PDA

View Full Version : Neck finish choices

BenWA
15-01-2016, 07:24 AM
Whats everyone using these days? I did wudtone neck finish on my last build and while it looks good from a distance, up close it was a bit patchy. im not keen on clear laquer, i want something thats gonna leave a smooth satin/matte finish, basically like the neck on my old squier strat that i started learning with.

im guessing i need tru oil? what other options could you guys suggest? i guess its a pretty personal thing, just wanted to get some ideas to get things moving again

dave.king1
15-01-2016, 07:34 AM
I used a Cabbots maple stain and then carnauba wax on the back of the neck and citrus oil on the fretboard.

Is it the correct answer, no idea but it gave me the finish and feel I wanted

pablopepper
15-01-2016, 07:45 AM
Tru oil works for me. Easy to apply, looks really good and feels spectacular, especially if you steel wool it down to a satin finish.

wokkaboy
15-01-2016, 08:44 AM
Hey Ben, just apply a bit of bush chook mate haha just kidding.
I've got the best results from tru oil and it feels good. I can't really say how long it lasts as my guitar collection is so big I don't play any axe for long periods.

BenWA
15-01-2016, 11:39 AM
fairo i figured tru oil might be the best way, was just curious as i know theres a few senior luthiers on here who are not so partial to it ahaha. thanks guys

wheres the best place to obtain said naughty oil? can it be purchased from a certain large green hardware vendor? (if im to be on my way to the naughty room anyway then i figure i may as well make myself comfortable ahah)

wokkaboy
15-01-2016, 11:56 AM
Hey Ben, you live in home of the bush chook don't you ? (Perth)

call some of the local gun shops should have the 3 ounce bottle (about 90ml) will do several necks.

If you want more quantity for bodies then I've been buying from this place is a good price for 32 ounce bottle (960ml)

http://www.qldgunexchange.com/QGEWeb/product_search.seam?cid=57294

Not many companies in Australia post it as it's a flammable liquid. I called a few gun shops in Perth a while back and all of them only had a 3 ounce bottle

I've got a 3 x life sentence in the Naughty Warehouse so got nothing to lose if the sentence increases !

tonyw
15-01-2016, 01:27 PM
I use tru oil cant see the fuss about it, great on necks especially.

Western Firearms in Sydney sells it, i got mine from a gun shop in Sydney but cant remember who.

BenWA
15-01-2016, 01:28 PM
yeah i live in perth

im not a huge kit builder, this is only my second so i think the 3 oz should do me haha, how much does that cost? know any gun shops in the vic park area?

wokkaboy
15-01-2016, 01:55 PM
Hey Ben, just go to yellow pages online and search for gun shops. 3 ounce bottle should be about $8-10 I'd guess.
It goes a fair way if you apply it fairly thinly

gavinturner
15-01-2016, 02:11 PM
Hey Ben,
DIY Guitars currently sells it and they will post it to you. They are going out of business soon, so it's only an option for a little while. I've bought a couple of bottles from them recently no hassles.

cheers,
Gav.

BenWA
15-01-2016, 04:06 PM
cheers. sucks about his kid having leukemia. theyve got a nice jazzmaster kit with 2 p90s in it...hmm tempting