PDA

View Full Version : Reaper audio playback problem

dave.king1
20-04-2016, 08:07 AM
G'day all,

I have Reaper installed on a mini tower running Win 10 and a Toshiba laptop running Vista.

I use a small Peavey USB connected mixer and AISO4ALL on both and can record two tracks at a time with problems

On the PC I can select USB inputs and soundcard outputs so I can record additional tracks while playing back what I have already done.

I have created a drum track that I want to take to the band room at my mates place so we can put down a production acoustic track and a guide vocal track so I can then bring it home to add the bass and some electric parts before taking it back to do the production vocals & harmonies.

The laptop won't allow me to select the soundcard as an output device once AISO is selected as the input device, it wants to use USB output.

Obviously I have no intention of taking my office PC to band practice every time we want to record so original stuff.

Are there better audio drivers to use or is the issue elsewhere ( apart from Vista being crap )

Any ideas.

DrNomis_44
20-04-2016, 08:36 AM
G'day all,

I have Reaper installed on a mini tower running Win 10 and a Toshiba laptop running Vista.

I use a small Peavey USB connected mixer and AISO4ALL on both and can record two tracks at a time with problems

On the PC I can select USB inputs and soundcard outputs so I can record additional tracks while playing back what I have already done.

I have created a drum track that I want to take to the band room at my mates place so we can put down a production acoustic track and a guide vocal track so I can then bring it home to add the bass and some electric parts before taking it back to do the production vocals & harmonies.

The laptop won't allow me to select the soundcard as an output device once AISO is selected as the input device, it wants to use USB output.

Obviously I have no intention of taking my office PC to band practice every time we want to record so original stuff.

Are there better audio drivers to use or is the issue elsewhere ( apart from Vista being crap )

Any ideas.

You should get better results with a good USB Audio Interface and an ASIO Driver that's written specifically for it, ASIO4ALL is basically an alternative ASIO driver for the integrated soundcards found in Laptops and PC Desktops and is really just a workaround solution, I have used ASIO4ALL in the past and never got great results with it, what you really need is something like a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, or a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB Audio Interface because they come with a specially written Driver, I have a Scarlett 2i2 and I get good results with it when I use it with my Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop.

dave.king1
20-04-2016, 08:49 AM
Thanks Doc,

I am using a Peavey PV6 USB mixer and the inputs are fine, it's just the playback option on the laptop.

The mixer has a monitor jack and also control room L & R jacks but these all monitor the input.

I'm now trying to find an alternative AISO driver but I suspect the issues may be related to limitations in the Toshy laptop drivers

DrNomis_44
20-04-2016, 09:17 AM
Thanks Doc,

I am using a Peavey PV6 USB mixer and the inputs are fine, it's just the playback option on the laptop.

The mixer has a monitor jack and also control room L & R jacks but these all monitor the input.

I'm now trying to find an alternative AISO driver but I suspect the issues may be related to limitations in the Toshy laptop drivers

You could try looking on the Peavey website to see if they have an updated ASIO Driver that works with the PV6, they may have one available.

Here's a youtube video you might be interested in checking out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3R-HRE9OXE

Another thing you could try doing is a driver update of your Toshiba laptop itself, it could be that the audio driver needs updating.

Here's a handy little app you can download to your laptop to help sort out any audio issues, like dropouts:

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

dave.king1
20-04-2016, 11:32 AM
The Peavey website doesn't offer much in the way of drivers but I will check the Toshy site to see if there are driver updates available.

It's quite frustrating because the big box and the lappy both use Realtek Hi Def audio and the big box configures the way I need it to with no problems.

I know there was an issue in Win 7 with audio when using an external USB device, it took ownership of the signal path which defeated playback from within the machine. This was in a Call Centre supervisor monitoring environment

kimball492
20-04-2016, 12:46 PM
Hi Dave, did Docs info help if not maybe try below. I always remember vista being a bit temperamental with USB devices. Do you have an actual driver disk for the Peavey PV6 ?
Im trying to remember Vista system. Go to control panel then go to the sound tab manage audio devices and check to see if the Peavey is recognised there. If it's not try unplugging the peavey leave out for 20 secs. Then plugin again see if the peavey is then installed properly. If it is installed try redetecting. Another thing to make sure with reaper Is it possible you are recording and playing back at different rates? As in, recording at 44kHz, playing back at 48kHz? I'd imagine that is something that can be checked/defined in your recording/playback settings. If the problem persists Dave do you have a Windows 7 8 disk install one then do free upgrade and install win 10 free. You can go to the win 10 site and download free app that checks to see if your computer is win 10 compatible.
Good luck
Kimball

dave.king1
20-04-2016, 01:16 PM
G'day KB,

The Peavey disk only has the manuals plus and early version of Reaper and Revalver, no drivers of any sort.

