PDA

View Full Version : 1st cut of a demo

dave.king1
23-04-2016, 01:26 PM
The song No One Knows Midnight Like Melinda is a Max Richards original that he recorded in about 1976 with Men Of Country on their 2nd album.

The sound is a muddy mess at the moment because some of it was recorded in the round so those parts will have to be rerecorded as individual tracks, everything is straight into the mixer.

Probably the only things that will not be rerecorded are the bass and the drum track, and harmonies will be added to the basic structure

Buried rather deeply in this very rough demo is the PBH-4 I built a year or so ago, the guitar parts are Squier CV Thinline

https://soundcloud.com/suthol/no-one-knows-midnight-like-melinda-2016-demo

DrNomis_44
23-04-2016, 01:33 PM
That's a pretty cool demo mate.

kimball492
23-04-2016, 05:43 PM
Dave It seems you've sorted your recording problems out and it's working well great job

dave.king1
23-04-2016, 07:45 PM
Thanks guys, I only spent a couple of hours on it today so it was always going to be a bit rough.

Last week I found a suitable straight rock beat at 80bpm in the drum machine and recorded 5 minutes of it.

Thursday night I got Max to sing a guide track and put down an acoustic part to the drum track, unfortunately the pezieo in the guitar picked up his voice so the acoustic has to be rerecorded.

Today I chopped up the drum track for the tacits, laid down the bass track, a simple solo as a double track, a 1 or 2 strum to the bar electric rhythm and another electric part that is finger picked intervals following the chords.

There is reverb on some tracks and most have a bit of Eq.

Next Thursday night we'll rerecord the acoustic and then start on the voices, it will be at least 3 part harmony and possibly a bit of steel guitar.

This will become the proper demo but there will also be another version that will have the electric lead, lead vocal and two of the harmony parts stripped out to become a backing track for live performance.

tonyw
23-04-2016, 07:48 PM
Hi Dave i can see where your heading with this, keep it as old school country as possible

dave.king1
23-04-2016, 07:51 PM
Hi Dave i can see where your heading with this, keep it as old school country as possible

Given that I am the youngster at just short of 68 and the other two are 71 plus it will be reasonably old school :D

dave.king1
23-04-2016, 07:55 PM
Here's another one that we did a couple of years ago, all done one track at a time.

It's a song that Bob wrote for his father back in about 1974 that we played together back then and rerecorded with Max.

https://soundcloud.com/suthol/20-sons-of-poppa-browne

tonyw
23-04-2016, 07:56 PM
Yeah mate and i just clicked the 61 on Friday lol

DrNomis_44
23-04-2016, 07:58 PM
I'm turning 47 in August this year, guess that makes me a young pup....lol.

tonyw
23-04-2016, 07:59 PM
Never to young to learn Doc lol

DrNomis_44
23-04-2016, 08:01 PM
Never to young to learn Doc lol

Hahaha....trouble is, I never learn...lol.

tonyw
23-04-2016, 08:02 PM
Here's another one that we did a couple of years ago, all done one track at a time.

It's a song that Bob wrote for his father back in about 1974 that we played together back then and rerecorded with Max.

https://soundcloud.com/suthol/20-sons-of-poppa-browne

Ahh i have done my share of the old country, bought up on a foster farm as kid, good stuff mate.

dave.king1
23-04-2016, 08:03 PM
I'm turning 47 in August this year, guess that makes me a young pup....lol.

Very, my eldest will turn 47 in July :)

dave.king1
29-04-2016, 05:41 AM
So, I rerecorded the whole shooting match with very clean and balanced tracks and took it to rehearsals last night.

Got Max to put the vocal down which went well and the he realised the key of E is too high for his aging vocal chords, his original recording back in the 70s was in C and he sang it in a lower register but can no longer hit the low notes with enough strength.

Over the weekend I'll rerecord the rhythm, bass, guitar fills and lead track in D, then we'll redo the vocals next Thursday night

wokkaboy
29-04-2016, 09:32 AM
sounds good DK, look forward to the re-recording