PDA

View Full Version : Getting in to DAWS

kimball492
11-04-2016, 02:48 PM
Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs) are an essential part of any recording setup, even in modern analog environments. While it can be easy to give up a few hundred dollars for certain industry standard DAWs like ProTools (Avid), Logic (Apple) or Cubase (Steinberg) - or even over a thousand for solutions such as Nuendo (Steinberg) - you can just as easily find a usable solution for free (or free-ish). Here’s a closer look at three popular, affordable DAWs: GarageBand, Audacity, and Reaper.

GarageBand: The Beginner's iDAW

GarageBand, included with every current Mac model, is an OS X-only multi-track DAW for recording and mixing. It supports guitar/bass line inputs, audio inputs using a favorite audio interface (such as an Apogee Duet or a Focusrite 2i2), and software instruments for use with controllers such as keyboards. While there are several built-in templates for projects such as “Amp Collection” and “Hip Hop” (including Apple-made loops), an empty project provides a clean palette to develop a musical idea. In addition to MIDI, GarageBand will support any existing AudioUnits (AU) plug-ins, since AU is part of OS X’s Core Audio API. GarageBand also includes many standard effects such as compression and equalization. Synth, drum machine, and vintage organ samples are available along with a drum loop library for programming rhythms.

The ability to mix down directly to iTunes or export straight to SoundCloud will appeal to any Mac-savvy audio practitioner. For those who are fans of the layout of OS X and Mac usability, the interface has the same look and feel. To round out the experience, Apple has released Logic Remote, a free iOS app that turns an iPad into a controller. Support for GarageBand is primarily facilitated through Apple’s support website.

Bottom Line: A no-brainer for beginners with a Mac or users who love the clean, intuitive interface of other Apple products.

Audacity: Simple Yet Effective

Like GarageBand, Audacity is a multi-track DAW for recording and mixing. However, it is an open source DAW available for Windows, Mac and Linux, available via SourceForge. The user interface is a bit basic compared to other available DAWs, but it still includes many useful features like importing/exporting of a variety of file formats, dynamic processing, and effects including equalization, compression, reverb and normalization. Audacity also supports Virtual Studio Technology (VST) plug-ins, while an additional wrapper is needed for VST support in GarageBand. Audacity supports AU, LV2, and LADSPA (Linux Audio Developer’s Simple Plugin API) as well.

For those interested in tools such as noise reduction and spectral analysis, Audacity offers these items with a respectable amount of control. At this time, Audacity cannot natively record MIDI input, but this information can be imported after the fact. Like other DAWs, Audacity has full editing capabilities, level manipulation and batch processing. Since it’s open source, Audacity support is primarily available in the form of a wiki. In all, Audacity is a solid tool for those who are comfortable with audio computing through a no-frills interface.

Bottom Line: An extremely useful audio utility to use by itself or in conjunction with other platforms. Lacks the fleshed out features of mainstream DAWs like ProTools.

Reaper: The People's ProTools

Like GarageBand and Audacity, Reaper is a multi-track DAW for recording and mixing, but it also includes added functionality for mastering. Compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux, Reaper supports audio interfaces, software/virtual instruments, and plug-in support for AU, VST/VSTi, MIDI and ReWire (Propellerhead Reason integration). Reaper’s ReaPlugs Suite includes a variety of tools such as equalizers, compressors, reverb, delay/reverb and pitch correction. Editing functionality is also available, along with similar import/export features as the other DAWs mentioned in this article.

Reaper is highly customizable, providing the ability to create images, buttons, and use themes. For those who work with MIDI, Reaper’s built-in MIDI editor is customizable to allow color coding, editing and pitch manipulation. Reaper also supports controllers and 64-bit processing, making it efficient and responsive, the result of developers designing it to optimize CPU load-balancing. Some might be interested in Reaper’s pitch shifting, correction and time stretching capabilities.

Reaper is available for a 60-day evaluation. When it expires, users will be prompted to purchase a license ($60 discounted, $225 full commercial license) but will still be able to utilize the full-featured trial version. Two major version updates and somewhat unlimited upgrades are included with a license, since the developers seem to utilize Agile software development methodology. The Reaper user forum is the main place for support, with an extremely active community.

Bottom Line: When it comes to usability, Reaper holds its own against much more expensive DAWs like Logic. With a nearly limitless trial version and just $60 for a license, it's an easy way to take the next step in your digital recording journey.

