PDA

View Full Version : Gengle and Holly

DrNomis_44
31-03-2016, 09:03 AM
Here are a couple of new pics of my two pet cats, I got them as kittens from a former friend about a year or so ago, since they're from the same litter they are virtually brother and sister, they get on pretty well with each other, the male cat, Gengle, is the more placid and friendly of the two, which is surprising considering he was a bit shy as a kitten, the female cat, Holly, is a bit bitey and clawy but can be friendly when she wants to be.

Here's Gengle, I named him after one of the characters in one of my Legend Of Zelda video games:

Gengle sometimes likes to curl up in my lap when I'm working on something on my desktop PC, or working on my strat build, he's also the more vocal of the two.

Here's Holly, she's named after a character in one of my Red Dwarf DVDs:

Holly has a habit of hopping up onto my bed when I'm sleeping and standing on my back or tummy, and then she kneads with her paws and lets out a short meow till I open my eyes, she sometimes tries to wake me up by tapping my mouth with her paws, she's pretty smart too.

wazkelly
31-03-2016, 08:19 PM
Nice ones Doc.

Cats are a lot smarter than most people realise and each have their own unique personality.

I think the saying goes cats have masters whilst dogs have owners as quite often we are servants to these small, indifferent, demanding balls of fluff. Dogs on the other hand give unconditional love an companionship and can be a bit demanding in their own way too.

Sadly both our kelpie/cattle dog and cat have passed on after reaching almost 18 years each. Kids have also moved out of home and whilst it feels a bit lonely after a few seconds you start to appreciate how much more freedom we have. Another pet would be nice but not ready to commit to that for a while.

Joe Piler
31-03-2016, 08:36 PM
Sorry to hear about your pets kelly.

Thats a cute couple of cats doc Holly reminds me of my childhood cat who still lives at my parents house 20 years old and counting! Didnt have the heart to take her with me when i moved out. A house with a big yard to a 2nd floor appartment wouldnt have done her much good i think.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn D6603 met Tapatalk

dave.king1
01-04-2016, 05:14 AM
Nice ones Doc.

Cats are a lot smarter than most people realise and each have their own unique personality.

I think the saying goes cats have masters whilst dogs have owners as quite often we are servants to these small, indifferent, demanding balls of fluff. Dogs on the other hand give unconditional love an companionship and can be a bit demanding in their own way too.

Sadly both our kelpie/cattle dog and cat have passed on after reaching almost 18 years each. Kids have also moved out of home and whilst it feels a bit lonely after a few seconds you start to appreciate how much more freedom we have. Another pet would be nice but not ready to commit to that for a while.

I thought the saying was something like.

Dogs have family, cats have support staff :D

DrNomis_44
01-04-2016, 05:20 AM

In actual fact, the cats own us, when a cat rubs itself on a person's leg the person will interpret that as a sign that the cat likes them when what the cat is really doing is marking the person with it's scent as a way of claiming ownership.

dingobass
01-04-2016, 09:41 AM

Dogs have servants, cats have slaves.....

dingobass
01-04-2016, 09:49 AM
Some folk say that Cat kneading is a sign of affection...
I say it is the Cat probing for internal weaknesses to incorporate into the next assasination attempt.

DrNomis_44
01-04-2016, 05:00 PM
I say it is the Cat probing for internal weaknesses to incorporate into the next assasination attempt.

From what I've read online, Cat Kneading is actually a behavior left over from when the cat was a kitten, Cats knead when they are feeling happy and contented, kneading is usually accompanied by purring.

wazkelly
01-04-2016, 09:59 PM

Thinking that they are apex predators.

DrNomis_44
01-04-2016, 10:45 PM
Thinking that they are apex predators.

The modern domesticated cat that we know today actually evolved from wild cats that ancient man kept as pets, so in a way you're right in saying that they are apex predators, it's just that mankind domesticated them.

