PDA

View Full Version : Does Dingotone make a specific Wudtone alternative?

Muzza
24-01-2016, 09:36 PM
I found a YouTube video where you were using Wudtone, but I see that you no longer sell or promote that product.

I'm trying to get a similar colour to my Maton B1200

I guess you'd call it a satin 'tobacco burst'?

Anyway, BuildYourOwnGuitar forum member 'neverwas' got really close with his ES-2V build

But he used Wudtone, specifically 'Black Magic Woman' to get the deep rich black around the outside. (I would use B M W for the back, sides and neck too). Where he used 'Carmen Gypsy', I would substitute with Dark Amber.

Do you have anything at Dingotone that is similar to Black Magic Woman?

Brendan
24-01-2016, 09:56 PM
The Dingotone "Black Stump" is very dark - a couple of us were calling it "none more black" pre production. That said, our resident mad alchemist Dingobass was responsible for Wudtone and now Dingotone, so an email to dingobass at Pitbullguitars dot com should be able to give you a full rundown on any differences. May also be worth looking at the Nullarbor ochre as well...

wokkaboy
24-01-2016, 11:09 PM
Hey Muzza, welcome to the forum,
ditto what Brendan said, I'd try DT black stump and a darker version of nullarbor ochre,
What kit are you planning to build ?

Muzza
25-01-2016, 06:13 AM
The Dingotone "Black Stump" is very dark - a couple of us were calling it "none more black" pre production.

ditto what Brendan said, I'd try DT black stump and a darker version of nullarbor ochre,

Hmm... I had a look at 'Black Stump' and it looks to me on the iPad screen to be a very very dark green. I don't think it would work, however if it was a very very dark brown, I'd probably bite the bullet.

What kit are you planning to build ?

PRS-1TS with heavily modified headstock.

Muzza
25-01-2016, 06:27 AM
Another concern I have is this. Somewhere in this Dingtone sub-forum a member - Aidan - wasn't happy with the end result and DB's advice was to make sure you don't over work the product - just put it on and leave it. To quote Dingobass -"Wipe once and leave it alone.."

But my understanding is that to get a good burst, you have no option BUT to 'over work' it?

dingobass
25-01-2016, 11:35 AM
Hey Muzza.
Without being rude about Aiden, he refused to listen to the advice and instructions he was given on numerous occasions.
Call it the arrogance of youth....

Black Stump is blacker than black, so no problems there.

So, Black Stump and Nullarbor Ochre should do the trick.

With bursts, the majority of the burst is achieved with the stain coats, which are very forgiving and allow for lots of reworking :)
It is when you start on the intensifying coats and final coats you need to use the wipe once, leave it alone method.

Muzza
25-01-2016, 03:43 PM
Cheers DB. I've sent you a PM as I don't know your email address.