PDA

View Full Version : Coming soon, Dingotone Mark II

dingobass
06-02-2016, 04:32 PM
After taking on board all the positive and not so positive critiques, DT mk II is almost ready for beta testing.

After many hours of pfaffing around I have managed to get the drying times down to 24hours (applied at an average ambient temp of 30 deg Celcius and average humidity of 40%) using the same application methods as the original formula.

It also looks like there is a higher shine and luster as well, so that should keep the Bower birds among us happy :p
Another early observation is this formula self levels more effectively, so another win for the user.

Onwards and upwards!

FredA
06-02-2016, 04:49 PM
Sounds great DB!
Looking forward to it as I loved DT's natural side and smell, but the extra long drying time and challenges with top coats make other options too tempting...
:-)

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Maddogm
06-02-2016, 04:53 PM
Will there be any issues switching from the old formula to the new on a single project? (if we run out of the old and have to order more)

dingobass
06-02-2016, 04:57 PM
Thanks for asking that question Maddo.
Answer is yes. I have been running tests on some old builds here finished with mkI and no worries with compatibility.

The ingredients are still the same, just the manufacturing process has changed.

dingobass
06-02-2016, 04:59 PM
Oh, and I forgot to mention that there will be more product supplied.
This is to help the occasional case of folk running out of either the stain or intensifying coats.

Andy40
06-02-2016, 04:59 PM
After taking on board all the positive and not so positive critiques, DT mk II is almost ready for beta testing.

After many hours of pfaffing around I have managed to get the drying times down to 24hours (applied at an average ambient temp of 30 deg Celcius and average humidity of 40%)

Good to hear DB.....We'll be waiting till June in Qld for a humidity of 40% :p

Maddogm
06-02-2016, 05:02 PM
I have a vested interest having bought a range of colours for kits and for testing/experimenting with

wazkelly
06-02-2016, 05:43 PM
Good to hear DB.....We'll be waiting till June in Qld for a humidity of 40% :p
Yeah but the ambient air temperature will be closer to late teens or maybe just 20 if lucky.

Looking forward to newer improved product and possibly more colour range too? Being able to purchase just a bit more of either stain or intensifier would be handy, particularly for those folk contemplating a burst.

dingobass
06-02-2016, 08:28 PM
Yeah but the ambient air temperature will be closer to late teens or maybe just 20 if lucky.

Looking forward to newer improved product and possibly more colour range too? Being able to purchase just a bit more of either stain or intensifier would be handy, particularly for those folk contemplating a burst.

As with most finishes, as long as the temperature is above 10 degrees C there shouldn't be any dramas there.
Humidity is always my biggest concern, but we had a week where the humidity was over 60% and it looks like the coats applied are doing fine. I guess the faster drying is helping there too.

Quantity is a hard one to get right, I am usually quite minimalist with finishes but this time I have really piled it on (for me that is) by applying four coats of intensifyer.
I hope the increase in quantity will solve the running out challenge.

As for new colours, I have a few new ones that are on hold until I release MKII.

Blueshound
07-02-2016, 06:10 AM
This is great news. I'm glad I haven't been able to decide on colours for my next couple of kits. Guess this just means more sanding time until MKII arrives. Looking forward to trying it out.

It's good to know that our feedback is going into product improvement... however, I can't help but feel that the MKII release is just to bump Tru-Oil off the 'latest products' on the PBG home page. :D

PS. Just a suggestion... it would be good to have a wood suitability guide for Dingotone colours. Similar to the one for Wudtone that is floating around on the forum.

dingobass
07-02-2016, 07:22 AM
Bluesy, Crap oil has nothing to do with DTMKII. I have been working on MKII for five or six months now... So add that to the twelve months of R&D for MKI you might see that my dedication to providing a safer alternative finish to the community is something I take VERY seriously.
I have watched too many good people die from hideous cancers caused by chemicals in paints etc.
That is my main driving force behind developing DT.

