PDA

View Full Version : How glossy can it get?

dingobass
17-04-2016, 09:55 AM
I have seen a few orders for DT with poo oil added to the order as well.
My guess is the customer is chasing a high gloss.

So, the question is, how glossy can DT get?

Here is the answer..

This is after three coats, cut back with 800 grit to smooth out any gremlins and to remove any dust and strat cat hairs (one down side to having cat thing in the workshop) :p between coats.

Think it is safe to say thats pretty darn glossy.

dingobass
17-04-2016, 10:25 AM
And from a different angle..

Muzza
17-04-2016, 10:26 AM
If you're looking for possible reasons, I think one factor in ***-oil's favour is the shorter curing time? I realise that DT is, quite rightly, proudly promoted as an all natural product with no curing agents, but would it be possible to add a curing agent as an option?

For me the most frustrating thing about putting these kits together is the w a i t i n g between coats. It makes me long for something to sand...

wokkaboy
17-04-2016, 10:44 AM
that looks great DB nice and glossy after 3 coats

Andy40
17-04-2016, 11:10 AM
You make a good case DB. One thing you do have in your favour over there is less humidity. Something that I intend to battle as much as i can on my tele build.

I have a question though....will the intensifying coat and final coats cure faster if left out in the sun? or is that a no no?

dingobass
17-04-2016, 11:41 AM
@ Muzza. I do understand folk getting all excited about thier builds and wanting to get them done and making a noise :)
Coming at it as a professional Luthier, the one part of the build that should never be rushed is the finish.
Regardless of what finish I use I always leave the last coat to cure for 21 days before final cut and polish.
Of course, when someone is paying me multiple thousands of dollars for a custom build, they deserve the best finish...
To answer your drying time question, it is down to around 12 hours which is pretty good considering.
As for adding drying agents, it kind of goes against the philosophy of providing a safe as possible to use product (not that I would recommend drinking DT) :p
Drying agents contain nice friendly things like Cadmium, a known carcinogen with no safe exposure limit..
I guess the only way to deal with your desire to sand is to give in and admit that you have GAS. Sorry to say this but there is no known cure for GAS, only threapy which involves building more Guitars :D

@ Andy. The humidity here has been over 50% for most of the past week and a bit, so that is going to impact on any finish.
However, as you can see, the has been no blushing or milky affect on the DT and the cure time hasnt really stalled.
As for putting it in the sun, I would advise against that. Sure, it probably will speed up curing but it may also cause the timber to warp and crack.. Not a desirable outcome...
Best bet is to find a nice warm spot (25-30 deg C is optimum) with a touch of cross ventillation.

Andy40
17-04-2016, 04:32 PM
@ Andy. The humidity here has been over 50% for most of the past week and a bit, so that is going to impact on any finish.
However, as you can see, the has been no blushing or milky affect on the DT and the cure time hasnt really stalled.
As for putting it in the sun, I would advise against that. Sure, it probably will speed up curing but it may also cause the timber to warp and crack.. Not a desirable outcome...
Best bet is to find a nice warm spot (25-30 deg C is optimum) with a touch of cross ventillation.

Got it...thanks DB.

Andy40
19-04-2016, 03:41 AM
Hi DB,

Is that DT MkI or MkII?

also, what did you use to buff it up to shine?

dingobass
19-04-2016, 08:22 AM
Thats the new blend. No cut and polish done to it yet.

wokkaboy
19-04-2016, 09:39 AM
I tried the mark 2 final coat on Sunday and was impressed with the results of just one coat. I will wait a few days and apply the second coat and post some pics.

Muzza
19-04-2016, 11:44 AM
It's funny. I think I'll be more than happy to wait for 2 or 3 weeks for the final coat to cure, (when I finally get to that point,) but I've got zero patience with all the waiting between build-up coats.

