PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Kits On All- aple Fretboards

ear_spear
16-01-2016, 06:38 PM
I'm starting a build on a PB strat kit, ash body, all maple neck very soon. The look I'll be after is basically a David Gilmour copy (black on black, maple neck, etc).

So I get that vintage look on the maple neck, I'll be finishing the neck with a Dingotone bloodwood kit (thanks for the help with that, Dingobass). It's not my first build, but I've never stained a bare maple neck before. I know most vintage amber necks are finished with an amber tint in the nitro-cellulose or poly, sprayed straight over the bare wood.

I have no problem with applying the bloodwood stain, but applying the final finish raise a question for me. The best result with the finishing coats is achieved by applying with the grain of the neck timber, but I'm a little concerned that applying the finishing coats to the fretboard could be less than perfect because of the fretwire.

Is the best way to tackle the fretboard by applying the finishing coats along the length of the neck (with the grain) and would this create a bit of a noticeable build up at the fret, or should I be applying it across the fretboard (against the grain)? Is the finishing oil durable on the actual fretboard or would I be better off using tung oil on it?

I'd appreciate any advice from anyone who's finished off a maple neck this way, wouldn't want to get a less than great result. Cheers!

Brendan
16-01-2016, 07:08 PM
Ear - send Dingobass an email at dingobass at pitbullguitars dot com. Luckily you're not doing a bass otherwise he'd suggest getting rid of the frets altogether!

ear_spear
16-01-2016, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the advice, Brendon. Just looked around and realized that I posted this in the wrong forum anyway.. should have posted it in the DingoTone forum.. ah well. Should issue L-Plates for forum newbies like me. It seems Dingobass keeps his finger on the pulse of what's posted in there so I might try my luck with it there. Cheers!

Brendan
16-01-2016, 07:32 PM
No worries.

dingobass
16-01-2016, 08:13 PM
I wouldnt use DT on the fingerboard. Better off using a wax (such as Dingowax) or a fretboard oil. :)

Edit... You can use the DT stain coat, just dont use the final coat.........

gavinturner
17-01-2016, 04:50 AM
On my black tele i coloured the fretboard (using Colortone dye but DT stain coat is equivalent) and then used DT wax over the top. REally happy with the results. the DT wax given a very smooth and playable surface.

cheers,
Gav.

wazkelly
18-01-2016, 06:02 PM
On my black tele i coloured the fretboard (using Colortone dye but DT stain coat is equivalent) and then used DT wax over the top. REally happy with the results. the DT wax given a very smooth and playable surface.

cheers,
Gav.
How often would you need to reapply the wax on a maple fret board?

gavinturner
19-01-2016, 05:44 PM
How often would you need to reapply the wax on a maple fret board?

Been playing it for 12 months on and off with no visible change. Maybe a re-wax every 5 sets of strings? Not sure but it seems very resilient at the moment. The wax doesnt seem to be going anywhere.

cheers,
Gav.

wazkelly
19-01-2016, 06:16 PM
Thanks Gavin. Got 2 pots of the DT Wax and yet to get to the fret boards as still finishing off necks and bodies.

ear_spear
20-01-2016, 02:38 PM
Thanks for all that helpful info.. so I guess DT finishing coat on the back of the neck but DT Wax on the fretboard is the best way to go. I have refinished a maple fretboard before using Danish Oil, got a great looking result but didn't last very long. Cheers again, everyone. Much appreciated advice.

peterh
03-02-2016, 10:59 AM
Since we can't get DT Wax shipped outside of AUS, does anyone have a recommended finish for maple fretboards that's available in Canada/US? I've seem many comments on other forums saying you should never use lemon oil on a maple fretboard because is is such a closed grain that the oil doesn't sink it and just makes the surface rather messy. For my TL-1 I'm planning on using Tru Oil (got 3 bottles dropped off by UPS today) for the neck - wax sounds like a good choice for the fretboard but what kind - carnuba (car) wax or something else?

Peter.

pablopepper
03-02-2016, 11:04 AM
Try Dr Ducks. Readily available in the states.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41KtvGvBu1L._AC_UL320_SR258,320_.jpg