PDA

View Full Version : Splitting a humbucker

Dedman
12-04-2016, 02:02 PM
I'm about to start another project, a JR-1 and have a mini humbucker to replace the P90 it comes with. Now, the mini hb has 5 wires (red, black, green and white as well as an earth), I presume this is for splitting ?

I read somewhere that instead of a switch, a pot could be used to dial between single and humbucker sounds, anyone done this?

As I don't intend to run a tone pot I will have an empty hole to mount a single/bucker dial.

tonyw
12-04-2016, 02:12 PM
Many different wiring codes for many different manufacturers.

Heres a good read

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiring_resources_guitar_wiring_diagrams.humbucker_ wiring_color_codes/

tonyw
12-04-2016, 02:15 PM
Heres pretty much what i do to sort the wiring, i have a tester for magnet polarity

http://www.neighborhost.com/scrapbook/pickup-id.html

wokkaboy
12-04-2016, 02:16 PM
Hey Dedman, I just finished my JR-1 yesterday. Are you planning to plug the tone pot hole if just running a volume pot ?
Get a push pull pot (can be double or single) will allow you to coil split the mini humbucker.

Dedman
12-04-2016, 02:43 PM
Thanks Tony.

Yea Wokka, I will plug the empty hole if I don't use it for a splitter pot, I'm trying to keep it as minimalist as possible.

pablopepper
12-04-2016, 03:12 PM
I used a rotary split on my EX-1. It's pretty cool to be able to slowly dial out one coil.

WeirdBits
12-04-2016, 03:16 PM
This is using a pot to split the humbucker (Seymour Duncan wiring colours, obviously):

There's also the Red Rhodes circuit that incorporates a spin split with a tone control. Basically, at 10 you get a split to single coil, at ~8 it becomes full humbucker and then 8 -> 0 it works like a normal tone control on the humbucker.

wokkaboy
12-04-2016, 03:16 PM
that was the other suggestion I was going to say Pabs, put a blend pot in for the coil splitting and leave the volume standard.
Wouldn't have to plug the tone pot hole then

EDIT Weirdy beat me by less than a minute !

Dedman
12-04-2016, 04:23 PM
Thanks Weirdy, would that same diagram work with push pull? I would like to get it down to one control knob

wokkaboy
12-04-2016, 04:26 PM
hey Dedman, Weirdy will have to modify the diagram for one push pull volume, not a very big change, the 2 coil split wires (red/white on that diagram) will connect to the push pull lugs

Dedman
12-04-2016, 04:40 PM
OK, I'm not up on all the different kinds of switch (learning fast though! ) So does a push pull only do on/off on its secondary function (while volume remains variable) or would I still be able to "dial in" the pick up?

wokkaboy
12-04-2016, 04:43 PM
hey Dedman, correct a push pull the 2nd function is on or off, you may want a blend pot will let you dial in how much of the other single coil turns off.
Just spell out exactly what you want and Weirdy will have a solution.

There maybe a dual function push pull that will let you dial in the blend

Dedman
12-04-2016, 04:44 PM
hmmm, will think it over which way to go.
Thanks again

Dedman
12-04-2016, 04:50 PM
Posting this here so I don't lose it. The pick up is a Korean Artec

GREEN WIRE = LIVE

RED & WHITE WIRE =SPLIT/TAP

BLACK & BRAID WIRE = EARTH

WeirdBits
12-04-2016, 06:37 PM
1 Volume Push/Pull coil split:

(from here (http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiring_resources_guitar_wiring_diagrams.1_pickup_g uitar_wiring_diagrams/))

Dedman
12-04-2016, 06:41 PM
awesome thanks Weirdy

wazkelly
12-04-2016, 08:33 PM
You could always use a mini dpdt on-on-on switch which allows full humbucker, split coil, and out of phase.Wonder if you could do all of this just with a conventional LP style box switch with 6 lugs?

Alternatively 2 x 500k Bourns push pulls where one does the coil split and the other can do series/parallel. Most aftermarket PUPs come with instructions on which colour wires do what and go where, at least that is what I found with the Entwistles & Toneriders bought from PBG.

Another thought for using 2 x push pulls is that on my EX-1 the Bridge Pup splits to the screws whilst the neck splits to the slugs and there is a significant tonal difference between each split sound as the slugs have a bit more depth/warmth hence why PUP manufacturers recommend slug split at the neck.

Dedman
12-04-2016, 08:55 PM
Thanks Waz, I'm trying to keep things to a minimum so I think I'll just go with with one push pull for split or no split and volume. I'll fill the other hole :)
However I will keep this in mind as I still have the other humbucker from this set, a P90 and the single coils from my Tele that could be going into my scratchie. It's a just for fun build so I can mess around and do different stuff there...hopefully learn more stuff along the way.

wazkelly
12-04-2016, 09:15 PM
Sounds cool Dedman.

Here is a shot of 3 of those mini dpdt switches I used on my Son's strat copy mod a couple of month ago. They are fairly small and discrete, not like a typical LP switch. Gotta use Di Marzios only as the cheapies are pure rubbish.

Dedman
12-04-2016, 09:56 PM
are you happy with the Dark Stars? I have a set here for my GD-1 when it arrives

wokkaboy
13-04-2016, 08:38 AM
Hey Dedman I've put a set of Darkstars in a EX-1 and they are pretty punchy, should sound great in the coffin box !

PS you really are obsessed with dead people !

Dedman
13-04-2016, 09:10 AM
PS you really are obsessed with dead people !

You haven't read my stories then muhahahaaa. I was writing zombie fiction before Walking Dead made zombies flavour of the month.

wokkaboy
13-04-2016, 09:16 AM
wow you were a step ahead Dedman, imagine if you cashed in on the idea of zombie movies and series

Dedman
13-04-2016, 09:23 AM
Tried real hard, but getting published without paying for it is difficult. Had a B grade film maker in the US steal one of my main characters however. His film sucked so I don't care.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/City-Killer0055_zps3l8ydrej.jpg