PDA

View Full Version : Benson Custom Pickups - Hand Wound in the USA

adam
25-01-2016, 05:00 PM
Hey guys, I am genuinely so excited about our latest addition to the ever-expanding PBG Catalogue. Our order of Benson Custom Pickups has just dropped and they look amazing! I can't wait to get a set of Tele Blues into one of the many Teles that taunt me daily here at PBG HQ.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/benson-custom-pickups/

John Benson hand winds his pickups in the US using only the best quality, authentic and vintage components. He has a great reputation for manufacturing pickups to a customer's specific tonal request.

John has personally manufactured a range of pickups for us that represents his most sought after tones; across Strat, Tele, Humbucker, P-90, Jazzmaster, Jazz Bass and P-Bass styles.

This is our first venture into "Boutique" pickups and I'm personally really stoked that we have exclusive access to such an awesome product.

Massive thanks to Kimball for putting me onto John's pickups. John is not well known... yet, but is making huge waves and attracting some big name players. It's really thrilling to think that our humble little business is getting in on something that could become HUGE! I really do hope you guys get behind the product.

EXCLUSIVE FORUM OFFER!

John has included 2 sets of his '63 Strat Set (http://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/pickups/benson-custom-63-strattm-set/) (his most popular set) for promotional purposes.

I want to offer a set, absolutely FREE, to two of our Forum members.

The conditions:

You live in Australia (sorry, we only have distribution rights for Australia)
You have been a PBG Forum member for more than one year
You have an ST Style Pit Bull Guitars kit or Fender Strat (or copy) that you can load these pups into
You are able to record a video demo that could go on our site
You can write a short review of the pups that could go on our site

If you're keen to to take up this offer, please email me: adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars(dot)com.

UPDATE: THE PROMOTIONAL SETS HAVE GONE. LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING WHAT STAN AND GAV THINK OF THEM.

stan
25-01-2016, 05:33 PM
oh wow, that's awesome!

I have a Squier by Fender strat that would greatly benefit from a set of these! I could also do a before and after sound comparison through a Fender twin reverb amp....

adam
25-01-2016, 05:36 PM
Stan, there is a set of Benson Custom '63 Strat pups coming your way! Look forward to hearing what you think.

oh wow, that's awesome!

I have a Squier by Fender strat that would greatly benefit from a set of these! I could also do a before and after sound comparison through a Fender twin reverb amp....

stan
25-01-2016, 05:37 PM
cant say thankyou enough. email sent mate, that's just great!

WeirdBits
25-01-2016, 06:20 PM
That's great news Adam, another excellent upgrade option for builders.

Congrats Stan... no pressure, but the product's future at Pitbull rests solely on you. Remember, right hand stagger.

(Not applying, I couldn't do them justice)

stan
25-01-2016, 06:28 PM
Thanks Weirdy, yeah, no pressure...
yes I know about the stagger, will simply reverse the pickup to keep it correct for a lefty, they will still keep the same polarity in respect to one another so there should be no issue.
Plenty of leftys, Hendrix included, dont worry about it and mount them the same anyway and say it just makes a tonal difference, not bad, just different, some say it makes none.

Since the builder bothered to add this feature, then I will honor it by adjusting my installation accordingly.

Trouble is I have to learn something cool for the vid...

kimball492
25-01-2016, 11:12 PM
Well done Stan, I'm sure you'll love the pickups sound and tone. They cut through mixes so well I love position 1 3 4 and 5. Nice clarity too. Also good luck to Adam and Pitbull. Look forward to hearing both Stan and Adams guitars with the Bensons on. Enjoy guys.
Best Wishes
Kimball

gavinturner
26-01-2016, 05:19 AM
Great score Adam! I'm very interested to give these pickups a try. Couldn't possibly apply for the freebies, but plenty of builds in the works that could benefit from a set. It's amazing what a variety of pickups Pitbull now offers for its builders. It's very much appreciated.

cheers,
Gav.

stan
26-01-2016, 05:24 AM
Thanks Kimball, you have used these in a build?

Gav, are you kidding, you'd be a perfect candidate, lots of builds, you write a great write up and do cool vids, and a great forum contributor

gavinturner
26-01-2016, 05:28 AM
Thanks Stan, but unfortunately my playing is all kinds of rubbish ;).

cheers,
Gav.

stan
26-01-2016, 05:53 AM
Mine too mate, call it incentive

kimball492
26-01-2016, 12:29 PM
Yes Stan known John a while now I have his Strat pickups on a fender, also a custom set of humbuckers on a squire strat. And a custom set on my fender precision bass. He's a great guy very good bass player and luthier. I find his pickups have a lot of musicality to them. Let me know your thoughts Stan. Look forward to your demo.

adam
26-01-2016, 03:38 PM
Gav, I think you should do it... you're a good player and I'm sure you've got a Strat style guitar laying around that could use some quality pups. I am sending you and Stan the sets tomorrow. The video is not compulsory (same for you Stan), but would be great if you can do it. If you can write some kind of review that would be very helpful.

Great score Adam! I'm very interested to give these pickups a try. Couldn't possibly apply for the freebies, but plenty of builds in the works that could benefit from a set. It's amazing what a variety of pickups Pitbull now offers for its builders. It's very much appreciated.

cheers,
Gav.

Andy40
26-01-2016, 04:19 PM
Gav, I think you should do it... you're a good player and I'm sure you've got a Strat style guitar laying around that could use some quality pups. I am sending you and Stan the sets tomorrow. The video is not compulsory (same for you Stan), but would be great if you can do it. If you can write some kind of review that would be very helpful.

Nice work Adam, Gav and Stan I am looking forward to hearing the Bensons!!

Nickosaurus
26-01-2016, 05:22 PM
Can't wait to hear the demos lads. I've been looking for some new pickups to put in my STA-1M since it has now become my main axe

kimball492
26-01-2016, 07:11 PM
Congrats Gavin, I hope you enjoy the Bensons. Again look forward to your videos.

dave.king1
27-01-2016, 07:22 AM
I'm also looking forward to hearing the results, please A/B them with the current pups in the demos so we can hear the difference

Nickosaurus
27-01-2016, 08:24 AM
Great idea Dave.

wokkaboy
27-01-2016, 08:53 AM
very generous offer Ads. Look forward to the comparison stock versus Benson pups.
Make sure you have the same amp settings for both demo's so we can tell the difference in sound

gavinturner
27-01-2016, 12:17 PM
Wow, thanks Ads! I will give it my best shot!

cheers,
Gav.

stan
27-01-2016, 03:26 PM
Good stuff Gav! I think your vid will be better than mine haha

Thanks Adam and also John of Benson pickups

Blueshound
29-01-2016, 04:15 PM
Do these only come in sets?

Looking forward to hearing the demos.

adam
05-02-2016, 05:35 PM
Do these only come in sets?

Looking forward to hearing the demos.

Hi Blueshound, my apologies, I only just saw your comment (I remember the days when I could personally respond to every single post!) Now I'm lucky if I get to see about 10% of posts. That's what having two jobs means.

I ordered these Benson Custom pickups in sets because one of the big selling features of his pups is that they are matched. So, the bridge pup is matched to the neck, or the bridge, middle and neck pups, for ST kits, are all matched.

I am more than happy to sell them individually, which just means splitting up the sets. I will look at how we can best do that in our eStore over the weekend.

If you're keen on a bridge or neck pup (or middle!) only, just email me and I can make it happen (it will be 1/2 or 1/3 the price of the set, for Humbuckers and ST single coils respectively).

Blueshound
06-02-2016, 09:25 AM
Awesome. Thanks Adam. Email sent.