PDA

View Full Version : Baritones

adam
12-03-2016, 05:01 PM
We've had many enquiries for Baritone scale kits and conversion necks. As regulars will know, we have asked the factory many times and they have always said they can't do them. I assume this is because their routing templates/machines are not set up for this length.

However, I know my contact quite well after all these years, and I think we can turn them around if we can show them there is a market for this scale length.

So... I am hoping this thread can be a "catch all" for your "Baritone Wish List"

1. Baritone scale lengths seem to vary:

"The scale lengths of various baritone designs range from 27" to 30.5", and the string gauges range from the normal .012 - .054" set to sets as thick as .017 - .095"."

What scale length do you prefer? Or do you want this to be completely customisable? Bear in mind Custom Orders add about $150 to the list price of a kit. If we can agree on a Baritone scale length, then we can keep the cost down by ordering in bulk and shipping by sea freight.

2. What kits would you like see offered as Baritone scale?

3. Would you be interested in a Baritone neck conversion (neck only)? If so, what kit (or brand of guitar) would you like to fit one to?

4. Do you want the necks with Rosewood or Maple fretboards, and with or without inlays?

5. Do you want pre-shaped headstocks or "paddle" style ST/TL and LP headstocks?

Thanks in advance for your feedback... all comments will be conveyed to the factory so we can show them the level of interest in this scale length.

dave.king1
12-03-2016, 06:07 PM
Thanks for offering the input Adam.

This is easy, 30" scale, rosewood fretboard, ST or paddle headstock to fit JM ash body without the route for the toggle switch on the upper bout and .25 - .95 strings .

Very easy to convert to a close replica of a Fender VI with the correct pickguard a switch plate for the single throw switches and different knobs.

I feel a divorce coming on :D

dingobass
12-03-2016, 06:12 PM
Wot Dave sed.

I would like to see Maple fretboard with block inlays in Mother of Toilet Seat.

dave.king1
12-03-2016, 06:13 PM
Wot Dave sed.

I would like to see Maple fretboard with block inlays in Mother of Toilet Seat.

You getting a divorce too are you DB ;)

Oh yeah, the block rather than dot inlays are important

Ricardo
13-03-2016, 09:59 AM
Not fussy about scale length or string gauge, blocks or dots, rosewood or maple. as long as it has a paddle/unshaped head and I can bolt it to a Tele style body I'm sold.

gavinturner
14-03-2016, 01:30 PM
Would be very interested in a JM or Tele kit with Baritone neck. I'll leave the tech specs to those that know better.

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
14-03-2016, 01:37 PM
great move Ads, think there will be enough interest in baritone necks for a few kits.
Might be worth trialling bari necks for tele, ST and JM kits.
The bari neck DB gave me is 28.6 inches scale looks like it will work well.
Maybe a rosewood and maple fingerboard option.
I'm easy on scale, if 30" works well as DK suggested then a longer scale is fine.
As long as it will bolt onto one of these kits and be able to intonate it without needing mods to the neck pocket or bridge position, that's my biggest concern

tonyw
14-03-2016, 01:54 PM
I have my Baritone build, and happy with it, but having said that what a sensational sound these instruments are.

My preference would be for a 30" scale, i find my 28-5/8" scale just a little sloppy tuned down an octave, you can tune a 30" down without the slack. , i would like the Fender Bass VI style without the trem.

Thanks in advance :D

Dedman
14-03-2016, 04:02 PM
Would be very interested in a JM or Tele kit with Baritone neck. I'll leave the tech specs to those that know better.

cheers,
Gav.

Ditto,I love the sound but don't have the experience to make decisions

FrankenWashie
14-03-2016, 04:18 PM
If we are doing conversion necks then can we do an unshaped head, neck conversion on 28" or 30" scale for the IB? Rosewood or Ebony fretboard with MOPA (Mother of Pearl Approximate) dot markers?

dave.king1
14-03-2016, 07:06 PM
I have my Baritone build, and happy with it, but having said that what a sensational sound these instruments are.

My preference would be for a 30" scale, i find my 28-5/8" scale just a little sloppy tuned down an octave, you can tune a 30" down without the slack. , i would like the Fender Bass VI style without the trem.

Thanks in advance :D

That is a pic of my long lost lover, a Fender VI Series 2 as indicated by the bass strangle switch ( furthest from the neck of the four switches ) probably late 1965.

Nurse I need my medication now please :)

pilotcp
14-03-2016, 09:35 PM
We've had many enquiries for Baritone scale kits and conversion necks. As regulars will know, we have asked the factory many times and they have always said they can't do them. I assume this is because their routing templates/machines are not set up for this length.

However, I know my contact quite well after all these years, and I think we can turn them around if we can show them there is a market for this scale length.

So... I am hoping this thread can be a "catch all" for your "Baritone Wish List"

1. Baritone scale lengths seem to vary:

[COLOR=#252525][FONT=sans-serif]"The scale lengths of various baritone designs range from 27" to 30.5", and the string gauges range from the normal .012 - .054" set to sets as thick as .017 - .095"."

What scale length do you prefer? Or do you want this to be completely customisable? Bear in mind Custom Orders add about $150 to the list price of a kit. If we can agree on a Baritone scale length, then we can keep the cost down by ordering in bulk and shipping by sea freight.

30" scale for me!

2. What kits would you like see offered as Baritone scale?
FM-1M, the FS-1G, and the TLD-1TP

3. Would you be interested in a Baritone neck conversion (neck only)? If so, what kit (or brand of guitar) would you like to fit one to?
FM-1M, the FS-1G, and the TLD-1TP!
other than that, I'd live to retrofit a jazzmaster with a 30" neck too!

