PDA

View Full Version : Help with my headstock

MichaelLouie
29-02-2016, 07:47 AM
Need a little help , it appears my headstock tuner holes are not inline with each other / looks like crap when the hardware is fitted up / what is the answer to this please.:confused:

stan
29-02-2016, 07:52 AM
not an uncommon issue mate.
usual fix is to glue in some dowels, fill any irregularities, sand flat and redrill the holes.
Pain in the butt, but that's how it's done.

pablopepper
29-02-2016, 07:54 AM
You could plug up the holes/misaligned hole and redrill. Some folk have done it and then covered the headstock with veneer to hide the repair. Or, depending how out they are, just leave it. Most of these kits seem to have at least one hole out of whack, and a majority of the time they are unnoticeable when the guitar is all together.

MichaelLouie
29-02-2016, 07:58 AM
thanks guys , might just leave it or file hole out a little and get it nearer to the others / very quick response thanks

wokkaboy
29-02-2016, 08:06 AM
Hi Michael, if the misalignment bothers you that much would be worth plugging and re-drilling the holes, its not that difficult and a good skill to learn
I couldn't zoom on the image but looks a bit out of alignment

Muzza
29-02-2016, 09:16 AM
I bought me one of these sets for exactly this reason.

wokkaboy
29-02-2016, 09:31 AM
nice one Muzza, what are the PBG tuner holes, does a 10mm plug fit ?

At least you can use the offcuts from the shaping of the headstock.

DB has something similar

wazkelly
29-02-2016, 06:27 PM
Looks about right as with most of these kits the tuners never seem to be perfectly aligned.

As others have said before me, once strung up that 1mm to 2mm will be barely noticeable plus it adds character to the overall hand built nature of these kits.

DrNomis_44
08-03-2016, 05:02 AM
I noticed that there were at least two tuner holes misaligned on the headstock of the neck I got in my Strat kit, but the misalignment was barely .5mm or so, so I left things as is since it wasn't a serious enough issue.