PDA

View Full Version : Soft eating liquorice

DaveyCustom
29-03-2016, 10:28 AM
My wife just haded me this
This sh#% is AWESOME! Is it really something from Australia, or is that a marketing gimmick?

peterh
29-03-2016, 10:46 AM
We don't have that brand - but we do have other soft liquorice that claims to be from down under, and yes, it is awesome sh#t. But green apple flavour? I'm a tried and true black liqourice lover myself but I've never seen or tried apple :)

DaveyCustom
29-03-2016, 10:48 AM
We don't have that brand - but we do have other soft liquorice that claims to be from down under, and yes, it is awesome sh#t. But green apple flavour? I'm a tried and true black liqourice lover myself but I've never seen or tried apple :)
I like it all.. this is sort of weird, yet amazingly delicious!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

tonyw
29-03-2016, 10:53 AM
Darrel Lea is huge Chocolate and Liquorice and confectionery maker here.

pablopepper
29-03-2016, 11:07 AM
That stuff is pretty great. Most Darrel Lea stuff is pretty great. There is also a pineapple flavour that is off this planet, but I think they stopped making it because I haven't seen it in a while.

DaveyCustom
29-03-2016, 11:14 AM
I ate the whole bag....

Dedman
29-03-2016, 11:53 AM
I go through a bag of Ricci aussie made soft licorice every week. it's97% fat free so it's a good "on-line" snack, you know the kind that is suddenly all gone and you don't remember eating it?

tonyw
29-03-2016, 12:27 PM
Aldi Dominion Natural Licorice is our fav here, as a matter of fact i have a few bits in front of me now :D

I also pig out on their Dark Chocolate yum.

Dedman
29-03-2016, 12:38 PM
Dark choc TimTams! I had to cut down on them however. I gave up cigs 2yrs ago this month and started packing on the weight so I'm rationed

DrNomis_44
29-03-2016, 03:26 PM
I happen to like Licorice and Tim Tams as well, did you know that chocolate has a subtle psychoactive effect on the human brain?

The standard Licorice flavor comes from an ingredient called Aniseed.

wazkelly
29-03-2016, 08:58 PM
Hi Dave, if you're brave and into all things Aussie, have you tried Vegemite yet?

DaveyCustom
29-03-2016, 09:03 PM
Hi Dave, if you're brave and into all things Aussie, have you tried Vegemite yet?
Heard of it in a "Men at Work" song.... lol.

wazkelly
29-03-2016, 09:07 PM
Pretty salty and most Americans who have tried it gag and spit it out. Probably put too much on as only a small scraping on a piece of toast is all you need. Best with some butter too rather than that chemical cocktail called margarine.

Dedman
29-03-2016, 09:12 PM
yup, nearly every American (and Europeans for that matter) that I've seen try Vegimite grab a spoonful or spread it like peanut butter. The faces they pull are worth not warning them about it.;)

DaveyCustom
29-03-2016, 09:13 PM
Pretty salty and most Americans who have tried it gag and spit it out. Probably put too much on as only a small scraping on a piece of toast is all you need. Best with some butter too rather than that chemical cocktail called margarine.
Ill try anything once... lol.

tonyw
30-03-2016, 02:33 AM
I love Vegemite on toast with real butter, non of that chemical concoction around here :D

I worked on the wharfs in Port Melbourne up until last year, and if i was going in to start at say 2am, you could smell the vegemite in the air from the factory in Port Melbourne.

andrewdosborne
30-03-2016, 05:19 AM
Yep has to be real butter. I've recently been put on a very low fat diet by the Doc. 'You must change to margarine it's lower fat'. No I replied, l'll just use 50% less butter, then it's lower fat with the same taste!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Fretworn
30-03-2016, 10:03 AM
https://shop.countdown.co.nz/Content/ProductImages/large/9310881980157.jpg/Darrell-Lea-Bb-s-Chocolate-Bigger-Better-Mint-Balls.jpg

These things are the chocolate equivalent to crack. Once you've had one you won't be able to pass them in the store without buying them.

DaveyCustom
30-03-2016, 10:15 AM
https://shop.countdown.co.nz/Content/ProductImages/large/9310881980157.jpg/Darrell-Lea-Bb-s-Chocolate-Bigger-Better-Mint-Balls.jpg

These things are the chocolate equivalent to crack. Once you've had one you won't be able to pass them in the store without buying them.
Ooooh... those sound amazing

FrankenWashie
30-03-2016, 02:00 PM
I love Vegemite on toast with real butter, non of that chemical concoction around here :D

I worked on the wharfs in Port Melbourne up until last year, and if i was going in to start at say 2am, you could smell the vegemite in the air from the factory in Port Melbourne.

