PDA

View Full Version : Some handy info about soldering

kimball492
19-02-2016, 11:52 AM
http://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/blogs/news/54222724-the-50-quick-dirty-soldering-setup

wazkelly
20-02-2016, 06:11 PM
Handy advice, particularly for newbies or those with antique equipment that is long over due for an upgrade.

DrNomis_44
20-02-2016, 11:30 PM
Weller are well known in the Electronics Industry as makers of good soldering irons, definitely do not skimp on the quality of this particular item in your tools shopping list, if you buy a cheap soldering iron you'll end up regretting it, been there and done it too.

Other things I could recommend is go to your local Jaycar Electronics shop and buy a couple of rolls of 3mm wide Solder Wick, Solder Wick is basically a length of copper braiding that's specially treated so that it soaks up molten solder rather like how a sponge soaks up water, Solder Wick is handy for removing excess solder from a solder joint, I use Goot brand Solder Wick since it works really well, if you can afford one I would recommend in investing in a good Temperature Controlled soldering station of at least 60 Watts capacity, once you start using one you will notice a big improvement in your solder joints.

Whatever you do, resist the urge to use Plumber's Solder since it has a totally different composition, melting point, and cool-down characteristic to the 60/40 solder that's used in electronics, Plumber's Solder uses an acidic flux that may corrode electronic parts used in guitars, on the other hand 60/40 solder has a specially formulated flux in it, flux is added to 60/40 Solder because when it melts it cleans the metals being soldered together and stops the surface from oxidizing due to heat, ensuring a good solder joint.

You might find that solder on some rolls of solder has a diameter of 1mm, whereas others are .5mm, 1mm solder is fine for making solder joints in guitars.

3mm Goot Solder Wick:

1mm 60/40 Solder:

To remove excess solder using Solder wick, place the Solder Wick on the solder joint and then use the tip of your soldering iron to heat both the Solder and the Solder Wick, the Solder Wick will soak up the solder like a sponge, I find that if you tin the Solder Wick a bit it seems to work even better at removing solder.

stan
22-02-2016, 02:15 AM
Something else to consider from a health point of view is using lead free solder

kimball492
22-02-2016, 03:25 AM
Hi Stan, can't remember who told me but there's more harmful chemicals in the lead free solder than the lead variety. in the link on first post it mentions it. I've also found this Stan. Worth a read. https://www.solderconnection.com/specsheets/Lead-Free_Solder_Fumes_Increase_Need_for_Fume_Extractio n.pdf

tonyw
22-02-2016, 04:24 AM
I always, no matter what i am soldering with, have this little desk fan blowing across the job and away from me.