PDA

View Full Version : It now seems we've also lost Prince age 57 to best band in the sky

kimball492
22-04-2016, 01:48 AM
http://youtu.be/nyyS0FSztKc

pablopepper
22-04-2016, 06:18 AM
This is up there with Bowie for me. Huge personal influence. Such a talented musical mind. RIP.

enikoy
22-04-2016, 06:23 AM
My favourite Prince and a guitar moment. Wait for it.

He was the greatest guitar player ever who wasn't "a guitarist".

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

pablopepper
22-04-2016, 08:15 AM
Love that footage, where the hell did his guitar go???

dingobass
22-04-2016, 08:32 AM
Wha!?? Love Symbol has left this mortal coil?
DAMMIT!

robin
22-04-2016, 09:15 AM
Yeah Pabs always intrigued me too. One of life's little mysteries, now we'll never know.

wokkaboy
22-04-2016, 10:13 AM
I was shocked when I heard the news on the radio this morning

sad loss, very talented muso

57 yo way too young

DrNomis_44
22-04-2016, 05:25 PM
Geez, we seem to have lost quite a few good musicians in the last few years.

dave.king1
22-04-2016, 07:14 PM
Not ignoring the loss of a huge talent.

They were talking about flu like symptoms I wonder if it may have been Legionairs or similar, if so its all the more tragic

DrNomis_44
22-04-2016, 07:28 PM
Not ignoring the loss of a huge talent.

They were talking about flu like symptoms I wonder if it may have been Legionairs or similar, if so its all the more tragic

I agree, most intriguing, I wonder if it is some weird new disease that's just evolved?

cork sniffer
22-04-2016, 08:29 PM
From SkyNews ...

"Entertainment news website TMZ has reported that 'multiple sources' informed them that Prince had been treated for a drug overdose six days ago.

TMZ reported that the pop star's jet made an emergency landing 48 minutes from its destination and at the time, Prince's representatives said it was due to the 57-year-old suffering from the flu.

However, TMZ were informed them that the emergency landing was because Prince needed to be hospitalised, where he was administered a 'save shot.'

The injection is ordinarily used to counteract the effects of opiates for people being treated for a drug overdose, TMZ reported that the Purple Rain singer left the hospital early and he was 'not doing well'."

Swanny
22-04-2016, 10:24 PM
It's weird, he's a vegan, doesn't drink, but drugs are okay??? He had a mixed up idea of good living, it seems.

kimball492
22-04-2016, 10:49 PM
Prince was never the same after fighting with his record company. I believe it was down to them ruining the guy.
Also he was recently being sued by Sony.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3015284/Sony-sues-Prince-stealing-Voice-contestant-Judith-Hill-producing-debut-album.html

Gavin1393
22-04-2016, 11:02 PM
David Copperfield knows.....

kimball492
23-04-2016, 01:55 AM
Engineer Joe Blaney on working with Prince. From an unpublished Tape Op interview.

"His method of recording was different from anything I’d been doing up to that time. One thing is he liked to start and finish a song, whether it took a few hours or a couple of days! There were a few that we went back and worked on that were mixed later. The first thing I did, after that trial mix, was “Dead” for The Black Album. We were starting to record songs for the Lovesexy record. There were basically two ways of recording; one was in the control room of Studio A, which had this huge, live recording room and stone drum booth. There’s nobody like Prince. He’s so talented and can play so many instruments. The vision for what he’s doing… there’s no one I’ve even heard of who’s quite like Prince. We got along fine. He’s actually mild-mannered and nicer than some people might think. Some of his public personas, to some degree, he puts on for people. He was demanding in the sense that he didn’t come from the traditions of recording that you would learn in New York or Los Angeles. His whole thing is homespun. We had this big room with a multi-channel SSL board and all this equipment around. But it was almost still being approached like a home studio. He would operate with a locator and punch in and out on things. If he accidentally erased something it didn’t bother him – he’d fix it or do it again or he’d change the arrangement to make it work. He was really clever. It was always an evolving work. He could operate everything to a degree. The only thing awkward about that was the transition to the SSL. The console in his house had been an API; I think that was more suited for him. The SSL 4000 consoles take a while to get used to make them sound good. It’s not like a traditional console, it’s almost like you have to re-synthesize the music using the compressors and gates. All the little tricks! It was interesting. He wanted a new engineer to get his sound more like other records he was hearing on the radio. At the same time he didn’t want to relinquish turning the knobs and mixing too. We had a relationship where sometimes he would sit there mixing and I would make suggestions. He’d ask my opinion and I’d be the technical expert for guidance."

http://www.joeblaney.net

Fretworn
23-04-2016, 05:44 AM
From SkyNews ...

"Entertainment news website TMZ has reported that 'multiple sources' informed them that Prince had been treated for a drug overdose six days ago.

TMZ reported that the pop star's jet made an emergency landing 48 minutes from its destination and at the time, Prince's representatives said it was due to the 57-year-old suffering from the flu.

However, TMZ were informed them that the emergency landing was because Prince needed to be hospitalised, where he was administered a 'save shot.'

The injection is ordinarily used to counteract the effects of opiates for people being treated for a drug overdose, TMZ reported that the Purple Rain singer left the hospital early and he was 'not doing well'."

They are now saying it was an (unconfirmed) Percocet overdose - i.e. prescription pain killers. And band mates have confirmed he had been looking very pale and unwell for a few weeks.