PDA

View Full Version : Zeddybitz...

dingobass
04-04-2016, 11:07 AM
This is Zeddybitz, a Boxer Pointer cross.. Hence the name :p

Zed is a rescue.
He was rescued by the wonderful City Rangers in Queanbeyan NSW. They have a no kill policy and work very closely with NSW and ACT animal rescue organisations.

When Zeddybitz was rescued, he weighed 11 kg.... Had spent his life chained up on a concrete floor with just a sheet of tin for shelter.
He had been beaten and mistreated so badly he would literally shit himself and try and run away if you so much as raised your voice.

My good friends Alexis and Drew of Belconnen Discount Pets took him in and nursed him back to health.
I was working part time for them when I first met Zeddy. He had just been picked up from the Vet after his neutering and a small op on one of his eyelids (he had an ingrowing eyelash)
The big boof had the cone of shame on and he looked up at me with those big sad eyes and I just knew I had to give him the life he deserved.

Anyhoo, a few months later after he was up to a more healthy 16kg it was decided that I would have him for the day to see if he and Saffy the Staffy would get along. They did.
Zed spent the day playing and sleeping on the lounge (something he wasnt allowed to do at Lex and Drews)

Next day, (after I got a roasting because the first thing he did when he got back to Lex and Drews place was to get up on the rather expensive leather lounge :p ) Lex rang me and asked if I would foster him as there was another dog that needed rescue.
Needless to say I said yes, and also said you wont be getting him back :D
Turns out that was Lexies MO.... She does that to heaps of the foster carers....

And now, 9 years later, you would never know how terrible a start in life he had.
Everyone who meets Zeddybitz immediately falls in love with him.... Even non dog people cannot resist those big eyes...

wokkaboy
04-04-2016, 11:12 AM
Zeddy is a cool dog. He doesn't get any where near as excited as Safron needs a rev limiter fit !

pablopepper
04-04-2016, 11:13 AM
Aw, he looks like an absolute champ.

DrNomis_44
04-04-2016, 11:15 AM
Awwwwww....he's a lovely dog, I'm glad he's got a good home now.

adam
04-04-2016, 07:21 PM
DB, it's no secret that I absolutely adore Zeddy. He is such a great dog. Every time I pull up to your place, I most look forward to seeing Zeddy again. Apart from you that is!.. no, that's not true, it's Zeddybitz.

Dedman
04-04-2016, 07:32 PM
Great to see so many rescue dogs homed. I was pet shop kid, my folks owned a pet shop for most of my teenage life and it was often heart breaking to see people take animals home that you knew would lose interest in them after 2 weeks and neglect the poor animal. I had the choice of taking on the biz when I left school but knew I wouldn't last, too many cases of the animal being smarter than the buyer. We were big into bird breeding, some people can't even manage to put seed and water in a cage ffs

dingobass
04-04-2016, 07:49 PM
I hear ya Deaddy..
My friends Lex and Drew who own the pet shop I worked in were the first in Canberra to stop selling puppies and kittens.
They made the decision to promote rescue instead and thier business grew as a result..

There were a few times during my tenure there that I refused to sell birds to folk as my instinct told me it was an impulse buy..
This is why I hate seeing cute puppies and kittens in those bloody horrible glass boxes in pet shops... I have been banned from both Armadale Mall pet shops for being a tad vocal in my disapproval :p
Do I care? Nope, but I always make a point of walking past and very loudly telling them what a holes they are for promoting puppy farms...

dingobass
04-04-2016, 07:52 PM
Adam, we are used to Zeddy getting more visitors than we do.
Infact, the past few years Zeddy recieved more Xmas cards than we did.........

tonyw
05-04-2016, 04:07 AM
Hes looks lazy like me old bullmastiff lol sleep, sleep, eat, walk, sleep. My old boy was that lazy he let the dog next door bark if any one was out the front of the house, but step onto the property and everyone knew there was a BIIIIG Dog waiting.

I would love another dog, but i need to travel more, and i dont like seeing people with dogs living in caravans and cars all day. I also hike in National Parks alot and the old dog would restrict me in doing that.

dingobass
05-04-2016, 08:26 AM
Sleep, eat, sleep then a bit of woofing at imaginary space aliens then more sleep followed by ten minutes of maniac playing with Pindari then sleep.
Thet pretty much sums the old boy up these days..

Dedman
05-04-2016, 10:28 AM
We stopped selling pups and kittens in the mid 70's. By the time the folks sold out in the early 80's they were only doing birds and fish.
I don't have any pets atm. I had fish up till a couple of years ago but when I got ill they were the same as any other pet....find someone to look after them for you.......not easy. I'd love a dog but if I had to go into hospital there is no one to care for it.

dingobass
05-04-2016, 01:09 PM
Its always a worry with pets, what happens if you become ill or incapacitated....

One way of having a dog would be to get involved as a foster carer, I know the attachment will happen but it can be very rewarding knowing you have helped to save another dog from an uncertain future.. And you get the benifit of having a four legged companion :)

tonyw
05-04-2016, 01:33 PM
My problem would be i couldnt give it back

adam
05-04-2016, 07:29 PM
Its always a worry with pets, what happens if you become ill or incapacitated....

One way of having a dog would be to get involved as a foster carer, I know the attachment will happen but it can be very rewarding knowing you have helped to save another dog from an uncertain future.. And you get the benifit of having a four legged companion :)

+1 for Fostering. I've had 7 dogs to look after since Lucinda and it's been such a great experience. Some are only here for a few weeks, others, like Betsy, hang around a bit longer. There are so many dogs in kennels (which is horrible to see), so if you have the room for a dog but don't want to commit to 15 years, fostering is the way to go.

Pet Rescue is a good place to start: https://www.petrescue.com.au/

Dedman
05-04-2016, 07:55 PM
I'm with Tony, once I became attached I wouldn't want to give it back.