Colour chart... Yhep... Must do one :p

dingobass
07-02-2016, 09:49 AM
Three coats of intensifyer coat, I haven't cut this coat back yet but it shows the extra gloss and luster MKII is giving.
Last coat was applied at 3:30pm yesterday and it is touch dry now.
Ambient temp 30*C, humidity 35-40%.

I will leave it now for a few days to allow these coats to cure a bit more before I start on the finish coats.

(These tests are on a body that was stained with MKI)

wokkaboy
07-02-2016, 10:15 AM
looks great DB, is that a spalty LP body ?

what is the DT MKI stain colour you used ?

can't wait to try the MKII clear and give TO the flick !

dingobass
07-02-2016, 10:28 AM
looks great DB, is that a spalty LP body ?

what is the DT MKI stain colour you used ?

can't wait to try the MKII clear and give TO the flick !

The stain was an early blue that wasn't lightfast.... But the effect on the Spalt looks ok I guess.

wokkaboy
07-02-2016, 10:30 AM
it's still had a cool effect, deepened some of that grain. That early blue went to grey so it's worked ok

let me know if you want me or Popeye to beta test anything.
By the way FDF Four Dee Friday is ON this week !

sgriffiths
22-02-2016, 08:21 AM
Thinking of a blue or green finish for my first kit, wanting more shine was the only thing making me cautious with DT. With all this news, let me know if you want a test dummy!

Hugh
22-02-2016, 08:32 AM
Great news DingoBass

I guess now I'll have to find a new project to work on so I can apply the Dingotone II to it..

Don't tell the Missus though!!!

;P

(P.S. please post some pics of the new formula once it's been applied!! )

tonyw
22-02-2016, 08:36 AM
I just tell my missus its for a client she doesnt know the difference haha

I will be using DTII on my Junior build..

gavinturner
22-02-2016, 01:45 PM
Great news DB. Looking forward to sampiling the new formula and seeing the new colours.

cheers,
Gav.

Brendan
23-02-2016, 09:54 PM
Any chance of a deep cherry red - thinking the left hand cherry....

dingobass
25-02-2016, 05:56 PM
Update for beta testers....

Still waiting for Oz Snail to deliver the bottles......
Seven days and still no show.
Am I pissed?
Yhep....

Fingers crossed they show tomorrow or I will lose my s#it........

wokkaboy
25-02-2016, 07:39 PM
Seven days from where DB eastern States?
Sounds like they have slowed down even more

dingobass
25-02-2016, 07:55 PM
Coming from ye olde Melbourne town....

keloooe
25-02-2016, 08:52 PM
Coming from ye olde Melbourne town....

Wooooooo Melbourne!!! Actually wait.... In this case it isn't so good :P

tonyw
26-02-2016, 01:12 AM
Sydney to me in Melbourne, 1 week registered mail, your on the other side of the world might be 10 days :rolleyes:

dingobass
26-02-2016, 03:15 PM
And the villagers did rejoice!
The bottles arrived this arvo so I will begin shipping out to the beta testers on Monday :)

Muzza
26-02-2016, 04:27 PM
Is my plastic bottle on its way yet?

sgriffiths
03-03-2016, 11:01 AM
Any word how far off a more public release could be?
And will a Mk2 neck finish be coming out as well?

Muzza
03-03-2016, 12:19 PM
Is there a tracking number for the Beta testers?

It's getting lonely sitting out next to the post box every morning. :( (The postie thinks I fancy him...)

tonyw
03-03-2016, 12:30 PM
Haha too funny.... one thing i have learnt with guitars and parts is that patience is a virtue.

And my postie is a good looking gal on a pushy :D

wokkaboy
03-03-2016, 01:27 PM
Hi SG, I'd say it won't be available in the shop for at least another month. DB is currently sending out beta test bottles.
I'm picking some up tomoz to test.

dingobass
03-03-2016, 02:41 PM
There is a neck finish, some of the beta testers will be getting a little surprise in their packages.
I would imagine the kits should start to arrive tomorrow..