4. Do you want the necks with Rosewood or Maple fretboards, and with or without inlays?
prefer rosewood with block inlays, but dots are ok too

5. Do you want pre-shaped headstocks or "paddle" style ST/TL and LP headstocks?
pre-shaped

tonyw
15-03-2016, 03:22 AM
That is a pic of my long lost lover, a Fender VI Series 2 as indicated by the bass strangle switch ( furthest from the neck of the four switches ) probably late 1965.

Nurse I need my medication now please :)

Gen2 was my fav as well, feel in love with the Baritone when i saw Jack Bruce with one.

I built myself one because i had been playing 2 piece with a drummer for so long i was wanting to add some extra depth.

Dedman
15-03-2016, 06:56 AM
After doing some research I'd pretty happy with any body and a neck that could be tuned to the standard E tuning, I'd prefer a tremlo

tonyw
15-03-2016, 07:19 AM
After doing some research I'd pretty happy with any body and a neck that could be tuned to the standard E tuning, I'd prefer a tremlo

Curious as to why you would tune a baritone to standard E?

Dedman
15-03-2016, 08:16 AM
because I haven't had enough coffee yet. Late night, early morning. Ignore me

dingobass
15-03-2016, 09:16 AM

I know the feeling oh so well....

tonyw
15-03-2016, 09:29 AM

I can relate to that..

Dedman
15-03-2016, 09:37 AM
It's the Ghost of Lemmy's fault. I started reading 'White Line Fever" and couldn't put it down

adam
17-03-2016, 02:44 PM
**UPDATE**

Ok, the factory will do these for us @ 30".

I will order a few kits and some separate necks for delivery around July.

I'd prefer to limit the kits to two models at this stage and the TLA-1 and JMA-1 (both Ash) seem the most popular candidates. Other kits can be custom ordered or added later if there's demand.

I'm afraid they don't have access to the Bass VI shape, I have already asked.

So, apart from the scale (30"), do other specs need to change? Can they still use the standard nut width (42mm) and C Profile? Bear in mind if we want to change this, it will significantly increase the cost.

I will order with blank paddle headstocks with no tuner holes drilled.

We'll need to decide on inlays, if any. Probably be easier with dots, as block inlays can be installed if the customer prefers blocks. You can't do blocks to dots though.

Any other specs we need to give them?

wokkaboy
17-03-2016, 02:49 PM
Hi Ads,great news,
my main concern is that distance nut to 12th fret will be roughly half the scale length to the bridge saddles so it will be able to be intonated. Sure they have enough brains to check that it will work.
Should be ok to leave the nut width 42mm. I'd recommend dot markers so they can be changed to block marker if the builder wants to do that.
I think tuner holes might as well be drilled like a standard paddle. You really need a drill press to do that properly which may be out of reach of alot of builders.

Keep up the good work Ads !

dingobass
17-03-2016, 02:49 PM
Nut width is good at 42mm.

Need to be mindfull that if the seperate necks are designed to be conversions, the scale length is different.

So, either 647mm 25 1/2" or 727mm 28 5/8"...

tonyw
17-03-2016, 03:31 PM
It would be a JMA1 if i were to do one, but i have plans for another project well before that.

Scale length on my baritone is 14.25" to the 12th and 14.25" to the bridge + a touch +or- either way so your 30" is going to be 15" and 15"

dave.king1
18-03-2016, 04:50 AM
Great news Adam, time to start putting the pennies away.

As Woks mentioned a pre drilled paddle will have wider appeal as not all have the necessary tools or the skills of Robin to knock a guitar out with nothing but a bit of sharp seashell to do the shaping

dave.king1
21-03-2016, 06:37 AM
Here's a link to a mob that sell a template for the VI body

http://www.ponoko.com/design-your-own/products/bass-roku-5552

I think I have seen drawings with all the dimensions somewhere as well, will keep looking

Here's a pic of a Jag and VI side by side, there are some pretty obvious differences in the body

dave.king1
21-03-2016, 06:53 AM
And a build thread here

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25333

tonyw
21-03-2016, 08:59 AM
And a build thread here

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25333

I used to shoot emails back and forwards to this guy, he used to offer me his guitars to take to gigs, a very good builder.

Ricardo
18-06-2016, 07:51 AM
I was reading on this thread that there was a possible delivery date around July, do you have any further information yet?
Any ideas on what the price will be?

It just so happens my birthday is in July and my wife is asking me if there is anything I want for it, coincidence? I don't think so.

Please PBG, make all my birthday wishes come true.

bodders
03-08-2016, 10:02 AM
i'd be up for a kit or just a baritone neck conversion for my next project ...

wokkaboy
03-08-2016, 10:10 AM
Hi Bodders, I noticed you have been a member since December 2012 same as me, where have you been hiding for over 3.5 years ?

bodders
03-08-2016, 10:40 AM
I'm a bit slow mate - got my LP DC kit ages ago but only just getting around to it. Looking at a Johnny Thunders replica build which means I have to make it nice then wreck it - LOL

wokkaboy
03-08-2016, 10:42 AM
haha no worries Bodders, glad you are finally working on the build ! Please start a build diary we are all interested to see progress.
Is your updated avatar pic how it will look ?

nDR01d
27-03-2017, 04:43 PM
Just wanted to give this thread a bump before it goes zombie. What happened to the guitars? Is there still talk of a baritone kit or just a neck upgrade? I'm curious 'cause I don't want to pay $400 (inc. P&H) for a Warmoth 28 and a bit inch neck. :cool: