PDA

View Full Version : The 5 string bass question - if you WOULD buy one, which one?

Muzza
25-02-2016, 02:55 PM
Sundragon already posted a poll about a 5 string J bass, but admitted he isn't desperate for one, and it really wasn't an OPEN poll as yes or no for for a J bass was pretty much the only option.

I, on the other hand, AM desperate for a 5 string Stingray, and hereby submit a more democratic, wider ranging poll.

wazkelly
25-02-2016, 07:40 PM
Hi Muzza, having just finished assembling my EX-5 late this afternoon not in the market for another 5 stringer however if I was it would be the Stingray as I already have a 4 string J Bass kit yet to be started. Have owned a few P Basses in the past and they are nothing special, just functional at best.

Never had enough coin for a Stingray and if I was to build another Bass it would be on my shopping list ahead of RC4 as all the build threads on those seem to be full of dramas. Actually stashing a bit away each month to see if I can buy a 2nd hand Ric 4003 later in the year as it is just too hard to try and replicate the real deal.

Brendan
29-02-2016, 08:05 PM
I'll see how I go with my IB-5, but I'm leaning towards something a little different - maybe the Stingray, though, then again...

Muzza
13-05-2016, 08:07 PM
Well... You can take me off the 5 string kit guitar list.

I got got me a REAL Stingray 5! Woo hooo!

11239 11240 11241

And it's everything is hoped it would be, and more.

According to the Ernie Ball forums, the serial number dates it to October '02. I don't think the previous owner has ever cleaned or conditioned the fretboard. I also don't think he owned a pair of pliers or wire cutters either. He wound the whole string around the pegs. (Take a look at the B string peg)

wazkelly
13-05-2016, 08:21 PM
Nice one Muzza. How much did that set you back and where did you find it?

Agree about the poor string setup which tends to scream beginner owner perhaps?

Muzza
13-05-2016, 09:11 PM
No. I believe he's a very good musician, but ignorant regarding setup and maintenance.

wazkelly
13-05-2016, 09:21 PM
Just plain lazy as how hard can it be to cut off the excess???

Muzza
13-05-2016, 10:13 PM
Pretty hard if you've only got your teeth. I guess it would be impossible for a Collingwood supporter.