PDA

View Full Version : Pick-up holes.

Bradboy
21-01-2016, 04:51 PM
Hi All
Had to enlarge the holes for the humbuckers on my ES-1G. Still a tight fit with the metal casing coming in contact with the wood of the guitar.
I would have thought this casing would need to float on the springs. Do i need to make the holes big enough for this to happen or is it ok for them to be snug and in contact with the wood?
Thanks
Bradboy

vh2580
21-01-2016, 05:19 PM
Hi Bradboy, have had it happen a few times with the screw tabs. is it the square of the case or the tabs? Sometimes the pickups that come with the kit are a bit flared at the base and have had to squeeze and resolder the earth to make them fit.

wokkaboy
21-01-2016, 05:53 PM
Hi Bradboy, welcome to the forum, I'd get a file and make a tiny gap between the pickup casing and the pickup cavity hole. You will eventually need to set the height of the pickups to be fairly close to the strings so you don't want the pickup to get jammed when you are adjusting the heights.
Doesn't need much clearance, just as long as you can place the pickup in the hole with no interferance.

Bradboy
22-01-2016, 06:54 AM
Thanks Tony
It could be the flared casing. I'll have to get some time to have another look but i think I'll just work on making the cavity slightly bigger.
Bradboy

Bradboy
22-01-2016, 07:00 AM
Thanks Wokkaboy
I'm gunna go with enlarging the cavity. It made sense but i just wanted to check. My 1st build.
Bradboy

Fuzzbeard
22-01-2016, 02:00 PM
You are not alone my es-1g is the same, one day I might put down my beer and pick up a file. On mine it just looks like I'll have to make the round corners of the pickup routes more square and they should drop right in.

wokkaboy
22-01-2016, 02:06 PM
HAHA Fuzzy, you need one of those hats that hold 2 beer cans and have tubes going to your mouth so you can drink beer and file at the same time !

wazkelly
22-01-2016, 07:01 PM
HAHA Fuzzy, you need one of those hats that hold 2 beer cans and have tubes going to your mouth so you can drink beer and file at the same time !

Surprised you haven't got one already Woks so that we can see a photo of you in action demonstrating how to use it.