A month might be cutting it a bit fine, more like 6 weeks before we begin the roll out.
However, all custom colour kits will be the new blend....

wokkaboy
03-03-2016, 02:43 PM
DB, remember we are talking about Australia post here, the kits could arrive any time in 2016 !

DrNomis_44
03-03-2016, 03:23 PM
Awesome news about the Dingotone MkII kits, I'm looking forward to doing my bit as a beta-tester, Darwin usually has temperatures ranging in the late 20s, sometimes it gets into the 30's, plus, since Darwin is close to the Equator and I'm living in the tropics, the humidity can be a bit high, we've been getting a fair bit of rain lately too, might get some today as I'm hearing some thunder.

keloooe
03-03-2016, 04:00 PM
DB, remember we are talking about Australia post here, the kits could arrive any time in 2016 !

Well I've been waiting on something from Kurt (on the forum here) for like a week and still bum diggity

wokkaboy
05-03-2016, 02:34 PM
picked up uluru red DT mark 2 yesterday from DB and I had an ash tele which Ads gave me was an early beta test for DB trying Karijni red. First 2 pics how it looked before the uluru and 2nd 2 pics after.
It is already looking slightly darker as it cures today. Think after next coat the uluru red colour will come through.

Has any other forumites received their DT mark II beta testing kits ?

I am planning to try the uluru on mahogany PBG-2 kit I have so this will be more if a true representation of the colour on a clean sanded body

I got a really nice surprise at DB's yesterday, went up there with a maple neck blank to start a baritone neck and DB gave me his 95% finished baritone neck he had for a build which he thought would never get around to building. I'll post some pics and start a build diary soon but its a schweet looking neck !

THANK YOU DB ! anyone who saw me walk in with a blank and almost complete bari neck in under 3 hours would have been shocked

Muzza
07-03-2016, 10:14 AM
Have any beta testers on the East Coast got their DT MKII yet?

tonyw
07-03-2016, 10:18 AM
Mine will turn up with my guitar build, i am in no rush as i am heading bush Thursday morning early for 4 or 5 days so wont be doing anything.

Muzza
08-03-2016, 11:30 AM
'The Dingo has landed!'

We have liftoff...

The ally bottles look cool, but I must say, I prefer the clear bottles.

wokkaboy
08-03-2016, 11:32 AM
is that butterscotch Muzza and what build is it going on ?

tonyw
08-03-2016, 11:40 AM
Hope its butterscotch or its Bull @#$% :p

Muzza
08-03-2016, 12:45 PM
is that butterscotch Muzza and what build is it going on ?

Blackish Stump.

Both.

wokkaboy
08-03-2016, 12:57 PM
ah black stump, ok Muzza, look forward to updates

DrNomis_44
08-03-2016, 03:46 PM
I could be getting my Dingotone MkII in the post tomorrow since I got a tracking notification today saying that my Luthier supplies had been checked through at the Winnellie Post Office, will post a pic once I get it home....pretty excited now.

wokkaboy
08-03-2016, 03:50 PM
good stuff Doc, I'd say your DT should be included

1 post off 1000 posts mate !

DrNomis_44
08-03-2016, 03:53 PM
good stuff Doc, I'd say your DT should be included

1 post off 1000 posts mate !

Lol....and this post finally gets me to my 1000th post.

I got a pm from DB saying that he had included the Dingotone MkII with my order, plus a surprise, been thinking all last week and this week of what the surprise could be, don't spoil it by telling me what the surprise is though.

Hmmmmm.....my title hasn't changed.

wokkaboy
08-03-2016, 03:59 PM
congrats on 1000 posts, must be 2000 posts your next title is Overlord of Music.

I know what the surprise is but I won't mention it

Think you will like it haha

DrNomis_44
08-03-2016, 04:05 PM
congrats on 1000 posts, must be 2000 posts your next title is Overlord of Music.

I know what the surprise is but I won't mention it

Think you will like it haha

I'm sure I will, cheers mate.