PDA

View Full Version : The MK-2 needs a redesign

izmjonze
24-01-2016, 12:47 AM
Hello everybody, I bought an MK-2 a few months back (still working on it, the cold weather prevents any painting) and comparing it to a Mosrite ventures slab body or Hallmark (better than an actual Mosrite) the guitar as a whole needs to be overhauled. I'll start with the body.
The right side of the body seems to be spot on, and that's where the similarities to the Mosrite end. Take for instance, the left side. the small horn on top is shaped terribly, and the lower bout does not "stick out" as far as it should.
From looking at Fender and Gibson models I noticed that the headstocks have to be changed for trademark reasons and that's fine. I'm guessing the headstock for the mk-2 has to be somewhat altered as well (it's shorter and wider than a Mosrite). The neck has the zero fret, which is awesome, but the fret markers on the fingerboard are way way bigger than they should be.
I'm a fan of this company and hope for continued success, but this one model really needs a redesign.

respectfully,

IzmJonze

izmjonze
24-01-2016, 12:49 AM
Put a finished mk-2 next to a Mosrite ventures slab body, Hallmark, or even an Eastwood model and you'll see what I'm talking about.

izmjonze
24-01-2016, 04:10 AM
hallmark road to ruin 7884

Fretworn
25-01-2016, 04:11 PM
Welcome izmjonze! Most of the guitars are not exact copies to avoid any copyright or trademark issues. This is also why Pitfall encourages builders to use their own branding, rather than using replacement decals for known companies.

dingobass
25-01-2016, 04:53 PM
Pitfall??
Gotta love auto fill and spellchecker :p

Rabbitz
26-01-2016, 02:54 AM
Pitfall??
Gotta love auto fill and spellchecker :p

I dunno, it seems kind of apt to me...

I've found plenty of pitfalls since starting to do builds (mainly due to my ineptness). :)

stan
26-01-2016, 05:39 AM
True, they are not exact, but that is a good thing. Because when you build one, it will be yours, not a Mosrite, or whatever...

You can always modify if you want a closer look, either way have fun building