Joe Piler
02-04-2016, 01:25 AM
The modern domesticated cat that we know today actually evolved from wild cats that ancient man kept as pets, so in a way you're right in saying that they are apex predators, it's just that mankind domesticated them.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160401/e5c31f13c846d28d4eb2e003a09f6e98.jpg

Obviously the face of a killer!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn D6603 met Tapatalk

dingobass
02-04-2016, 07:00 PM

Sorry Doc, but cats and dogs domesticated humans to be used as slaves :p

DrNomis_44
02-04-2016, 07:02 PM
Sorry Doc, but cats and dogs domesticated humans to be used as slaves :p

Lol....sorry, I forgot that....haha.

DrNomis_44
04-04-2016, 05:35 AM
Gengle has an odd habit of play-biting me on one of my feet after I've had a shower, not sure why he does that, he also rubs his side against my legs too, even though my legs haven't dried.

dingobass
04-04-2016, 07:54 AM
Empress Pi does the same thing to me... Perhaps its a way of them re marking us with their ownership scent?

DrNomis_44
04-04-2016, 08:34 AM
Empress Pi does the same thing to me... Perhaps its a way of them re marking us with their ownership scent?

According to what I've researched online, that's most likely what they are doing, I've also read that cats are smart enough to vary the sound of their meows to get us to respond in a certain way, have you noticed how the cats meow sounds different when it wants to be fed compared to how it sounds when it's happy to see you?, cats train us to do things for them.

dingobass
04-04-2016, 08:38 AM
Yhep. Although when our fat maniac psycho wants food it usually involves an assasination attempt followed by that look that only a cat can give you.....

DrNomis_44
04-04-2016, 08:51 AM
Yhep. Although when our fat maniac psycho wants food it usually involves an assasination attempt followed by that look that only a cat can give you.....

That's a behavior that the cat has probably learnt in order to get his human owners to feed him, I find cat psychology fascinating, here's a link to a Wikipedia page on cat intelligence I just found:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_intelligence

Apparently a cat brain is a lot like a human's brain, and they can remember things for up to 10 years.

juddernaut
19-04-2016, 07:15 PM
Red Dwarf was a brilliant show. Your Holly is very cool. Our cat scary smart, runs rings around us and is highly trainable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dingobass
19-04-2016, 07:40 PM
Dont ya mean the cat has you trained?
Ours sure does.... :p

DrNomis_44
28-06-2016, 09:37 AM
My cat, Holly, is currently camped on top of my DAW PC case, it never ceases to amaze me how cats can sleep on some places that look uncomfortable, but then again a Cat's skeleton is very flexible.

She was invading my lap a few minutes ago, have you ever noticed how a cat becomes demanding of it's owner's attention when it's owner is busy?

Spoke too soon, she just decided to invade my lap again....lol.

DrNomis_44
06-07-2016, 01:17 PM
Have you ever noticed how pets, and cats in particular, become very friendly when they know you have food?, furthermore, have you ever notice how much faster they seem to move too?

wokkaboy
06-07-2016, 01:24 PM
Hey Doc, yes cats to food is like man to workshop and beer haha

DrNomis_44
06-07-2016, 01:43 PM
Hey Doc, yes cats to food is like man to workshop and beer haha

Yeah, hahahaha....I went up the road to buy something to eat from the Cafe, and now I've got both my cats pestering me to give them some of what I'm eating, some chicken bites and chips, with chicken salt and gravey, I also bought an iced coffee to wash it all down, oh, I also have some tasty Sweet n Sour with steamed rice too....yummy

Funny thing was, before I went to the Cafe, the cats were both happy to lie around grooming themselves.

