PDA

View Full Version : How to tell which pickup is the neck and which is the bridge...

Brendan
27-03-2016, 03:46 PM
Quick post - we've had the odd question about which is the bridge / neck pickup. For most kits, the easiest way to work out which is which is the length of the wires. Given the extra length that the wire needs to run to get to the cavity from the neck, the neck pickup generally has a longer wire. Here the pickups from my SGB-34, the one with the yellow wire is the neck, red bridge.

wokkaboy
27-03-2016, 03:51 PM
good method Bman, most kits the neck pup wire is yellow and bridge pup red but don't rely on this, I've seen the colours reversed. Generally work on longest wire for neck pup as Bman points out.

Brendan
27-03-2016, 03:51 PM
The exception to this is the Jazz bass - the neck pickup is slightly smaller than the bridge - a couple of mm difference between them both.

wokkaboy
27-03-2016, 03:53 PM
nice looking JB Bman ! Entwistle upgrades. This model you can see the control plate is between the pups hence wire lengths being similar

Brendan
27-03-2016, 05:47 PM
Stoked about the Entwistles. Just need to do the neck then I can put it together. Nice tasty Ash...

fender3x
30-03-2016, 07:00 AM
I
You'll correct me if this is not true...but I think most kits have pickups that are the same in output. If you have a set with a bridge and neck that are matched you can tell which is which with an ohm meter. The bridge will have higher impedence.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk