PDA

View Full Version : First steps - i.e., what to do when you first open the box

Brendan
27-03-2016, 02:34 PM
So - you're first kit has arrived and you want to get straight into things 'eh?

Then you turn to the instructions and it says to do a mock build and check everything's there?

Not sure what to do?

Hopefully this will give some tips on what I do... I'll step through what I do with an SGB-34 kit - one of the new kits this March (2016).

So #1 - crack open the box - have a look around - check that the box hasn't been damaged in transit and damaged any of the parts. The boxes are pretty robust and won't be shipped damaged, but, things happen.

#2 - Check the obvious things about the kit are right - you've got a body and neck and you've got all the parts. You should have the right number of pickups, tuners, a bridge, scratchplate, control cavity covers (where part of the kit), etc. Check the description if you are not sure. It's rare that there is anything missing - but best to check things out early.

#3 - Give the tuners a crank, check the bridge is doing it's thing, switches click, etc. You don't need to be too involved here - we're looking for anything obvious.

Brendan
27-03-2016, 02:45 PM
#4 - Do a mock build - this means do a dry run of putting it together - don't glue, screw, etc., just yet, but it does help to make sure you have the right number of bits. It also helps to get a rough idea on what the kit will look like. Now's a great time to take a photo and start a build diary here: http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56. Feel free to post as often as you want / need - it's a great place to put any questions / problems you have. Given the number of contributors to the forum, you're likely to get an answer pretty quickly.

Brendan
27-03-2016, 02:52 PM
#5 - Have a close look at the body. You're looking for any major, show stopper problems and also getting an idea on any minor blemishes that will need to be cleaned up as part of the build process. The body on the SGB-34 is pretty clean (see the photos) - nicely done in the factory. No major issues, but I did notice a small dent - this will easily be cleaned up when I'm sanding it. I also noticed as part of the mock build that the cavity behind the switch has a bit too much "meat" so there is not much by way of thread to hold onto - I'd like a touch more, so will need to sand out the cavity around the switch as well - minor issues and all part of the joy of working with wood.

Brendan
27-03-2016, 03:14 PM
#6 - Check the neck. What I'm looking for is again any showstopping damage to the neck - cracks / holes or anything like that. Very rare, but easier to sort out in the early stages. Other things to do is check for any twists in the neck - this is a showstopper as they can't easily be fixed. Note that the nut can look a little off centre as there will be more meat below the thicker strings than the thinner strings, so it's perfectly normal.

Necks can display some bow up or down - where the neck is not level along its length - this is relatively easy to fix and will be part of the build process, so don't worry if the neck is showing some bow.

This neck is looking fine, so it's off to the next step.

Brendan
27-03-2016, 03:18 PM
#7 - Wipe down the body with a damp rag - here I am checking for any major glue overruns. Some glue spots can be removed with a wire brush - but its important to deal with it before any staining. Glue spots won't take stain and it can be difficult to fix once you've started staining. When wiping the body down - just use water - petroleum based products can damage the wood, so are best left alone.

From here - I start working on how I am going to finish the guitar - often the hardest part of the process - trying to work out what colour and finish to go for!

If I've missed anything you do up front to your builds, post here - let's get everything in one place for new builders.

Brendan
27-03-2016, 05:46 PM
Forgot to add - if you think something's missing or wrong - drop a line to adamboyle at Pitbullguitars dot com or post to the forum... You should be able to get some advice quickly on what to do next or how to work through the issue if it's do able.