I think I need to start yoga, or meditation...

tonyw
19-04-2016, 11:48 AM
It's funny. I think I'll be more than happy to wait for 2 or 3 weeks for the final coat to cure, (when I finally get to that point,) but I've got zero patience with all the waiting between build-up coats.

I think I need to start yoga, or meditation...

Just start a few more guitars and stagger them :cool:

Andy40
20-04-2016, 07:45 AM
DB, is there any reason we couldn't use the final neck coat on the body if we r having problems with mk1? Just curious

Gavin1393
20-04-2016, 07:52 AM
DB, would infra-red speed the drying in-between coats?

dingobass
20-04-2016, 08:10 AM
Andy, no problems there. The neck finish cures a bit harder, thats the only difference.

Gavmiester, heat isnt really going to make much difference. But I am curious to find out if UV lamps will speed it up as I have a feeling that the cross link polymerisation may be enhanced under UV.
I must research this further... Just need 34 hour days to fit everything in ATM...

stan
20-04-2016, 01:02 PM
so is that 12 hours between coats and let the last one cure for at least 21 days?

Andy40
20-04-2016, 02:33 PM
Stan, I leave at least a full week between coats and check them after that.

wokkaboy
20-04-2016, 02:36 PM
hey Stan welcome back saw on FB you been on a family road trip ! Hope it was fun.

Have to wait for DB to confirm your question, but I am assuming you are on the money Stan.

DB's rule is 21 days for any finish for the last coat to cure.

with the 12 hours between coats I'd say this is the bare minimum in ideal conditions so personally I would wait at least 3 days between coats - pretty easy when you have 5 or more builds on the go at once!

stan
20-04-2016, 03:10 PM
thanks guys, yes a camper van holiday in NZ, it was great

wokkaboy
20-04-2016, 03:23 PM
sounds good Stan, since you have been away DB is now 2nd biggest poster so you better make it up, he is close to 4k haha

stan
20-04-2016, 04:13 PM
well here is another then...

some of my threads need updating so they will add up, but i think DB will still be way ahead.

dingobass
20-04-2016, 04:22 PM
Especially as the DB has the power to mess with ya head :p

dingobass
20-04-2016, 04:23 PM
But seriously, 12 hours between coats should be enough unless it is cold and humid... oh wait... that's Melbourne on a normal day :D

Brendan
20-04-2016, 07:55 PM
But seriously, 12 hours between coats should be enough unless it is cold and humid... oh wait... that's Melbourne on a normal day :D
Last I heard it changed about 5 minutes ago.... Due another change any minute now.

Gavin1393
20-04-2016, 09:31 PM
Gavmiester, heat isnt really going to make much difference. But I am curious to find out if UV lamps will speed it up as I have a feeling that the cross link polymerisation may be enhanced under UV.
I must research this further... Just need 34 hour days to fit everything in ATM...
i'll get the UV lights, already have the guitar, just need the Dingotone! Taylor use a UV process on their guitars. Gives them a glossy finish but much thinner which allows the wood to breathe more (on their acoustics)

Brendan
20-04-2016, 09:57 PM
Gavmeister - you building again - or just loitering with intent ;).

Gavin1393
20-04-2016, 09:59 PM
Gavmeister - you building again - or just loitering with intent ;).
Always building, just work gets in the way.....far too often! Right now i should be doing BAS!!!

Brendan
20-04-2016, 10:36 PM
Good BAS (Bass Aquisition syndrome) or bad BAS (the other ATO one)?

Gavin1393
20-04-2016, 10:40 PM
The one that takes all my money and gives me nothing tangible in return....

Simon Barden
20-12-2016, 05:06 PM
Did you get any positive results from using UV, Gavin/DB?

dingobass
20-12-2016, 06:42 PM
Gave it a whirl on the original formulation, helped a bit but nothing to write home to mum about.
Not such an issue now with the new version.

Gavin1393
25-12-2016, 10:08 AM
I got very positive results using the UV in terms of drying time. It allowed me to progress much faster with the completion of my paint jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk