PDA

View Full Version : Oil based finish over water based / water based finish over oil based??? Options?

Muzza
23-02-2016, 01:42 PM
I read somewhere that you can apply one over the other, but not the other way around.

Can I put DingoTone base coat (or intensifier) over an oil based stain? I like the colour that the oil based 'Jarrah' stain has given me, but it hasn't got the depth and intensity that DT 'Nullabor Ochre' has.

I'm thinking of applying a few coats of NO over it to give it some depth if that's possible?

Also, on my first (concurrent) build, I've used Dingotone, but the Black Stump isn't black or opaque enough.

If the DT Black Stump MKII isn't dark enough, could I put the oil based black stain over it to black it out? (MKII hasn't arrived yet.)

Then, I'd like to use the intensifier and final coats of DT on both guitar bodies

Again... is it possible?

wazkelly
23-02-2016, 07:36 PM
Hi Muzza, sounds like you need to put on your Dr Frankenstein Lab Coat and start a few experiments on scraps of timber to see what does or does not work.

Tru Oil successfully goes over the top of Dingo Tone and that tends to suggest a light oil based product will work on top of DT. Not sure of the other way around as I think DT would need something to draw it down into the timber otherwise it may just sit on top and take forever to dry and cure as it takes long enough as it is. My guess is DT on top of any oil finish will end in tears.

dingobass
24-02-2016, 07:37 AM
General rule of thumb.
Oil on oil is fine. So DT will adhere to another oil based finish and vice versa. All you need to do is give the finish a light scuff sand with 320 grit.
Oil over waterbased can work if the stain is just a stain and has no "body" so to speak..
You could be courting disaster if you apply any oil based finish over a plastic based one..

Muzza
24-02-2016, 08:31 AM
Duh... Brain-dead moment. For some reason, I had it in my head that DT was water based.

Sorry folks. Move on. Nothing to see here...