session and post it up.

Bottom line, old Martins are great

wazkelly
06-05-2016, 08:24 PM
Wazkelly It's hard to be patient when you know a new instruments Om it's way lol

It finally arrived at my workplace today.......very happy with this acquisition.

kimball492
06-05-2016, 11:00 PM
If it was sent in error Wazkelly send it here lol.That looks a beaut.

Andy40
07-05-2016, 04:03 AM
Somebody better PM this guy and show him this thread.......http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sunnybank-hills/guitars-amps/electric-guitar-collection/1111560549

He's gonna cry rivers by the time he gets to his 10th wedding anniversary....he's even selling a Duesenberg!

kimball492
07-05-2016, 03:09 PM
Andy do you think he's in need of the pitbull rescue team. Mind you I don't think his good lady might appreciate the concern lol.

wazkelly
07-05-2016, 04:17 PM
A divorce now might end up cheaper in the long run.

Dedman
07-05-2016, 04:24 PM
PBRT ready to roll

wazkelly
07-05-2016, 04:27 PM
That's the way to go Dedman, this guy clearly needs all the help he can get before it's too late.

Dedman
07-05-2016, 04:31 PM
I'd take his Dusenberg problem off his hands if I were a little more wealthy

Andy40
08-05-2016, 06:51 AM

same here dedman....same here. Luv the rescue vehicle.

kimball492
08-05-2016, 09:48 AM
Great rescue vehicle Dedman lol

Fretworn
09-05-2016, 11:38 AM

You'd probably live to regret it. Overpriced, trendy $#!t if you ask me, I'd rather have the Reverend. I can't believe he's letting a Klon go. I know it's not an original, but.......

cbee
17-05-2016, 07:23 AM
:o

i'm the said poor chap clearing his collection. was directed here by gavin. had a good chuckle too so thanks for that gents.

no need for that rescue team... yet - i'm keeping a lucky number of 7 guitars. don't think i'd able to live with myself if i let some of those go.

back to the topic, i had this very nice terada custom shop 335 copy (which came for perth) which i traded to my guitar tech for work credit (he's mainly a bassist so the fact he made an offer on it tells you something!). i regret it often but at least it's still in reach!