PDA

View Full Version : Irish ancestors in Australia.... huh?

DaveyCustom
20-03-2016, 06:55 AM
So, Ive been doing some ancestoral research, trying to get some military service records on my grandfather, who was seriously wounded in WW2, as well as his brother who was KIA in Belgium. I visited Ancestry.com and started building a family tree. I knew that my Great Grandparents had come over in the late 1800's from Ireland. Their trail was easy once they arrived in the States because the family had the same house until fairly recently. Once I tracked back to Ireland, it got sketchy because there are like 4 names that repeat through the generations. Very confusing at best.. Fast forward 3 months... I got an email from 2 cousins who are also researching and came across my family tree. They are descendants of my great grandfather's brother! They have the tree traced way back in Ireland! Exciting! Ive now seen pictures of my Great Grandfather! Also, I still have family, in Ireland, working family land thats been in the family FOREVER... Crazy. Why am I mentioning this here? Well, it turns out that all but 1 of my 2nd Great Grandfather's siblings kids (or something crazy like that), went to Australia to live. I have Irish relatives in Australia! Its actually blowing my mind.... Ill be getting some more information soon... anybody know any Murtagh's? Lol

Dave

tonyw
20-03-2016, 07:37 AM
Mine are about 90% Cornish and 10% Scot miners down my mums side, all turned up in 1848 looking for gold, me dah was a Welshman, no wonder i like to dig holes, also my grandad on dads side owned a pub in the U.K. The Scots clan that were out here originated in Ireland in the 1500's, no wonder i like a drink and music :D

DaveyCustom
20-03-2016, 07:43 AM
Lol.. I agree 100% with the drink and music... I'm much more likely to be in a dark pub drinking a Guinness, listening to 2 dudes with a guitar and fiddle, than at a nightclub dancing! Funny how that works!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

tonyw
20-03-2016, 07:59 AM
Yeh i like the fiddle in music and love stout, alot of fiddle was used in our bush ballads and sea shantys, i also find alot of old harmonica reeds up in the diggings. The Cornish are crazy about their music and beer, just like the Irish, the Welsh are the singers and love beer, they have been brewing for 2000 years, the Scots are well they are the Scots, crazy about everything :D

dingobass
20-03-2016, 08:50 AM
Celtic blood always has Whiskey and music.....
My Fathers side of the fam were from the West Highlands of Scotland. Probably explains the almost un stoppable urge to pick up a tree trunk and throw it at morons that annoy me :p

DrNomis_44
20-03-2016, 11:21 AM
My mum is originally from Nottinghamshire, Robin Hood country, and my dad is originally from Hungary, actually he was from a Hungarian village called Kermond, which is where my family gets it's surname from but the family surname got Anglicized from it's original spelling to Kormendy.

stan
20-03-2016, 11:36 AM
Must be a Scotts / Irish thing going on: mine are from Fifeshire in Scotland and Scotts Irish on mum's side

wazkelly
20-03-2016, 07:24 PM
4th Generation Aussie.

Since my 85 year old Father retired 15 years ago he has got stuck right into genealogy. On my Mum's side there is plenty of Scottish stuff with her being a Cameron however on my Dad's side he has really struggled to figure out much at all. We can rule out Ned Kelly but then Kelly or O'Kelly is as common as back in Ireland and no doubt sort of related to one another somehow.

Shipping records are not as good as they could or should be and the original handwriting makes it hard to read too. Heck, even my wife has gotten bitten by the bug and has started her own family tree searches too.

Wish you luck in tracking down the Murtagh's as there should be less of them than there are Kelly's.

Swanny
20-03-2016, 07:51 PM
I have a book which follows my family tree back to a John Swan arriving in Australia in 1804, from Kent, England. One of his sons accompanied Governor Macquarie to explore the three branches of the Hunter River in 1818, before returning to Newcastle to get married, with Macquarie as a guest. A lot of church records, tombstones, Births/Deaths & Marriages were used to compile the book. I actually met a bloke while working a few months back who lives a few kilometres from me, who is part of the same family tree, but our great grandfathers were brothers.

There are no mention of any Murtagh's in the last 250 years, however.

DaveyCustom
20-03-2016, 09:24 PM
Im waiting for emails today, with more info. Hopefully Ill find out where they are..

DrNomis_44
20-03-2016, 11:44 PM
Im waiting for emails today, with more info. Hopefully Ill find out where they are..

Hope you have some good luck mate.