DrNomis_44
06-07-2016, 02:15 PM
In certain situations cats can be pretty funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G456H_TrhPY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vDSajsxeNQ

Or, really cute as kittens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkPtO7nAlpA

DrNomis_44
09-07-2016, 01:41 PM
Look who has just claimed ownership of my computer desk....hahahaha.....I don't have the heart to pick her up and remove her from my desk, so it looks like I'll have to put up with her being there:

See, she's making herself right at home now....lol:

Now, she thinks my lap is a great place for her to have a good sleep, I think she's cat-tired....lol:

juddernaut
04-08-2016, 09:29 PM
It is called feline paralysis. When you can't move cuz a feline has used you as a cushion

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stan
05-08-2016, 04:49 AM
Well it's seems he cat is attracted to the mouse...

wazkelly
11-08-2016, 07:39 PM
Amazing how they know when you are working on something that requires a bit of concentration and next thing they appear and won't get out of the way.

Gotta love em as they are more intelligent than dogs hence why it is very difficult to train a cat.....they have to want to do it whereas dogs just do it for a reward.

DrNomis_44
11-08-2016, 11:38 PM
Amazing how they know when you are working on something that requires a bit of concentration and next thing they appear and won't get out of the way.

Gotta love em as they are more intelligent than dogs hence why it is very difficult to train a cat.....they have to want to do it whereas dogs just do it for a reward.

Actually, we don't train the cats, the cats train us, it's been proven that cats can deliberately change the tone of their meows to get a certain response from a human.

FrankenWashie
12-08-2016, 11:48 AM
That explains why cat 1's indignant "Miaow" of this morning sounded awfully like "Oi! Dickhead! Where's me Biccies? and cat 2's plaintive "MIAOWWWWWWWW" sounded like "Stop moving, I've just got comfortable!" I've been conditioned. And my cats are arseholes.

DrNomis_44
12-08-2016, 07:10 PM
That explains why cat 1's indignant "Miaow" of this morning sounded awfully like "Oi! Dickhead! Where's me Biccies? and cat 2's plaintive "MIAOWWWWWWWW" sounded like "Stop moving, I've just got comfortable!" I've been conditioned. And my cats are arseholes.

Cats are very self-centred creatures, I found that with my two cats 85% of their behaviour is geared towards letting me know they want to be fed (even after I have just fed them), 5% involves sleeping, and the remaining 10% is involved with self-grooming....lol.

Statistically, cats actually spend 3/4 of their lives asleep.

Fretworn
13-08-2016, 05:58 AM
Except they never sleep as deeply as we do. Cats are not domesticated, some just enjoy a symbiotic relationship with humans. This is why we have feral cat problem, but not a feral dog problem.

Dedman
13-08-2016, 09:21 AM
actually we do have a feral dog problem, a big one.

DrNomis_44
20-08-2016, 04:35 PM
I just went out to the loungeroom and found Gengle lying on his back on a chair in a funny position, couldn't resist the urge to take a pic of him:

DrNomis_44
09-02-2017, 03:22 PM
As you can see, my friendly, furry, feline supervisor is hard at work....supervising me:

DrNomis_44
17-02-2017, 09:08 AM
Just got back home after taking my cat, Holly, to the Vets in Parap to get sterilized, I'm supposed to be picking her up at 5:30pm this afternoon, so I'm not going into uni today, besides I need a break from uni anyway.

DrNomis_44
17-02-2017, 04:14 PM
Update:

I have now got my cat, Holly, back home from the Vets, she's having some thing to eat, she's not quite back to her normal self because she's coming down from the drugs that the Vets gave her so she's a bit lethargic, but she did let me pat her, she'll be fine in the next few days.

Hobastard
17-02-2017, 05:02 PM
Dogs have Masters,
Cats have Staff....

DrNomis_44
28-10-2017, 12:24 PM
Cats seem to have a great ability to sleep in funny positions, here's proof:

DrNomis_44
07-01-2018, 10:45 AM
Here's a couple more pics of my two furry, friendly, IT tech support staff, they have recently discovered that the wooden computer desk in my loungeroom makes a great place for them to camp, so, I put some spare tea towels on the desk in front of the monitor so that they would feel more comfortable.

Here's Holly, IT tech support staff member 1:

And here's Gengle, IT tech support staff member 2: