PDA

View Full Version : Modifying Tremolo set ups

FrankenWashie
07-04-2016, 07:40 PM
Hi guys,

Has anyone ever modified a trem to shorten the block?

I ask as i've reached a cross roads in a project, I want to use a Floyd(ish) Trem but a standard one is going to be too deep for the body to accomodate.

Can you remove the block and re-machine it to make the whole assembly shallower?

tonyw
08-04-2016, 04:20 AM
https://www.allparts.com/BP-0270-001-Short-Tremolo-Block_p_934.html

DrNomis_44
08-04-2016, 11:09 AM
I bought one of those short sustain blocks for the Chrome Schaller Lockmeister Floyd Rose Trem kit I ordered from Realtone Music for my PRS SE Custom 24, it went straight onto the bridge with no mods needed to make it fit, the original sustain block was too big to fit it, hence the reason why I ordered the short block.

The stock block was 42mm, and the short block was 34 mm.

FrankenWashie
08-04-2016, 04:14 PM
@TonyW - Cheers!
@Doc, thanks for that mate, What was the body depth you had for the PRS?

DrNomis_44
08-04-2016, 10:36 PM
@TonyW - Cheers!
@Doc, thanks for that mate, What was the body depth you had for the PRS?

The thickness of the body on my PRS SE Custom 24 is approximately 44mm, I presume that's what you mean by body depth, it has a flat top with no contouring, the stock sustain block would have had no clearance between it and the plastic trem spring routing cover if the top of the bridge plate was flush with the top of the body, hence the reason why I installed the shorter block, the original PRS bridge floated about 1/16th of an inch above the body.

FrankenWashie
09-04-2016, 09:27 PM
yeah I am operating in the region of 36mm total body depth/thickness. I have found that Schaller go as shallow as 32mm in their standard term set up. may have to access one of those.