PDA

View Full Version : Where was your "name"guitar made

dave.king1
05-02-2016, 12:14 PM
Very interesting but a pity he can't spell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqV-hJeRIBc

stan
05-02-2016, 02:57 PM
great vid , and some stick their nose up at kit building, well that's what the big boys do too...

wazkelly
05-02-2016, 06:43 PM
Amazing how the big brands make out they are something that they clearly are not.

Makes me feel a whole lot better now about building these kits as the sum of the parts will be miles in front of one off the shelf based on content in that video.

dingobass
05-02-2016, 07:25 PM
Well, that confirms my suspicions...
Recently had a new P## in for a setup.. The quality of the hardware was about the same as what comes with our kits...
Now the hardware we supply is fine for the money you guys pay for a kit, but I would not be very happy to discover my 1-4K axe is fitted with mystery metal hardware.......

dave.king1
05-02-2016, 07:35 PM
I'm hearing ya DB, in fact I think what comes with the kit is generally very acceptable unless you are playing with the big boys and even then not out of the ballpark.

Remember the old Fenders and Gibbys that most of us lust over were no better than what we are capable of and sometimes worse.

My 74 Tele Custom was a total nightmare could have shot arrows with it, not the one in the pic but looked the same

dingobass
05-02-2016, 09:05 PM
I'm hearing ya DB, in fact I think what comes with the kit is generally very acceptable unless you are playing with the big boys and even then not out of the ballpark.

Remember the old Fenders and Gibbys that most of us lust over were no better than what we are capable of and sometimes worse.

My 74 Tele Custom was a total nightmare could have shot arrows with it, not the one in the pic but looked the same

There were some real dogs made from time to time, but generally speaking I have found most pre 1980's F and G guitars to be quite good.
As for today's efforts from the big guys?
Absolute pieces of mass produced crud.

DrNomis_44
05-02-2016, 11:54 PM
There were some real dogs made from time to time, but generally speaking I have found most pre 1980's F and G guitars to be quite good.
As for today's efforts from the big guys?
Absolute pieces of mass produced crud.

Probably because they are more interested in keeping the beancounters happy than making decent quality instruments, I've noticed that F and G's QC has been falling a bit, most likely because they're trying to maximize their profit-margins,also, G got busted by the US Federal Marshalls for the woods they were using to build their guitars.

Andy40
06-02-2016, 03:47 AM
DK, interesting post.

For me, I did feel that the vlogger was just explaining a well known (and logical) effect of capitalism on manufacturing in a global market. The conclusions he draws (eg. "the fakeness and lie") are based on assumptions of representations made by the named corporates. I certainly felt that he was a little loose with his facts, which is fine if you are giving an example. But if you're giving an example, I wouldn't name names. He could have done it just as easily without mentioning any corporate names, which is risky. If I was him, I would re-post using "company A" and "company B".

Don't get me wrong, what he says is interesting though

Muzza
06-02-2016, 06:46 AM
I know EXACTLY where my 3 Matons were made. I've even met the guy that made my ER90C acoustic.