PDA

View Full Version : To refinish or not to refinish? That is my question

Wisdom
05-01-2016, 10:54 AM
HI ALL!

I have an old beat up Yamaha 12 string that is basically just for fussing. The top is soft and all beat up with nicks and scratches. It's been played hard by an elderly woman that payed at a church. I'm not sure why it's so beat up, but I imagine that she did not have a case.
Anyway...
I was thinking of sanding the finish off the top and the neck and maybe add some stain and finish with oil.

I know the thought in the player world is that if you not happy with a guitar you get a new one. I'm wondering what all the build folks think.

Should I?

Alm_63
05-01-2016, 03:12 PM
I would give it as light a touch as possible.
Just try ang get the bare wood covered ??

Gavin1393
05-01-2016, 03:24 PM
What year, where was it made, what is the top made of....

These are questions you need to know. I have had an acoustic brought to me where the bridge had 'mysteriously' lifted away from the soundboard. Once I'd got working on the soundboard the reason the bridge came off was particularly apparent. The soundboard at the bridge was less than 1mm thick....and had no plate to speak of under the pins....

I prefer the sound of a natural acoustic, which is also why you see the likes of Tommy E and company who take the cr@p off the soundboard anyway they can...

So I'd do it, take the gunk off of it, but be mindful that any deep dings you will need to steam out (if at all possible) but throw some natural Clear DingoTone on it once finished. You wont regret it.

Wisdom
08-01-2016, 09:06 PM
I'm not sure of the year, but I'm thinking it was built in the 80s. It's a model FG-312, I believe the top is spruce. I'll post some pictures tonight.

Wisdom
09-01-2016, 12:41 PM
It was built in Taiwan.

Wisdom
09-01-2016, 01:03 PM
7502 7503

7504 7505

Wisdom
09-01-2016, 01:04 PM
7507 7508
7509 7510

wazkelly
09-01-2016, 03:26 PM
Other than the headstock the rest looks alright to me, not much more than usual wear & tear for a 30 odd year old instrument. Personally I would just apply some wax to help cover any thin or bare patches and not stress about lack of a perfect 'As New' finish. Besides, all the minor nicks and bumps add character and refinishing can sometimes ruin the tone of an aged instrument. Need to decide what is most important, tone or appearance. For me it is always tone, playability then appearance.

Wisdom
09-01-2016, 08:01 PM
I used these three products on the back, it made a huge difference. 7515I'm not disgusted by it or anything. I actually agree with you, and I think she has lots of character.I was really just looking for a project, and something that would familiarize myself with guitar finishes. do you think that sanding and oiling the top would change the tone?