Dedman
11-04-2016, 09:17 PM
Thanks Kimball. Does the PC need anything special ? My box was built for graphic work so while it has 32gig of ram it's only got on board sound.

kimball492
11-04-2016, 10:50 PM
Hi Dedman, if you have USB 2 ports reasonable Cpu and memory you should be fine. You'll just need an audio interface to get your Recordings into the DAW software. You can get some absolute bargains in audio interfaces now. The Scarlett 2i2 is a great quality interface for starters. But if you'd like something a little more versatile get the Scarlett 2i4 has extra inputs also midi if you'd like to add keyboards or play midi instruments. If I can help in anyway ask away.
Kimball

http://youtu.be/zybOGd2x6qA

DrNomis_44
12-04-2016, 01:25 AM
I happen to own a Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface and it has been great so far, I use it with my Dell Inspiron 15 PC Laptop and get good results, Focusrite have the most recent Scarlett 2i2 driver software for both Mac and PC on their website, the PC driver is compatible with Windows 10.

@ Dedman I would definitely recommend you checking out the range of USB Audio Interfaces that Focusrite offer if you're interested in using your computer for recording, your computer seems to have plenty enough ram so it should handle Audio recording well if it can handle graphic work, since graphics processing tends to be a bit more CPU intensive.

The Audio preamps built into Focusrite Audio Interfaces are considered to be of very good quality and are highly regarded by people working in the Music Industry in recording studios.

Dedman
12-04-2016, 07:28 AM
thanks guys

DrNomis_44
12-04-2016, 07:37 AM
If you have any problems setting up a DAW on your computer feel free to let me know Dedman, I'll be happy to help you out as much as I can mate.

tonyw
12-04-2016, 07:46 AM
I am putting together a new one as soon as i get back home form my break, i have all the parts and am ready to go.

Its not hard to setup a home recording studio or a DAW. I also like the Scarlet 2i4, but at the moment i still run a 16 channel desk into M Audio 2496 which still does a brilliant job after all these years, 15yrs i think, but its time to step up and out and this old stuff can go to the shed for drinking sessions and general misbehaving. :p

kimball492
12-04-2016, 08:03 AM
Hi Tony, more and more people are now working in the box. What that means is there using less analogue equipment. The main factor for that the plugns that are now available are so much better, computers are faster. There are now plugns that give you the sound of tape. There are still benefits to analogue equipment,but that difference is quickly becoming less and less. Here's an interesting video of an interview with Grammy Award winning engineer and mixer Jacquire King (Kings Of Leon, James Bay, Mutemath). Well worth a watch and listen. http://therecordingrevolution.com/2016/04/11/grammy-winner-jacquire-king-on-mixing-in-the-box/. If you get the chance Tony check out Studio One as a recording DAW it's now giving you the sound of a real analogue console.

Thanks
Kimball

kimball492
12-04-2016, 08:18 AM
The great thing about the Scarlett interfaces is most of them actually work with your iPads too,so for mobile recording they are great.

tonyw
12-04-2016, 08:22 AM
I have been running Waves Diamond Bundle since about 2000, i also have a few tape plugins i think one is called true warmth a tape type warmer that works ok, very expensive stuff in the day and it still works today, but what i find i dont use half the plugins i have.

I started on 2 track tape in 1968, reverb was the bathroom, then 4 track in the 70's, 8 track in the early 80's then had my 8track reel to reel and a desk until 95 when i built my 1st DAW. I worked in one of the 1st studios to use Pro tools, i did their mastering for them, it had a dongle back then, i used to be glad to get away from it, and get back to mastering on my own gear.

For what i do i dont need alot of plugins, i find too much and they lose the earthy sounds i want to create if they are over used, guess i am plug in and play, get it right pre production nothing to do in the post.

Some good reverb some nice compression L1 Ultra Maximiser has always been a fav, as for analogue or digital? well i guess at the end of the day it doesn't matter what your using, it all ends up as zeros and ones ;)

kimball492
12-04-2016, 08:54 AM
We all have our favourite plugins love the waves diamond , Mercury bundles. waves vocal rider bass rider,SSL channel Strips API 2500. I also use the UAD plugins via a satellite box. Slate Digital love his plugins especially the console and virtual mix rack. Oh yeah Waves Andrew Scheps 73 preamp and eq. I think once you find your favourites you stick to them. I also love Masseys DRT drum replacement.as long as they do the job sound great then they get used.