Multigrain toast, butter, nice schmeer of Vegemite and a slice of sharp bitey tasty cheese on top....NOM NOM NOM!!!

wokkaboy
30-03-2016, 02:09 PM
crikey I can't read this thread anymore, it's making me hungry and only had lunch not that long ago

tonyw
30-03-2016, 02:15 PM
Yep Vegemite and cheese on toast gotta be a real vintage cheese, i even wack em under the gorilla sometimes.

wokkaboy
30-03-2016, 02:19 PM
stop it Tony, my stomach is rumbling !

DrNomis_44
30-03-2016, 05:55 PM
Then there's Peanut Butter, always good in sandwiches, one of my favorite sandwich-fillers is something called Nutella, it is basically a Chocolate-like spread that's made from Hazelnuts.

wazkelly
30-03-2016, 07:08 PM
Geez, we sure have moved a long way away from Soft Eating Liquorice topic but all good as we have been promoting Aussie products and Aussie companies. It was not so long ago that Darrel Lea was in financial strife and closed many stores with someone buying them to still keep it Aussie owned. Unlike Vegemite which is owned by Kraft with headquarters in Chicago. Here is a link to Darrel Lea's local website.

http://www.dlea.com.au/

DaveyCustom
30-03-2016, 07:16 PM
I was gonna say, I thought that Vegemite was owned by Kraft.. lol

dave.king1
30-03-2016, 07:23 PM
A couple of lifetime ago some of my staff rewired all of the telephone wiring at the Darrell Lea factory at Kogarah.

The job took quite a bit longer than expected as did the rewire at the old Waverley Brewery.

Chocolate, liquorice and beer. Damn life was easier in the early 80s

The work at Long Bay jail wasn't anywhere near as much fun.

wazkelly
30-03-2016, 07:41 PM
A couple of lifetime ago some of my staff rewired all of the telephone wiring at the Darrell Lea factory at Kogarah.

The job took quite a bit longer than expected as did the rewire at the old Waverley Brewery.

Chocolate, liquorice and beer. Damn life was easier in the early 80s

The work at Long Bay jail wasn't anywhere near as much fun.

What, surely the crims had something to trade or offer, smokes perhaps or maybe something harder?

DaveyCustom
30-03-2016, 07:42 PM
Lol.. some nice toilet-tank liquor...

DrNomis_44
30-03-2016, 07:45 PM
Didn't Dick Smith (former owner of Dick Smith Electronics) offer Vegemite as one of his Supermarket products, along with Peanut Butter?

wazkelly
30-03-2016, 07:48 PM
Dick had to call it Aussie Mite to get around copyright issues. Can't remember what his peanut butter was called but if memory serves me well I think a lot of his product lines were re-packaged smaller Aussie manufacturers goods using his name to lift the overall profile and concept of buying local.

DrNomis_44
30-03-2016, 07:57 PM
Dick had to call it Aussie Mite to get around copyright issues. Can't remember what his peanut butter was called but if memory serves me well I think a lot of his product lines were re-packaged smaller Aussie manufacturers goods using his name to lift the overall profile and concept of buying local.

Thought so, I think Dick Smith's forte is knowing his niche-markets, personally I'm all for supporting buying local and supporting Aussie Businesses, one of the reasons I joined the PBG Forum was because I found out Pitbull Guitars is an Australian business and I wanted to show my support.

tonyw
31-03-2016, 02:11 AM
Its was called Dick Mite

I dont mind pro mite thats a taste of its own

DaveyCustom
31-03-2016, 02:12 AM
Its was called Dick Mite

I dont mind pro mite thats a taste of its own
Not sure I could eat something called Dick Mite"

tonyw
31-03-2016, 02:18 AM
Not as bad as Dick Butter they tell me :rolleyes:

All Dick Smiths products were over priced, i tried to use them, his (insert Dick if applicable) jam was terrible.

My wife started putting Dick in front of all his products, i guess it caught on :p

DaveyCustom
31-03-2016, 02:22 AM
Not as bad as Dick Butter they tell me :rolleyes:

All Dick Smiths products were over priced, i tried to use them, his (insert Dick if applicable) jam was terrible.

