PDA

View Full Version : Australian Guitar Making School needs inner city places.

Tweaky
07-04-2016, 07:28 PM
I would love to do one of these courses [I'd probably opt to build a acoustic Mandocello - if only because a Aus made Gilchrist model is close to 20k ]

Problem is the tyranny of distance.
My closest place to do the course is the central coast

The courses run from 6pm to 10pm, I'd need to do it after work...... 2.5 hours by train to Gosford.... 20 minutes from train station to where I'm supposed to be, 4 hour course, 20 min back to train station...wait for train, another 2.5 hours back to Sydney's Central station, 10 minute walk... I'm stuffed and collapse.... repeat once each week for approx 30 weeks...it's not going to happen.

Some Luthier needs to take a franchise with this lot and run a center closer to Sydney City... Guaranteed a steady income ... would suit a retiree that has built guitars.

Whoever did this would be inundated with requests .... I don't know what is involved regarding the requirements / qualifications is to do this.

Anybody that falls into that "Suitable " to teach category, apply at the website below.

http://australianguitarmakingschool.com.au/locations.php

adam
07-04-2016, 07:51 PM
Hey Tweaky, kind of related, but a couple of years ago we put out a call for experienced builders to start some kit building classes in their City. I maintain there are quite a few members here who could run some really great BYOG classes, they just need to find a suitable venue and put the word out.

Pit Bull Guitars would be happy to support with bulk discount on kits for the classes, Facebook advertising (8000+ fans), printing of instructions, etc.

Maybe it was the wrong time back then, but I think the idea is still a good one, and some of the builders on here could make a rewarding (spiritually and financially) hobby business in guitar building classes. They just need to dive in and do it.

If anyone is interested, email me and I can assist with getting you started.

DrNomis_44
07-04-2016, 08:07 PM
That would be such a cool idea Adam, if there was something like that up here in Darwin, I'd sign myself up as a student in an instant.

Dedman
07-04-2016, 08:11 PM
I think the biggest issue for most guys would be having somewhere to actually hold the classes. I'm guessing most guys here work in their garage or on the verandah.

dingobass
07-04-2016, 08:13 PM
It is a great idea. I did have a look at it a few years back and for the want of a suitable space, a boat load of tools required and a spare couple of grand for insurances I would have given it a crack.

What I now think is it could be a great idea to approach local Mens Shed groups and see if they would host it.
That way the biggest expense of insurance would be drastically reduced and access to enough tools solved..

All I need now is an extra 20 hours in a day to make it happen :p

Dedman
07-04-2016, 08:22 PM
now that's a good idea DB!

FrankenWashie
09-04-2016, 09:31 PM
I believe there is such a group operating in Sydney from the Lilyfield Men's Shed? I don't have confirmation of that though.

Tweaky
20-04-2016, 03:23 PM
I think the biggest issue for most guys would be having somewhere to actually hold the classes. I'm guessing most guys here work in their garage or on the verandah.

I think that is the major problem as well.
Having a lock up working space large enough to hold wood stock, tools and sufficient working space to teach in, while being able to safely store pupils guitars as works in progress that is hopefully vandal proof , isn't going to be cheap in Sydney.

Hell, a basic 2 bedroom unit in a average inner city suburb if getting at least $1000 per week rent.

It needs help / support from local councils if anything like this could ever work at a reasonable cost, and where it would have the most people wanting to do it.

DOH!
I just realized, I do have a basically unused church hall directly across the road from me, and I'm as about as close to the Sydney CBD as you can get... [It was only the upcoming election that made me think of the hall, as that's the local polling booth]

Marze
20-04-2016, 05:47 PM
I believe there is such a group operating in Sydney from the Lilyfield Men's Shed? I don't have confirmation of that though.

Hmmm, I will have to chase this one to ground. Lilyfield is the next suburb across from me. I will report back.