PDA

View Full Version : 'Intensifying coat' on black?

Muzza
11-03-2016, 07:40 AM
I'm still not sure what the 'intensifying coat' does. Does it darken the colour? Make it more 3D?

My builds both have black edged bursts - Black Stump and Nullabor Ochre. What benefit does using the Black Stump intensifying coat have on something that's black. Can't really intensify black, can you?

I'm wondering if I can just use the Nullabor Ochre intensifying coat over the whole guitar face when I get to that stage, so I don't have to keep delineating between the BS and NO?

Dedman
11-03-2016, 08:04 AM
"delineating between the BS and NO?" sounds like a conversation with my ex :p

Muzza
11-03-2016, 08:19 AM
Sounds like a conversation with my current...

dingobass
11-03-2016, 09:12 AM
It gives more depth to the finish.
I usually apply three or four coats, then cut it back with 320 grit VERY carefully to flatten out the layer.
Then go in with two or three final coats, let that cure and cut back.
Leave that for a day and apply the last final coat.
Give it 21 days to fully cure and you should be able to get a nice glossy finish

Muzza
11-03-2016, 10:48 AM
But how would it add "more depth" with black? Black is pretty deep... Could I just use the Nullabor Ochre intensifying coat over the whole surface, including the Black Stump?

And I'm after a satin finish.

wokkaboy
11-03-2016, 11:01 AM
Hey Muzza, I wouldn't rub the nullarbor over the black stump, be best to just work it to the blend line.

Are you happy with the depth of black on the edges ? if not keep applying intensifying coat

Muzza
11-03-2016, 11:09 AM
I already 'intensified' the Black Stump by rubbing it off and putting some Feast Watson Proof Tint on first. The Black Stump just wasn't going black, so I gave it a hand.

I'm putting the Black Stump over the F.W, so it will be all DingoTone products immediately under the finish.

So... what WOULD happen if I put the Nullabor Ochre intensifying coat over the Black Stump? Surely it can't make the black go blacker?

wazkelly
15-03-2016, 07:05 PM
Hey Muzza, best to test this sort of stuff out on a scrap bit of timber.

From the Outback Sunset & Coolangatta Gold DT kits I have used there is a lot of colour in those intensifiers and they really bring on a much more vibrant depth to the colour. Afraid that brown over the black will make it go dull. Acknowledge it may create more work using the different colours but should be worth it in the long run.

Muzza
21-03-2016, 09:47 PM
Good advice Wazkelly. I made a test burst on a bit of scrap pine and tried using the ochre intensifier over the lot, and it gave the black a distinct brown tint.

Oh well, no shortcut available there...

And the Black Stump intensifier definitely intensified the Black Stump base coat. It looks so good, I'm now thinking of maybe going for a gloss finish on the body instead of satin.