PDA

View Full Version : PBG kits featuring woods indigenous to Australia.

DrNomis_44
25-01-2016, 11:33 AM
Just thought I'd add this idea, has anyone from the PBG staff ever thought of manufacturing guitar kits that feature woods indigenous to Australia?

stan
25-01-2016, 11:40 AM
since the manufacturers are in china, there might be issues of supply and import and export...

pbg do offer blackwood bodies ...

Brendan
26-01-2016, 01:47 PM
I think it has been thunk, but the costs of getting it done are much higher than the woods in kits from China - especially when you include the labour.

wazkelly
26-01-2016, 03:46 PM
Sounds like scratch builds only.

dave.king1
27-01-2016, 07:27 AM
I suspect there could be pest certification issues of untreated / unsealed timber coming back in too but maybe this is already in hand.

Moving cars & car parts around on pallets and in wooden boxes is a nightmare, my son in law just bought three F1 engines in for one of my club mates and getting the timber boxes through customs too a lot of time

adam
22-02-2016, 05:22 PM
Hey Doc, yes, we have been well and truly down that road. A few people have done the preliminary "costings" and the kits would need to retail around the $600-$800 mark, with no hardware. I'm not convinced that there's a sufficient market at that price.

As for sending Aussie timbers to China... just too hard.

Rabbitz
28-02-2016, 02:41 AM
Surely with all of us ne'er-do-wells and assorted riff-raff who are currently condemned to the NW there is an ample supply of cheap labour - add a couple of beer waste-product powered CNC machines and Bob's your Uncle (or Aunty in my case, but that's another story).

:cool:

stan
28-02-2016, 05:35 AM
Sounds like a good excuse to make a scratchie from local product and fit a pbg neck... I doubt I could make one of those easily