PDA

View Full Version : taking the cover off humbuckers and put on another pair...?

Muzza
26-03-2016, 10:01 PM
I've got some upgraded Humbuckers that look like this...

And I've got some el-cheapo kit pups that look like this...

Is it possible to remove the gold covers from the cheapies and put them on the Toneriders?

fender3x
26-03-2016, 11:36 PM
It may be. If the spacing and screw size are the same the degree of difficulty goes down.

Check the width, length and depth to see if the TR's will fit in the gold overs.

If all that checks out you'll need to break open the covers, and take out the old pup. May need to heat it a little if waxed.

When you put in the new one you need to check to see if it needs a spacer (usually wood) between the bottom of the pup and the base plate of the covers.

Of course this is a lot of trouble to go to if TR will sell you gold covers that will fit... ;-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Gavin1393
27-03-2016, 12:02 AM
can be a bit more complicated than it looks....watch out for burnt fingers....especially when soldering and unsoldering the pickup covers to and from the base.

fender3x
27-03-2016, 12:31 AM
Good advice. I broke mine open with a utility knife. But in this case de-soldering and maybe even removing solder with some soldering wick might be a better option.

tonyw
27-03-2016, 03:48 AM
Good chance the kit pups wont fit but you can only try.

Theres a recent tutorial i put up on how to do it for Andy40, this was for changing out magnets but it shows how to crack the cover.

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=5441&highlight=magnets

Just gently rock back and forward with the blade and it will pop.

Muzza
04-04-2016, 09:18 PM
Well, well, well...
I couldn't de-solder them as my soldering iron couldn't get hot enough, so I just snipped the 2 soldered bits with side cutters and they slid off with a minimum of fuss.

The poles on the Wilkinson were too far apart, but the Toneriders seemed to line up pretty well. In fact, they fit perfectly!

The cover in front shows the tiny dobs of solder. I'll have to find my 40watt iron to re-solder them on. The 25 watter just doesn't cut it.

fender3x
04-04-2016, 11:20 PM
Going to look very cool

wazkelly
05-04-2016, 07:39 PM
Hi Muzza, what are you going to do about the gold screws from the donor PUP's as the Tone Riders appear to have a nickel finish and may look a bit out of place with Gold covers, or maybe they may just add a bit of unique character perhaps?

Muzza
05-04-2016, 08:31 PM
The silver screws don't really bother me Waz. They're not THAT obvious, and I haven't 100% decided to go with the gold covers yet. It's just another option for now.

wazkelly
05-04-2016, 08:46 PM
Cheers Muzza, they would have been OK. Just my OCD side rising to the surface.

Looks like you are using the same PUP's as I will be installing in the EX-1 probably later this week. Are you planning any funky wiring with all that 4 conductor stuff or just standard. I bought a couple of DPDT push pull pots and was going to do series/parallel on one and coil split on the other but will now just do the coils split as it is simpler and the series parallel sounds aren't so great as I found out on my Son's hot rodded strat.

Muzza
05-04-2016, 08:59 PM
Just doing coil split on both. Trying to emulate the electronics on my Maton BB1200.

wazkelly
06-04-2016, 07:58 PM
Yeah, me too as it will keeps things much simpler. Are you using push pulls or separate mini switches to split the coils?

Muzza
06-04-2016, 08:47 PM
Bournes push/pulls.

3 way switch, 2 volumes and one tone.