PDA

View Full Version : New Batch of IB-5 Kits

adam
07-01-2016, 08:39 PM
There is a new batch of IB-5 5 String Bass Kits in stock. This one was picked for a customer in the US. Check out the grain on the back (the front was more conventional Ash).

Gavin1393
07-01-2016, 10:15 PM
Has to be happy with that!

Rabbitz
08-01-2016, 02:56 AM
Bet he paints it :o

wokkaboy
08-01-2016, 08:31 AM
Hi Ads, that is weird looking ash grain. Are the factory still gluing a veneer on the front of these models ?
Looks like they are still pre-drilling neck screw holes but still haven't worked out to recess the control cavity for the control cover !

keloooe
08-01-2016, 10:28 AM
Woks, that would be because there is no plate to align the holes up at all, they still do the neck screw drilling anyway on other kits.
Also stumped me why they cant finish the cavity off haha!

wokkaboy
08-01-2016, 10:55 AM
Yeah Pest. It was the recessed holes neck screw holes that threw me off. Forgot this is standard for these kits

Maddogm
08-01-2016, 02:52 PM
Out of curiosity, are the rear control cavities a standard size across kits? and do they happen to match up with the stewmac control cavity templates (http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Routing_Templates/Control_Cavity_Templates_Set_of_2.html)?

edit: looking at the product page the cover is a totally different shape, even though the internal cavity in the OP is a similar shape the stewmac ones

There goes my hopes of there being a simple solution :P

adam
12-01-2016, 02:07 PM
Out of curiosity, are the rear control cavities a standard size across kits? and do they happen to match up with the stewmac control cavity templates (http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Routing_Templates/Control_Cavity_Templates_Set_of_2.html)?

edit: looking at the product page the cover is a totally different shape, even though the internal cavity in the OP is a similar shape the stewmac ones

There goes my hopes of there being a simple solution :P

Hi Maddogm, I doubt they will be interchangeable. There was even a lot of difference between the two factories' versions of this one kit.

adam
12-01-2016, 02:09 PM
Hi Ads, that is weird looking ash grain. Are the factory still gluing a veneer on the front of these models ?
Looks like they are still pre-drilling neck screw holes but still haven't worked out to recess the control cavity for the control cover !

Hey Wokka, I will ask them if they can recess the control cavity to fit the cover.

Did they ever glue a veneer on these IB-5 kits, I thought it was a sold ash body, but could be wrong.

wokkaboy
12-01-2016, 02:14 PM
Hi Ads, thanks that would make building the IB-5 a lot easier if the control cavities were recessed.

My IB-5 was solid ash body but that was 2-3 years ago. I remember Sam built one last year and pretty sure it had an ash veneer on the face ontop of solid ash body. There were a couple of ash tele's I remember having this as well from last year.