PDA

View Full Version : Making a homemade no load pot

tonyw
20-02-2016, 03:12 AM
I like no load pots, they take all the load off your pickup when full on, giving you just your nice clean pickup sound.

Heres how i do it.

Pull the tabs back on the pot

Pull the pot apart, it comes apart easy

Scrape some of the carbon from the left side of the sweeper as marked

Wire into the tone control on your harness your choice which one or all

You can make one for your volume, it will mean at 10 you have no sound at all, i have a mod to get around this but i dont see the point, the low resistance load to the pickup will damp the electrical resonance and result in a lot of treble loss at lower volume setting :cool:

fender3x
20-02-2016, 05:03 AM
Cool mod! Also that is one very tidy wiring harness!

Another easy mod on a CTS pot ;-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

tonyw
20-02-2016, 05:54 AM
I pride my self on my wiring, if it looks a bit rough i hate it, but others dont notice, i sort of had to get over them not being perfect or i would be there a week on 1 harness.

Heres where the harness went, my project strat.

fender3x
20-02-2016, 06:29 AM
Wow, that is really pretty!

Note to self: Don't post pic of your G&L bass harness where Tonyw can see it ;-)

tonyw
20-02-2016, 06:55 AM
Wow, that is really pretty!

Note to self: Don't post pic of your G&L bass harness where Tonyw can see it ;-)

I have had alot and i mean alot of baaaad harnessing on my desk to repair or redo, i have even thrown one in the bin recently that a young bloke had tried his luck on, and destroyed everything.

Its not something you can see, but it can get you alot of inherent problems.

fender3x
20-02-2016, 07:08 AM
True that! I spent a week looking for what turned out to be a bad ground on my G&L.

It's not that it's bad in there, so much as its complex and had to fit twice as much stuff as it was deigned for. Once I got it right it, it looked a bit like a birds nest--but it fit just barely. So I closed the cavity and hoped I would not need to open it for a long time. I color coded all the wires, and have the wiring planned saved, but I pity anyone who might need to make sense of it.

Gives me lots of choices of sounds, but pretty it ain't.

tonyw
20-02-2016, 07:33 AM
I installed the wiring from hell in my Baritone, including a Tonestyler pot 4 way switchetc , took me ages to get it right.

About 2 months ago i ripped it all out and installed a no load tone pot in the bridge, a new 500k pot on the neck and a 3 way switch, made it much less complicated, but i still have pics of all the wiring that went in, just incase i decided to go again.

Preferring simplicity these days, buuut i am working on a tele (carbronita style) with a TV Jones Powertron plus bridge, lets see how may tones i can get out of this unit.

fender3x
20-02-2016, 09:14 AM
There is a similarity in how ny G&L mod got started. I read about humbucking and single coil mods, some models added caps, others left them out... I couldn't decide which I wanted...so I put them all in. If I were to re do it, it would be much simpler. That said, tho, if I had initially gone for something simpler, it would not have course to me put in the settings ended up liking best.

Meanwhile on my Frankenjazz bass, I put in a bunch of switching options only to learn that I didn't like any of the new sounds they produced. If I redo that one it'll be way simpler.

fender3x
20-02-2016, 09:16 AM
That cabronita tele is a beaut, BTW

tonyw
20-02-2016, 09:54 AM
its my next build after this junior turns up i am doing.