PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an ES-3 demo?

peterh
16-01-2016, 09:23 PM
Still trying to decide which kit to build - ES-1G, ES-3 or maybe ES-2V. I've found demos of the 1G and 2V but nothing for the 3. Would love to hear some clean demos of an ES-3 if anyone has anything they could share.

Thanks,
Peter.

Tweaky
14-03-2016, 03:21 PM
Hate to sound like a snob, but Jazz guitarists are that end up heavily modify their guitars.

Since the ES-3 is most like a Gibson ES-175 [Cheapest Gibson Archtop] Expect this model to be the most heavily modified.

Heavy mods both take planning and time to do.

That's why this build isn't heavily represented ATM.

darthdamo
14-03-2016, 07:10 PM
The PBG kits are fantastic guitars so you can't go wrong with whatever you choose. Dig deep Peter.. You know what you want the ES3! You just need to decide whether it's gonna be the first kit you build or the 5th kit you build.. Either way it will get built one day!

..Sorry bro that's the G.A.S madman in me speaking too loudly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peterh
15-03-2016, 08:30 PM
@Darthdamo,
Yeah, you're right - I want it - I got it.
The ES-3 will be build #2 actually. Practicing this whole kit building thing on a basic Tele model first.
Looks like it will be a summer project at the rate the tele is coming together ;)

Tweaky
16-03-2016, 03:51 PM
A Tele build is simple really.

A ES-3 build takes planning, and amassing the best tools you can to make it the best build you can..... again, depends just what you want to achieve.

I've revised my ES-3 build several times, each when I realised that my previous design wouldn't quite work as I wanted it to..... hence the time taken by me on my ES-3 build.
There are the idiosyncrasies of the ES-3 design that I have found annoying, and ultimately, the ones I'm trying to make my ES-3 look less a kit ..... this is where my time has been spent.

Not Easy.

In all honesty, if somebody were to ask me now if they should buy a ES-3 kit, I would say no, don't

If only for one reason, the neck / body joint and gaps left at both the side of the body joining the neck, and the inability, due to the original design change, for the left side of the guitars top to be glued to the underneath of the fretboard overhang....

Why, what are you talking about?......well because there is no fretboard overhang on the left-hand side of this kit guitars neck.
Unlike a Gibson semi acoustic guitar

So the result is, neither can be clamped/ glued together, anyway you could conceive.

It leaves you [un modified] with two gaps.
One between the neck and body on the left hand side front face, and another on the same side at the top of where the body meets the neck.

Could be a easy design change / fix

Simon Barden
01-11-2016, 01:05 AM
I'm building an ES-3 at the moment. From simply putting the neck in the pocket, on my kit I'm getting only hairline gaps. Whilst I fully agree that the design could be better (the neck pitch on mine is such that I haven't got the height available to fit a floating tune-o-matic bridge like an ES-175 has, so I've got to stick with a fixed one), I haven't found it too bad so far. If they increased the neck pitch, then they could make the high end of the fretboard float over the soundboard like a real 175, and have space to fit a floating TOM bridge in. A floating bridge also lessens any worries about the pre-drilled post holes not being in quite the right place to match up with the neck. My neck has no play in it when fitted into the pocket, so I'm hoping that the post holes are close enough to the correct location for the bridge to work. My bridge (a TonePro's 'Nashville' type) will need the post holes enlarging very slightly to fit the post sockets, so I'm waiting until the neck's glued in before doing that, as I then have a means to edge it over by 1mm or so in the right direction.