My wife started putting Dick in front of all his products, i guess it caught on :p
Im not sure what's worse, Dick Butter, or Dick Jam.. lol

dave.king1
31-03-2016, 06:40 AM
What, surely the crims had something to trade or offer, smokes perhaps or maybe something harder?

We didn't go anywhere near the crims at Long Bay, however

My band played at Parramatta Jail a couple of times where we did mix with the crims for coffee and scones after the show, they were a mixed bunch of murderers and armed robbers all doing serious time.

Those shows were a lot of fun and the audience were obviously appreciative of anything that broke their normal daily boredom, and we gave the crims ciggies

We also played Parramatta Girls Home, there were serious barricades between the audience and the stage and there was no way the inmates were going to be allowed anywhere near the performers at any time. ( the word rape was mentioned by the guards )

wazkelly
31-03-2016, 08:08 PM
Sounds like a good experience there Dave.

Never played in a jail to the crims but would playing at a few bikers gigs almost count? Only difference was that they were not behind any bars at the time haha.

Seriously, had a scary moment at the 3rd and last one we played as they refused to pay us at the end of the night and said 'you keep playing until we tell you to stop'......had the flu at the time and I was really struggling and that is when all the free offers of other than Doc Nomis' flu remedies consisting of mainly white powder spread in thin lines across the space invaders machine came out, none of which I touched. We went back on and dialled it down a bit to put them to sleep and when they all did doze off we quietly packed up and took off. The agent copped plenty on the Monday morning and to his credit came up with the funds. We actually did do one more as a support act for another bunch of bikers and sensibly took off right after we had finished our 2nd set. Other band members hung around and the shenanigans got right proper out of hand not long after I left with my girlfriend.

dave.king1
01-04-2016, 06:12 AM
Sounds like a good experience there Dave.

Never played in a jail to the crims but would playing at a few bikers gigs almost count? Only difference was that they were not behind any bars at the time haha.

None of the crims were behind bars, at the men's jail we were on a stage about a foot high and could literally touch the front row of the audience.

At the girl's home the stage was about shoulder high and they had cafeteria chairs thrown in a jumbled heap about 10 feet wide right across the room, sort of like a tank trap for humans, they were deadly serious about keeping the girls away from the male performers.

Both jail experiences were brilliant.

We also played at a bikers pub in Oxford Square before that part of Sydney became LGBT and had a pub full of Gypsy Jokers at the Tropicana one night. Oxford Square show was very friendly but the other one got very violent at the end of the night but only amongst themselves. ( we were paid by the pub not the bikers )

The Tropicana pub at Wilberforce is/was a water skiers drinking hole and we did every second Sunday there for a couple of years, the skiers were a great crowd always full of adrenaline after a day on the water so it really went off

DaveyCustom
01-04-2016, 06:13 AM
None of the crims were behind bars, at the men's jail we were on a stage about a foot high and could literally touch the front row of the audience.

At the girl's home the stage was about shoulder high and they had cafeteria chairs thrown in a jumbled heap about 10 feet wide right across the room, sort of like a tank trap for humans, they were deadly serious about keeping the girls away from the male performers.

We also played at a bikers pub in Oxford Square before that part of Sydney became LGBT and had a pub full of Gypsy Jokers at the Tropicana one night. Oxford Square show was very friendly but the other one got very violent at the end of the night but only amongst themselves. ( we were paid by the pub not the bikers )

The Tropicana pub at Wilberforce is/was a water skiers drinking hole and we did every second Sunday there for a couple of years, the skiers were a great crowd always full of adrenaline after a day on the water so it really went off
Biker shows are always interesting! Lol

FrankenWashie
01-04-2016, 06:53 AM

Hearing stuff like this is one of the reasons I love this forum! All of the guitar luthiery skills and tips stuff is brilliant, don't get me wrong, but the stories and experiences shared of lives lived around music is truly amazing. Thanks for sharing guys!

dave.king1
01-04-2016, 09:10 AM
Hearing stuff like this is one of the reasons I love this forum! All of the guitar luthiery skills and tips stuff is brilliant, don't get me wrong, but the stories and experiences shared of lives lived around music is truly amazing. Thanks for sharing guys!

Maybe I should share the story of the night the band played at the Kiata Country Club (google is your friend) or the cruise in 1974 with 250 or so female hairdressers on a 10 day floating conference.

Looking back I guess I had a lot of interesting times and great experiences, amazing at what in life being a very average musician can bring you