PDA

View Full Version : Something new!

adam
21-03-2016, 09:56 PM
I'm quite proud of this one, the factory did an excellent job getting all the details right.

The TL-51 (http://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/guitars/pit-bull-guitars-tl-51-ash-body-electric-guitar-kit/)

adam
21-03-2016, 10:00 PM
Yes, yes, the "Ashtray" is the wrong shape, but as you are going to literally use it as an ashtray it is redundant.

The cheapest "authentic" bridge covers I could find online were around $50, which would have put the kit over the $300 mark, for something that few of you would actually install (unless you just wanted to hang it on a wall and never play it).

DrNomis_44
22-03-2016, 03:46 AM
Looks great, I might buy one of these for my next kit build.

stan
22-03-2016, 05:21 AM
ohhh, nice

Bass Guy
22-03-2016, 08:31 AM
Yummy! Well done to the factory folks!

Fretworn
22-03-2016, 10:04 AM
http://sebastiankruger.org/images/Albert%20Collins.jpg

So who is going to be first to make an Albert Collins tribute? Hmmmm!

andrewdosborne
22-03-2016, 10:09 AM
Something else to add fuel to GAS ☺️

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

wokkaboy
22-03-2016, 10:22 AM
nice looking kit Ads, better make sure the bridge has the 6 string through holes pre-drilled ? There isn't a close up photo of the bridge on the PBG site

tonyw
22-03-2016, 10:43 AM
The string holes look like they are drilled, but the bridge mounting holes arnt?.

Heres my 51 to exact blackguard spec body, right down to the finest detail, this gives you an idea of where the bridge should sit.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w38/my04tone/specte_zpsbpmfbsmt.jpg

We had a 51 blackguard in my mates shop over 10years ago now, and we started carving out bodies using it as a template,everything was matched perfect to the finest detail, we made 1 body each for 4 of us.

Not sure wether to make this into a tele or an Esquire, will be neat when its finished which ever way i go.

The Iceman played a 61 telecaster with a standard HB in the neck, probably a PAF, but i dont think anyone knows for sure.
The only thing he ever had changed on this guitar was the binding and used a rotted out old capo full of electric tape anywhere from the 7th fret up.

This kit Adam has opens itself to a nice mini HB in the neck or make it a stock tele or an Esquire with some severe wiring mods, you could really go to town on it.

I would like to see a tele with a swimming pool route, then you could go to town on it.

gavinturner
22-03-2016, 10:47 AM
Looks great Ads. Yet another TL for me to build. Added to the list!

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
22-03-2016, 11:14 AM
Hi Tony, yes the string through holes on the body are clearly drilled, my question was are the matching holes drilled in the bridge plate. Zooming into the photo it looks like they may be but hard to tell

tonyw
22-03-2016, 11:29 AM
Looks like the bridge plate has the holes x3 forward of the string through on a flat plate but they arn't drilled into the body from what i can see.

Also dont know if you could get a rolled vintage plate to fit, but you could always change out the saddles.

wokkaboy
22-03-2016, 11:31 AM
yeah Tony, have to wait for Ads to maybe post a photo of the bridge. If the holes in the plate for the string through are pre-drilled then the bridge position will be fixed. Sometimes the factory brings out new models and there are small issues

nDR01d
22-03-2016, 02:00 PM
String-through Tele? YES PLEASE!
:cool:

DrNomis_44
22-03-2016, 02:42 PM
If I end up buying one of these new Tele kits I'm going to go with a TV yellow finish and just build it as a standard Telecaster, after playing my mate's Telecaster I've found myself really wanting one so I can get that Tele "Twang", apparently Jimmy Page played a Telecaster on the first Led Zeppelin album, also, Syd Barrett played one on Pink Floyd's first album,Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, or something like that, Syd Barrett is definitely playing a Telecaster on the instrumental track, Interstellar Overdrive.

