PDA

View Full Version : How does the membership feel about non pre-drilled headstocks?

Muzza
29-01-2016, 05:53 PM
It really annoys me that our artistic licence and creativity is stifled by the kits having the peghead holes already drilled.

I wonder what the general feeling is regarding this? I also wonder that if enough people made enough fuss would it be feasible for the factory to supply the kits to the suppliers undrilled?

Or does everybody LIKE having the holes pre-drilled? Here we are, all trying our best to create 'our' guitar, but some bloke in China tells us what our headstocks are going to look like.

I'm only new here but I reckon I'll be hanging around. I'm interested to hear the regulars' opinions.

pablopepper
29-01-2016, 05:58 PM
I'm pretty sure the stand alone gibbo style necks are undrilled.

Andy40
29-01-2016, 06:04 PM
Hadn't really thought about it Muzz. The pre-drilled headstock holes on the ST-1 were a bit wonky but I just figured i'd plug and re-drill if I didn't like them. The laziness in me won :p

adam
29-01-2016, 06:53 PM
Hey Muzza, we just had a customer today with mis-aligned tuner holes. It's a frustrating issue that pops up every now and then and I've certainly conveyed this to the factory. The problem is that the majority of our customers are first time builders, so drilling tuner holes is a big ask if you're new to this.

As pablopepper said, we do have some necks here with no tuner holes drilled. So, if that's your preference, hit me up with an email and I'll see if we can find one to match with your next kit.

Muzza
29-01-2016, 08:07 PM
My current non BPG kit had misaligned holes, which is probably what inspired this question.

I ended up plugging and re-drilling, but going from a splayed out Gibson type shape to a tapered PRS shape, the original plugged holes furthest from the nut extend outside the new outline. Luckily my headstock is going to be solid black, so hopefully won't be noticed.

It also inspired me to finally upgrade my plug cutters to an 8 piece set of Forstners & plug cutters. I'll review them in my first build diary.