The laptop sees the mixer and can be set to record and playback through the USB but the options in Reaper only give the option for the USB part for playback, not for Realtek HD soundcard which is an option I do have in the PC.

I can record on the laptop and if I unplug the mixer USB I can playback through the soundcard to internal or external speakers so it has something to do with the USB taking ownership of the signal path, BIOS maybe ??

( I'm going to give up on this for a couple of hours and go and sort the gearbox on the racecar for mental therapy )

kimball492
20-04-2016, 01:45 PM
Yeah Dave sometimes you just have to walk away. And come back refreshed lol

dave.king1
20-04-2016, 02:59 PM
A search of the net has found no updated drivers for either the sound card or the USB stack but there have been a few Vista updates happen.

DrNomis_44
20-04-2016, 03:17 PM
G'day KB,

The Peavey disk only has the manuals plus and early version of Reaper and Revalver, no drivers of any sort.

The laptop sees the mixer and can be set to record and playback through the USB but the options in Reaper only give the option for the USB part for playback, not for Realtek HD soundcard which is an option I do have in the PC.

I can record on the laptop and if I unplug the mixer USB I can playback through the soundcard to internal or external speakers so it has something to do with the USB taking ownership of the signal path, BIOS maybe ??

( I'm going to give up on this for a couple of hours and go and sort the gearbox on the racecar for mental therapy )

Might be a good idea to see if you can download the latest update for Reaper, that may fix your problems, I think I'm on Reaper 5.11 and am about to update to Reaper 5.18.

dave.king1
20-04-2016, 03:29 PM
G'day Doc,

I've been using 5.18 since it came out and it was the same in 5.16.

However I have had a eureka moment.

I have set the device properties to WaveOut, this allows me to select USB Mic in and Realtek out.

Stuck the headphones on and got the drum track in the headphones and tapped on the mic which is plugged into the Peavey mixer and bugger me.

It effing worked, time for a beer to celebrate.

Doesn't explain why I can select the desired options on the PC when selecting AISO drivers, but who cares I can now get on with recording our originals

WeirdBits
20-04-2016, 03:46 PM
On the laptop's Vista audio options (with the USB mixer attached) what is set as the default playback device? If it's set to the USB it may be that's why Reaper is trying to use it for output whenever it's connected.

Alternatively, you may be able to get around the issue by installing some virtual audio cable software, allowing to to re-map inputs/outputs to virtual cables and then select those in Reaper.

wokkaboy
20-04-2016, 03:53 PM
hey Weirdy is there anything you aren't a guru at ?

dave.king1
20-04-2016, 04:04 PM
On the laptop's Vista audio options (with the USB mixer attached) what is set as the default playback device? If it's set to the USB it may be that's why Reaper is trying to use it for output whenever it's connected.

Alternatively, you may be able to get around the issue by installing some virtual audio cable software, allowing to to re-map inputs/outputs to virtual cables and then select those in Reaper.

G'day Weirdy,

They map to the USB when it's connected but I can select the soundcard but then the laptop mic becomes the recording input which ain't good.

As I said it allows the correct selections with WaveOut so at least it is working, I'll look into VC software next

dave.king1
20-04-2016, 04:59 PM
Got the virtual cable software now to learn how to drive it

kimball492
20-04-2016, 05:23 PM
Never used the virtual cable software Scott in fact hadn't heard of it before. But if it does the job be great news

dave.king1
20-04-2016, 06:19 PM
Never used the virtual cable software Scott in fact hadn't heard of it before. But if it does the job be great news

I'll report back here in the next couple of days, at the moment I still have a full head of hair and hope it remains that way for quite a while yet