PDA

View Full Version : Too much intensifier?

Muzza
18-04-2016, 08:58 PM
I think the reason my intensifying coats are taking so long to cure is because I think I put too much on.

When I started on the headstock 2 days ago, I put it on very thinly, and it's dry already. The body I did 3 days ago doesn't seem much drier than when I put it on.

Should I rub it off and apply a thinner coat?

EDIT: it's DT mkI

dingobass
18-04-2016, 10:13 PM
You could try wiping it off with a rag dampened with Gum Terpentine.
let that dry off for a few days then scuff sand with 340 grit to remove any lumpy bits and to give it some tooth.

Thin coats are always best and try not to over work it. Wipe once, leave it to cure. If you miss any areas dont be tempted to try and go over them until it has cured.

Muzza
19-04-2016, 09:02 AM
Is "gum turpentine" different to regular turpentine?

dingobass
19-04-2016, 09:37 AM
Sure is Muzza.
Gum Terpentine is made from trees. It is one of the products produced when they process rosin out of timber.
Normal turps is a petro chemical, nasty stuff that is the main reason why you dont see too many elderly painter and decorators around :(

Muzza
19-04-2016, 11:41 AM
I think I might just leave it now. It WILL eventually dry, won't it? It's in the walk-in wardrobe with the de-humidifier on constantly, 48 - 52%

Time to take my mind off it and get stuck into the necks, I guess.

wokkaboy
19-04-2016, 11:52 AM
Hey Muzza, I find curing is helped by air flow, I hang my guitars under a patio out the back of the house, where my workshop is.
Anywhere you can let it hang with some air flow ?

dingobass
19-04-2016, 01:30 PM
Wot Woks sed.
Maybe you could set up a small fan in the wardrobe?
Might also help to knock the humidity back to around 30% ish

Muzza
19-04-2016, 02:54 PM
I've aimed the output vent of the dehumidifier at the bodies and it seems to have had an effect already.

I guess I'll know tomorrow for sure.

wokkaboy
19-04-2016, 02:56 PM
no worries Muzza, if the body has been sitting in a wardrobe with no air flow could be the reason the DT is taking a long time to cure

Muzza
25-04-2016, 10:16 AM
My 'de-humidifier cupboard' definitely does work more effectively with the output airflow aimed towards the guitar bodies.

A couple of questions...

1) I've run out of base coat, so I'm trying to build the finish with intensifier. Does the intensifier build the thickness up, considering it's applied so thinly?

2) Does each intensifier coat need to be COMPLETELY cured before applying the next?

3) How do you folks apply intensifier to your bursts, considering the recommendation is to apply it in one go and not "over work" it? (I know I've asked this question before, but I'm still not sure how to do it.) What I have been doing is apply the lighter colour just into the blended area, then apply the black just into the other side of the blend, then dab a mixture of black/ochre on the band between. I found dabbing it instead of wiping it gave me better control of the blending, but I feel like I'm going against the recommended advice.

The reason I'm trying to get a bit of thckness into the finish is because I'm finding it impossible to keep dust and debris out of the DT, and when I start applying the finish, I want to limit the possibility of sanding through the colour while trying get the surface smooth again.

dingobass
25-04-2016, 01:20 PM
Good to hear the de humidifier is doing its job.
There should be no problems with your dabbing technique, I have used it to cover lighter areas caused by my laziness when sanding out glue spots 😜
As for drying/curing between coats if it isn't tackcy to the touch, go for it.
The dreaded debris... I get it all the time.. dust and cat thing hair is the bane of my life....
What I do is very gently rub it with 320 grit between coats.
I only rub in one direction so as not to remove too much finish.
This removes the crud and gives a better tooth for the next coat as well as helping to keep the finish flat.