PDA

View Full Version : Basic tools

peterh
12-01-2016, 10:38 AM
Before I pull the trigger on a kit, I'm trying to figure out how much extra $$ I'll be into for some basic tools to help the build go smoothly.
My biggest concern is getting the (set) neck glued at the correct angle and then ensuring that the fretboard is level and frets are in good order. I've read about using a long straight edge and 'fret rocker' to help with this so I went looking on Amazon to see what I could find and came across this product - http://www.amazon.ca/Guitar-Notched-Straight-Edge-ROCKER/dp/B00O6KT5HO/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1452566601&sr=1-1. Is this the right thing? How critical would it be to have this?
Are there any other basic luthier tools that would be good to get that aren't hugely expensive?

Thanks,
Peter.

wokkaboy
12-01-2016, 10:52 AM
Hi Peter, good questions.
Think Gavmiester wrote a thread about 2-3 years ago about tools required at different levels.
The fret ruler and rocker seem pretty cheap and well priced, if you think you will build more than one kit (this is very likely !) it will be worth the purchase.
The most basic tools you will need are phillips screwdriver set, drill and drill bits, sandpaper and sanding block.
You can make a straight edge sanding beam out of a long spirit level and glue sandpaper to that for levelling frets, there is sticky sandpaper available.
Then there are other power tools to make the job easier orbital sanders are handy.
To cut the headstock shape a coping saw and files (you can get away with sandpaper) are required. An electric jigsaw will make it easier.

What kit have you got in mind ? most first kit builders manage fine with a set neck kit.

NOTE Peter this is all the tools from memory, I have probably missed some

peterh
12-01-2016, 11:07 AM
Thanks Wokka,
I'll have a look for that article. thanks for the tip about the level, too.
To be honest, I'm struggling on deciding which kit to go with, for a number of reasons. There are several kits that would do me quite well for jazz and some blues - tele, LP, 335 and most certainly would be more guitar than I can handle given my beginner abilities (starting lessons this week). I have enough power tools (orb sanders, routers, drills, etc.) and lots of hand tools from larger woodworking projects, so I'm just trying to get a handle on guitar specific tools I might need. It's quite likely I might do more than one kit simply because I can't decide. As a forester by training, I love the wonderful maple grains that I'm seeing on the LP kits.... but musically I think the ES-1 or maybe the ES-2 might be more what I'm looking for..... but logically the TL-1 would be a good simple kit to start with.
Dang it all, shipping is cheaper for multiple kits too. I'll just keep over analyzing things for a couple more days i guess.

cheers,
Peter.

Darren
12-01-2016, 11:08 AM
Hi Peter, good questions.
Think Gavmiester wrote a thread about 2-3 years ago about tools required at different levels.

Think that might be this one: How to build your Pit Bull Electric guitar (http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1895)

wokkaboy
12-01-2016, 11:14 AM
Hi Peter, sounds like you have the tools side covered then.
Also if you intend using a bone nut, which will sound heaps better than the plastic ones supplied, you may need nut files.
Might be worth the first kit getting Dingobass to cut you a bone nut.
Decisions which kits to buy I know - there must be close to 100 kits available now !

EDIT yes that's the thread I was talking about. I didn't even mention soldering iron, wire cutters and solder !

Rabbitz
12-01-2016, 01:20 PM
Keep in mind our resident guru and father-figure DingoBass can do a fret level on your kit before it leaves PitBull.

I can't remember the price but it was reasonable when I had him do one a few months back.

Drop him a line he will let you know the price and what is involved.

Maddogm
12-01-2016, 02:13 PM
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/services/pit-bull-guitars-luthiers-neck-set-up/
It's $70

peterh
12-01-2016, 07:39 PM
Thanks Rabbitz - I had heard that you could get a set up done and I'm thinking about that option but part of me says I could spend the $70 on more tools :cool: and really learn what this guitar building thing is all about. If I end up ordering two kits, maybe I'll get the neck done on the tougher build and get some basic tools to use on the easier build.
I read the 'how to build your guitar' post that listed the must-have and nice-to-have tools and I have pretty much everything except the neck tools (straight edge, nut files, fret files).

Cheers,
Peter.

Andy40
13-01-2016, 02:56 AM
Hi Peter,

I was in the same position as you when i built my first ST-1. I had most basic handyman tools including screw drivers and power drill. I then bought the pitbull sandpaper kit with my ST-1, a set of trojan small files ($10-$20), attachments for a power drill to sand and buff ($10), a coping saw ($8), a soldering station ($16) a multi meter ($10 - $20) and a soldering iron ($20). (these prices are approximate). Most of these were purchased from Jaycar or the big green shed.

For the headstock, I cut it with a coping saw, shaped it with 80 grit sandpaper followed by each grade of the pitbull sandpaper kit. The rest of the kit was built using the above tools, except fret leveling.

For the fret leveling, I made a levelling beam from an aluminium bar from the big green shed ($3) with some double sided tape and used strips of pitbull sandpaper kit. I tried to make a notched straight edge but failed miserably. A forum member Pablopepper saved me and made a knotched straight edge from acrylic and now I use it all the time. you can PM him and his prices are very fair.
I know that Gavmeister (and others may cringe) but I crowned the frets by carefully using the small trojan files, a plastic card to protect the fret board, buffed with pitbull sandpaper kit high grades and 000 steel wool and metal polish. Took a long time but worked great!

I followed this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDy7cF255dY

Good luck