List as many as you like
Lead
Jimi Hendrix,Matt Belamy,Clapton, Steve Lukather Lou Reed Live cd,
Rhythm
Steve Marriot, John Fruciante,Carlos Alomar, John Lennon,Prince
Bass
Chris Squire, Paul Mcartney, James Lee Jamerson, Pino Palladino,Flea
Vocalist
Robert Plant, Peter Gabriel,Tina Turner, Marvin Gaye, Bob Marley,Sam Cooke, Adele,Bowie, Prince,Michael Jackson,

wokkaboy
26-04-2016, 01:33 PM
this is very tough KB, but for now I will say
lead - Hendrix
rythhm - Malcolm Young
bass - Victor Wooten/John Paul Jones/Les Claypool

my top 3 will probably change in the next few minutes

juddernaut
26-04-2016, 01:53 PM
Favourite bass player
Paul McCartney. Bass never the same.
Paul Jones

Other faves
Paul, John and George all came up with great stuff.
Caleb Fotherwill.
Angus
Bernie Leadon
Brewster Brothers
Dave Gilmore.
Hendrix.
Jim Moginie.
Deniz Tek
Mossy

Apologies to all the other greats I have forgotten\missed.

PS - Why does the HTML editor think we use US spelling?

Dedman
26-04-2016, 02:19 PM
Most people have probably never heard of a lot of my favs. Also as most bands I listen to only have 1 guitar I'm going to just group them all together.
Guitar: Rev Horton Heat, Brian Setzer (Stray Cats and the Brian Setzer Orchestra), John McGeoch(Siouxsie and the Banshees early stuff), Keme Kamogawa (Kinoko Hotel, you have to see them live to appreciate her) , Saki(Mary's Blood) Toki(Aldious) , Robert Fripp

Bass. David J (Bauhaus), Hideo Nekota(The Teenage Kissers), Steve Severin(Siouxsie and the Banshees), Barry Adamson( one time drummer with the Bad Seeds, solo artist and film soundtrack artist), Simon Gallup( Cure), Kiyoshi (plays with Marty Friedman)

Vocals: Siouxsie , Carl McCoy (Fields of the Nephilm) Tom Waits (yes seriously :p ) Barry Adamson

juddernaut
26-04-2016, 02:26 PM
Dedman - haven't heard of any of them!

kimball492
26-04-2016, 02:30 PM
Hey Dedman, saw Robert Fripp play with Peter Gabriel, Setzer is a great Rockabilly and blues player, Simon Gallup was or maybe still is with the Cure great band made some great singles. Severin used to play with Siouxie And The Banshees, what happened to her great talent early on.

Muzza
26-04-2016, 02:43 PM
David Gilmour, proving that speed is not an essential ingredient to be a great lead guitarist.

Also, I've always liked Nils Lofgren. Not many people have heard of him. He was in Springsteen's E Street band (I can't stomach Springsteen) but he was a solo performer in his own right before that, and was in a band called 'Grin' before THAT.

Prince was a phenomenal musician on a multitude of instruments, including lead guitar.

I love Pete Townshend's finger picking acoustic stuff, and while we're on finger picking, you can't go past James Taylor.

Dedman
26-04-2016, 02:45 PM
Kimball, I still air guitar with Fripps solo on Eno's "Baby's on fire"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nItuhuY1U04

juddernaut
26-04-2016, 04:12 PM
I love The Cure. Never knew name of guitarist.
+1 for Nils Lofgren

kimball492
26-04-2016, 04:54 PM
Yeah loved Nils Lofgren too. See what I mean how can you pick just a top ten guitarists lol. Dedman air guitars,what great practice lol.

wazkelly
26-04-2016, 07:44 PM
Very subjective topic this one and it really comes down to which era and also which genre?

For me late 60's to early 70's was mostly dominated by the Brits such as Page, Blackmore, Townsend, Clapton, Lennon, McCartney, John Paul Jones, Dave Gilmour, Roger Waters, with Hendrix the only decent Yank I can remember around this period.

70's and 80's was a weird time moving through disco, west coast sound, punk and then on to new wave however stand outs through all of this in my opinion were mostly Aussies such as the Young Brothers in AC/DC, Brewsters in Angels, Mossy in Chisel and as far as overseas acts went Knopfler arrived on the scene and I was just discovering a 3 piece Canadian band called Rush who at this time were judged the best musicians in the world for their respective instruments. Almost forgot Gary Moore who had a killer thick bluesy tone .

80's - 90's - to now has seen plenty of American R & B, Hip Hop, Rap stuff that doesn't get me going and is also totally devoid of much axe playing. Grunge arrived and from the ashes of Nirvana emerged an even better band with Dave Grohl out front of Foo Fighters. Not much tricky stuff going on but he knows how to write tuneful songs in much the same way as McCartney does with all band members contributing to an overall complete sound. For mine during this period Slash stands out and he has only got better over past couple of solo albums compared to his high points with Gunners. Muse have also arrived on the scene and whilst not everyone's cup of tea you cannot deny their talent and unique sound. Chillis have contributed plenty of good stuff too and just as well that Flea is such a good Bass player as John wasn't that strong a lead player.