Note:

After having a good look at the chrome bridge cover, I reckon that the shape of it is close-enough-for-government-work, considering that I personally feel that it doesn't have to be super accurate just to get that early Telecaster vibe, it's good enough for me.

tonyw
22-03-2016, 04:55 PM
Twang comes from the tele pickup Doc, the tele pups are a bit of a breed of their own, my fav.
The plate on the bridge pickup will dictate alot about the tone, as will the cover on the neck, then theres the winding, the wire the magnets. I love the sound of the 50/51 43AWG plain enamel neck and bridge, 8000 turns and a tin plate for the bridge pickup, although i do prefer a brass plate introduced late 1951. The pickup changed in late 1951 using 42AWG on the bridge but an extra 1000 winds needed to be added to complement the neck. Lots of history in the tele pickup, i like to slightly under wind my bridge, it gives me that Roy Buchanan snap.

andrewdosborne
22-03-2016, 05:28 PM
Yep there's nothing quite like a good set of Tele pups. Doc, I think Syd Barrett used an Esquire, a slightly different beast. I tried for years to get his early sound thinking it was a Tele! I then discovered the Esquire and the penny dropped. He then later stuck another pick up into it (like Bruce Springsteen)

Interesting read.

http://www.sydbarrettpinkfloyd.com/2012/11/SydBarrettMirroredEsquire.html

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

tonyw
22-03-2016, 05:36 PM
There are also alot of ways to wire a 1 pickup esquire, i have a couple of favorites, the eldred mod is a good one.

DrNomis_44
22-03-2016, 05:40 PM
Twang comes from the tele pickup Doc, the tele pups are a bit of a breed of their own, my fav.
The plate on the bridge pickup will dictate alot about the tone, as will the cover on the neck, then theres the winding, the wire the magnets. I love the sound of the 50/51 43AWG plain enamel neck and bridge, 8000 turns and a tin plate for the bridge pickup, although i do prefer a brass plate introduced late 1951. The pickup changed in late 1951 using 42AWG on the bridge but an extra 1000 winds needed to be added to complement the neck. Lots of history in the tele pickup, i like to slightly under wind my bridge, it gives me that Roy Buchanan snap.

I reckon it's a whole synergy of factors working together as parts of a system that creates the sound of the Telecaster, the woods used, the finish, the windings in the pickups, the magnets, the frets, the nut, even the truss rod, every part of the guitar plays a part in determining the sound of the Tele, even the tuners.

A Telecaster has a fixed bridge system that anchors the string effectively to the body of the guitar, so that has to have some effect on the tone too.

tonyw
22-03-2016, 05:41 PM
Sorry Doc the pickups are where its at for 99% of that tone.

dave.king1
22-03-2016, 06:15 PM
The Tele pup was originally a steel guitar pup and was angled to get the pole pieces in about the right place, the mounting to the hard metal tailpiece / bridge also has a lot to do with the twang factor when using the bridge pickup.

Speaking as someone who has owned a few Tele's over many years and currently has two sitting in a rack beside me as I type

tonyw
22-03-2016, 06:34 PM
Leo didnt care about anything else but pickups and wiring (electronics) and getting the rest of the guitar done as cheap as possible.

To his last days Leo was perfecting pickups, Leo couldnt play, he relied on George Fullerton for feedback.

I have always played Telecasters as my main guitar or a G&L ASAT special for the last 20yrs, but with a few other guitars thrown in along the way, these Telecaster instruments have always been my fav guitars.

All my life i have had an interest in guitar pickups, picking them to shreds, and peoples brains, it wasnt until i finally stopped playing that i decided to use my knowledge and wind my own pickups. I am more interested these days in winding a Broadcaster bridge 100 different ways than playing.

tonyw
22-03-2016, 07:01 PM
Here's a 51 body for sale on Ebay, if you got a lazy $12500 US, i think i will stick with mine...

adam
22-03-2016, 08:22 PM
Hey guys, yes, it does have the correct, string through bridge, I just didn't have time to photograph every part separately. I'll get Mark to reshoot when he's back next week.

I'm really happy with how this kit turned out, I still can't believe they got all (as far as I can tell) of the specs right.

The Kluson tuners are really nice too. I might add those to the site as a separate product.

Dedman
22-03-2016, 08:49 PM
except for the string through, that's exactly what I'm building atm right down to the tuners and ahstray

wokkaboy
23-03-2016, 08:51 AM
good stuff Ads sounds like the factory has done well with this model