PDA

View Full Version : Solid color acrylic

Shayne
31-01-2016, 11:33 AM
Hi all,

My RC-1 should arrive early this week. Though I'd just confirm if I've got what I intend doing right. The guitar is a semi hollow body in basswood. I want a solid color with gloss finish. Step by step...

1. sand body with 180/ 240 grit
2. roll on a slurry of neutral Timbermate filler/putty
3. sand smooth with 180/240 paper
4. primer coat with SCA Primer Surface spray (rattle can from Supercheap Auto)
5. sand smooth with wet n dry 800 -1200 grit
6. 2nd coat of primer - sand if needed
7. color coat with Color Spec acrylic through gravity feed HVLP spray gun, mixed 60/40 with thinners (250ml pot from Supercheap, it's actually a 1957 Chevy color)
8. sand with whatever grit wet n dry to make smooth
9. apply 2nd color coat
10. apply 2 coats of either acrylic clear though the gun or Deep Crystal rattle can from Supercheap (bit pricey at $34.99 a can)

Would like advice or opinions as this is my first go over timber. Cheers

stan
31-01-2016, 01:52 PM
welcome mate, looks like a good plan, I have found automotive undercoat sticks to timber just fine.
after final coats sand to 2000 then polish
i have found you need plenty of curing time, weeks, before polishing.
i'd also leave at least a day between acrylic coats - acrylic dries a bit like a meringue: goes hard on the outside, but soft in the middle until it fully cures.
i think you will do fine

Shayne
01-02-2016, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the advice Stan. What would you advise for the the neck? I want just a clear satin finish, nothing on the fret board. Could you recommend a particular product? Cheers

pablopepper
01-02-2016, 08:23 AM
Tru oil is fantastic for necks. Especially when rubbed down after it's cured to give a satin finish.