If I had to pick a dream line up it would be Slash on lead, Malcolm Young on Rhythm, and Geddy Lee on Bass or Flea if he cannot make the gig.

dave.king1
27-04-2016, 07:52 AM
Lead
The one guitarist that kick started most of us of a certain vintage including a lot of those below - Hank Marvin

Prog - Robert Fripp, Frank Zappa, Gary Green ( Gentle Giant )
Blues - Rory Gallagher, Gary Moore, Walter Trout, honourable mention Samantha Fish & Joanne Shaw Taylor
Country - Redd Volkeart, Brent Mason, Ken Carlson, John Jorgenson, Jerry Donahue
Gypsy - Django, John Jorgenson

Rhythm
Bruce Welch, Malcolm Young, John Lennon ( in that order )

Bass
Jack Bruce, Tal Wilkenfield, Tim Bogert & the late Glenn Cornick

Sundragon
27-04-2016, 08:19 AM
Lead: Mark Tremonti
Rhythm: Myles Kennedy
Bass: Brian Marshall

Oh wait... that's just Alter Bridge :P

This is the stuff we will be talking about in the same way you guys talk about the 60's-90's now.......

https://youtu.be/JUh8NOTW1Ws

pablopepper
27-04-2016, 09:39 AM
Ok, here goes... I'm going to limit to 4 each otherwise I'll be here all day :D

Lead:
David Gilmour
Frank Zappa
Dimebag Darrell
Steve Stevens

Rhythm:
Bill Kelliher
Mark Hosking
Ed O'Brien
John Baizley

Bass: Billy Gould
Justin Chancellor
Robert DeLeo
Colin Greenwood

Vocals:
Thom Yorke
Kimbra
Jeff Buckley
David Bowie

And if we're including vocalists, why not drummers??

Drums:
Brann Dailor
Danny Carey
Dave Grohl
Steve Judd

This list is subject to hourly change.

juddernaut
27-04-2016, 11:53 AM
Ok, here goes... I'm going to limit to 4 each otherwise I'll be here all day :D
And if we're including vocalists, why not drummers??

Drums:
Brann Dailor
Danny Carey
Dave Grohl
Steve Judd

This list is subject to hourly change.

OK, now the Pandora's box has been opened; Ringo Starr and John Bonham.

Vocalists. John Lennon (see Twist and Shout, Don't Let Me Down). McCartney (see Oh Darling, Helter Skelter).

andrewdosborne
27-04-2016, 12:28 PM
Good stuff I think I listen to about every musician listed here. Ringo Starr - I think he's the most underrated drummer out there. A unique style and sound. My personal top influences on guitar include Wes Montgomery, Jimi Hendrix, Steve Hillage, Rory Gallagher and David Gilmore but listen to so many more in all styles.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

wokkaboy
27-04-2016, 12:40 PM
Ponch you forgot your favourite sound of all time - 4 into 1 exhaust on your Kwakka hahaha

andrewdosborne
27-04-2016, 01:00 PM
Ah yes I'll make it into a backing track!

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

wokkaboy
27-04-2016, 01:05 PM
haha reminds me of a V8 supercar driver making the sound of Waltzing Matilda with his engine notes. Absolutely beautiful sounding version !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7z1fMZJpL0

wazkelly
27-04-2016, 07:22 PM
haha reminds me of a V8 supercar driver making the sound of Waltzing Matilda with his engine notes. Absolutely beautiful sounding version !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7z1fMZJpL0

Can a Holden make that sound too Wok's as this pick looks like a Ford?

wokkaboy
27-04-2016, 07:31 PM
haha damn it Waz, I was hoping no one would notice it was a Ford, James Courtney was with Stone brothers racing (SBR) back then, so well before DJR and HRT days.
Nah mate a Holden would sound heaps better than the Ford. Would love to hear the national anthem played on a V8 !

wazkelly
27-04-2016, 07:41 PM
How about you have a crack at that in your SS Ute and post a sound clip for us all to listen to? Is yours a 6.0L as they sound gorgeous just purring on idle let alone the growl that develops once you hit the loud pedal.

Brendan
27-04-2016, 09:47 PM
Oooh - that's a segway... If we're talking things not musical making music - the nerd in me is inspired by:

https://youtu.be/X0j7XcTaD-I

Gavin1393
27-04-2016, 10:52 PM
Bass guitar - Pino Palladino, Mark King - Sting!
Electric - Keith Urban - Prince - EVH (cant believe no one else has him yet) and Gary Moore, not forgetting Carlos Santana or Brian May and of cource Jimmy Page and Ritchie Blackmore
acoustic - Phil Keaggy, Tommy Emmanuel, James Taylor and Clapton

Many other greats such as BB KIng, Duane Allman, Robert Johnson, Chuck Berry, Hendrix, Slash, SRV come to mind but not necessarily favourite styles of music...

Drummers? Has to include Ian Paice (who can forget his 6min solo on "The Mule". Phil Collins, Dave Grohl, John Bonham.

DrNomis_44
27-04-2016, 10:53 PM
Oooh - that's a segway... If we're talking things not musical making music - the nerd in me is inspired by:

https://youtu.be/X0j7XcTaD-I

Funny that, as it just so happens I'm watching Star Wars: Episode 4 A New Hope, right at this moment.

Andy40
28-04-2016, 04:39 AM
What an interesting thread.

I love everyone that was mentioned. I don't think I could add anyone to the list except Nick Perry, Ron Thal and Robin Finck on guitar.

Interesting Myles Kennedy was mentioned for Rhythm, I'll nominate him for vocals.;)

Fretworn
28-04-2016, 10:54 AM
To many guitarists, so little time.....

wazkelly
28-04-2016, 07:39 PM
Interesting Myles Kennedy was mentioned for Rhythm, I'll nominate him for vocals.;)

Have to agree with you about Myles Kennedy on vocals. He has such a great range and also quite versatile. Last century I thought Ronny James Dio had the best voice for metal but sadly he is no longer on this planet.