PDA

View Full Version : Pull-pot coil tap wiring for TL-1

Bass Guy
11-03-2016, 02:49 PM
Hey folks,

I have a Tele project ready for wiring, but I'm going to get some Barden-style pickups for it which are humbuckers in a single coil shape. They will have the ability to be tappable which should make it a very versatile axe. Anyone have any info, diagrams, advice etc for this sort of thing?

This will be a present for our guitarist in Magnolia Jones - he's turned into a Tele nutter. 😊😊

wokkaboy
11-03-2016, 02:52 PM
Hey Bass Guy, welcome back to the forum good to see you chime in now and then.

Need a bit more info, will the bridge pup be coil splittable or the neck and bridge pup ?

Presume it's the bridge pup only.

sure Weirdy has posted many options on a thread before, have a gander in this section wiring pickups. Think I found a thread about 5 or 6 different tele wiring layouts on the weekend

Bass Guy
11-03-2016, 02:53 PM
These are the pups I'm considering

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Calibrated-Pickup-Set-Hot-Lead-Lil-Puncher-XL-Import-Telecaster_p_149.html

wokkaboy
11-03-2016, 02:55 PM
ok so looks like you will be splitting neck and bridge pups.

You will have to work out whether you want one push pull pot to split both pups - volume or neck pot

Or you could split each separately so maybe volume splits neck pup and tone splits bridge pup.

Have fun with the wiring !

Bass Guy
11-03-2016, 02:57 PM
Oo fun.... 😮😮😮

wokkaboy
11-03-2016, 03:00 PM
BG there are so many options available. But in my opinion if you have both volume and tone pot being push pull you can have neck and bridge pups splittable independantly in case the player wants to go with full humbucker straight to split neck or whatever other combination

dingobass
11-03-2016, 03:02 PM
I would avoid GF gear, it isnt any better than than the pups in our kits...

wokkaboy
11-03-2016, 03:07 PM
Hey BG, here is a lengthy thread Weirdy did on different tele wiring

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=3022

have a look at the 3 way with push pulls

Bass Guy
11-03-2016, 03:10 PM
Splendid, chaps! I'll get cracking.

WeirdBits
11-03-2016, 05:18 PM
Some think that the GFS Lil Punchers can be a bit meh when split, not sure about the hot version, but I'd suggest looking over some reviews. As an alternative, instead of splitting them you can switch the coils from series to parallel which keeps some of the oomph but thins them out and adds a bit of clarity. I wired my vintage version Lil' Punchers as series/parallel rather than split. They sound ok and give a good range of sounds... but they're very fussy about pickup height (either too quiet or too boomy) and I've never been entirely satisfied.

If you want a specific wiring layout just shout.

wazkelly
15-03-2016, 07:21 PM
For my 2 cents worth bought similar rail style single coil sized PUP's a couple of years ago that had 4 wires, etc. Used mini DPDT on-on-on switches and could not find any discernible sound difference between split/series/parallel and ended up extracting them and installing Entwistle Darkstars which for the price sound awesome. Acknowledge they are more LP sized PUP's but it proves that there may just be better options out there without reverting to Seymour Duncans or Di Marzios.