PDA

View Full Version : Why "Lefty Loosey" Annoys Me

Rabbitz
01-02-2016, 01:29 PM
There seems to be a mantra amongst folk around here when talking about adjusting truss rods.

The abbreviated form seems to be "lefty loosey" which I gather means turn the truss rod to the left when looking down on it.

This irks me no end because it is simply wrong.

If we look at Fig. 1 above the allen key is in the truss rod and if we "turn the key to the left, it loosens.

BUT

If we now take the allen key out and place it in the truss rod nut as shown in Fig. 2 then turning it to the left will actually tighten it. We actually need to use the maxim "righty loosey" in this case.

As you can see the allen key is heading in the same direction, i.e. counter-clockwise, but at the top it is going to the right and on the bottom it is going to the left (On the left it is turning down and the right up.).

All very confusing, especially to a newcomer.

May I suggest clockwise and counter-clockwise?

wokkaboy
01-02-2016, 01:47 PM
Hey Rabbitz,
good point mate, whatever works for you. I only think of it as figure 1 as most truss rod adjustments are made with the allen key above the truss rod as you the headstock is generally in the way to achieve figure 2

stan
01-02-2016, 03:07 PM
i think of it in terms of the rotation of the truss rod, instead of in terms of the allen key...

gavinturner
01-02-2016, 04:40 PM
Yes, couldn't agree more. Confused me no end until I could remember left == anti clockwise. Trouble is "anticlockwise loosey" doesn't have the same ring to it ;)

cheers,
Gav.

Andy40
01-02-2016, 04:44 PM
Punctuation and grammar saves lives Rabbitz...good on you

keloooe
01-02-2016, 05:37 PM
It's the same as a screw, that's how I remember it really haha! I never really thought of that though Rabz, but Woks is right, the headstock does get in the way and if its a heel adjustable neck then the body gets in the way, unless you remove the neck entirely which IMO is absolutely a stupid idea to get the relief right.